“Pretty good, but not as good as they think they are” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
JJ's at the Copper Pot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Laurie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Kansas
“Pretty good, but not as good as they think they are”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant several times, mostly because my husband likes it and there are not any better options on the West side of the Lake. The service is usually impeccable and friendly. The atmosphere and menu make you think the food will be very high quality, but it actually varies in quality. The salad service is excellent. They bring out three amazing dressings and delicious croutons and you kind of assemble your own. After that, it usually goes downhill. I ordered something with Hollandaise a while back and it was so grainy, thick and awful. The sauce on the chicken with morels was awful, too. The lobster macaroni and cheese was overcooked. I liked the risotto in the scallops and risotto, but the scallops were not cooked correctly. Scallops should be dried well and then put in a hot pan to sear. That had clearly not occurred because there was not a good sear on them and they were really overcooked. Actually, the fish and seafood that I get here is typically overcooked. They do better with beef dishes like prime rib. I have to agree with the reviewer who talked about the crème brulee. I have had that all over the country and it is TERRIBLE here! The coffee vaculator and cheesecake is very good.

One time we were there when there was some happy hour event in the bar (I think a Thursday?). The restaurant was really loud during this, so if you are looking for a quiet dinner, you might want to find out when that is. At the time, I got the impression it was a weekly (or was it monthly?) event.

One time when we went in, I was not very hungry, I just wanted the salad and a bowl of soup. It was going to cost over $20 because they would only let me have the salad with a meal OR pay a ridiculous cost for it. I also thought that the server was a little rude about me wanting this, almost like they only want you there if you are going to order a full meal. So, my advice is to only go here when you are super hungry.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Gilberts Ilinois
“Best onion salad dressing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place has amazing food... They serve an onion salad dressing that is out of this world. You can even buy it by the bottle. It drove all the way back to Chicago with me in the front seat.

• Visited May 2013
Maryville, Missouri
“Creme Brulee”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Ordered creme brulee and was served some sort of custard dish which the waitress spent a lot of time trying to carmalize it at the table, it wouldn't even carmel. When the waitress was advised that this was not creme brulee that we ordered she looked like 'so what' and brought me my check. MY ADVISE>>> never order creme brulee at JJ's....

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leawood, Kansas
“Best in town.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Special dinner with friends. Everyone had a different entree and each was good. Shared the calmare and the escargot. Both exceptional. The steaks were prepared as requested and the fish dishes were flavorful and not fishy. The bar drink specials were special. The family style salad was very good.

• Visited September 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A Tuesday night treat, can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were attending a Conference on the other side of the Lake of the Ozarks and wanted a nice dinner away from the hotel banquet food. We found it! JJ's at the Copper Pot was a treat on the Tuesday night we went and would be exceptional any night of the week. First, the service: Personal, precise, and professional. Our server Mary, who we learned near the end of the evening is one of the owners (how rare is that to have a restaurant owner out serving the guests?!), could not have been nicer, offering us the full range of their fare, accepting graciously when we passed on appetizers, and explaining every detail about the meal (e.g., the salad dressings are made in house, the specials for the night, and the exquisite desserts). Next, the food itself: Well prepared, well seasoned, and presented well. We also met the other two owners as well and enjoyed their enthusiasm for their restaurant and the experience they seek to offer to their guests. We made the right choice to drive to the other side of the lake for this meal. Our best memory of the conference will be this meal at JJ's at the Copper Pot. We're already looking forward to returning next year ... or maybe sooner!

• Visited September 2013