“Critics?? We didn't see what you saw.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at Port Arrowhead

You added The Resort at Port Arrowhead to your Saves list
The Resort at Port Arrowhead
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3080 Bagnell Dam Boulevard, PO Box 1930, Lake Ozark, MO 65049   |
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Mount Pleasant, Iowa, United States
“Critics?? We didn't see what you saw.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at Port Arrowhead. Read reviews before doing so. To be honest, im not sure where the bad reviews came from. My family of 5 had a blast!!! The staff was nothing short of awesome! The outdoor pools were unreal. We stayed in a family futon suite, with very comfy beds. Had a small problem getting our tv to work, and maintainence man (Tommy I believe) was there in a flash to fix it. This is NOT a brand new resort, nor do they claim to be. I noticed that GM John Custer answers most reviews online (good and bad) That is integrity you don't often see. We will be back to Port Arrowhead!!! Keep up the great work, The White's.

Room Tip: I would suggest the family futon suites for families with 2 or more children.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
John C, General Manager at The Resort at Port Arrowhead, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to leave such a nice review. More often than not if a guest has a good stay / experience they do not take time to leave a review. I only wish that when a guest has an issue with our Resort they would bring it to our attention while they are here so we could correct it. So many times when we get negative reviews we have no idea there were issues until we read the review. I take pride in trying to make sure each guest leaves happy wanting to return and find it disheartening when I read a negative review. Again, Thank You for leaving such a great review for our Resort and we look forward to having you back as our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Seriously? A resort? We stayed in building D. Don't know what the other buildings with rooms are like, but let me warn others of this one. Our room had a damp, musty feeling. The fitted sheet on the king size bed had two visible stains, the curtain had a burned spot on it, least I hope it was a burned spot. Afraid to pick at it or look too closely. The carpet was worn and just felt like there was ground in dirt from years of being there or never properly cleaned. The bathroom had no exhaust fan and the corners of the bathroom floor had dust, fuzz, and bits of hair that had not been cleaned. The hallways were very warm for mid July and they too were in a desperate need of a deep cleaning or compete overhaul. As we entered the building, there was dirt on the floor between the mat and door....lots of dirt. I should have ran then, but my spouse had a meeting there the next day. If you are a business, and expect your employees to have meetings there, reconsider. Find another place, because it may send the message that you don't find them valuable. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Should be well ventilated, clean bed linens, pristine bathroom. Bathroom sink's overflow hole s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived around 4 am. I was told someone would be there 24/7. When we arrived felt as though we put the front desk out. Payment couldn't be figured out was told to come back at a later time. We planned on paying at check out but our key was disabled due to non payment! Later key disabled again despite payment. Disappointed for the amount of $$$ spent.

• Stayed July 2013
John C, General Manager at The Resort at Port Arrowhead, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I am sorry for the issues you had with the keys to your room. Sometimes in the middle of the night when we are changing dates in the computer system we can’t accept payments. I hope this was the case when you checked in. I would like to have you come back as our guest again in the near future to prove the issues you had were an isolated instance and not our normal way of operating. I do want to Thank You for taking time to leave a review and ask that you please call me to make reservations if you would consider coming back.
Centralia, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our biggest disappointment was the ice cold indoor pool. We couldn't get in it. The showers have poor water flow. The floors in the room were dirty, lots of bugs, dead & alive. It's our 1st & LAST stay at The Resort at Port Arrowhead.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
John C, General Manager at The Resort at Port Arrowhead, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback regarding your stay. We did recently replace our indoor pool heater and believe it was during that period you were staying with us. On another note we do reduce the temperature of our indoor pool in the summer months to correspond with the outdoor temperature. We do have a professional pest control company service our property monthly but with the unusual rainy spring and summer we are experiencing this year it has been a challenge to stay on top of all the bugs. I would hope to have you back as a guest again to prove we are better than what your first experience was.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family and I used to like going to Resort at Port Arrowhead, especially when my daughter was younger because it was a nice place to bring your family, especially if you had kids. They would have many activities for the kids such as hair braids, wash off tattoos, hula hoops, water races, movies at the pool, etc, In addition, there was activities for the adults, such as music trivia, bingo, etc. A DJ was around to play songs while you were enjoying laying out or in the pool. Yet, we went there July 5-7 2013, which is during the 4th of July weekend. You would think that they would have a lot of activities like they have had in the past. Yet, that was not the case. They had a balloon toss and bingo during the time we were there. Music played in the background, but only for a couple of hours. Again this was during the 4th of July weekend, so you would think they would expect a big crowd and would have plenty of activities. Yet, since they didn't I would hate to think what a non-busy weekend was these days. It was disappointing because even when my daughter grew up and could no longer play the kid games it was still fun to see the kids enjoy the activities, and like I said there were things for the adults to play as well. It was 1 of the reasons we would stay at the Port Arrowhead because it seem to cater a little more to the families than the other hotels, even if it meant that we had to pay a little more. Yet, now Port Arrowhead has become just a regular hotel that is overpriced. Not to mention that they charge you a Resort Fee and I'm not sure what makes them think that it is a resort. There is another resort at the lake of the Ozarks called TanTara, and I do consider that a resort, but it has a whole lot more to offer than Port Arrowhead. A resort usually means that it has just about everything and therefore you didn't have to leave the premises if you didn't want to. Port Arrowhead is not anything like TanTara, and therefore I don't see why Port Arrowhead feels they can charge a resort fee. Like I said to me Port Arrowhead no longer offers anything more than the hotels like Econo Lodge or Comfort Inn. As a matter of fact as it looks now we are better off at staying somewhere like a Comfort Inn because it is cheaper and it includes a free breakfast, and from my understanding the rooms are not any different than those at Port Arrowhead.
I'm not sure if Port Arrowhead is under new management or if they just don't care and have just let things go downhill. Yet, they may want to go back to what they used to do.....cater to families. If they don't then they could find themselves losing a lot more business because like I said we just don't see the value of paying a lot of money for a place that is not any different than an Econo Lodge. As I mentioned we are looking at possibly staying elsewhere the next time we go down to the lake. There are a couple of other places we checked into while we were there that offered a lot more (such as a suite and breakfast) and cost a lot less...so I would be getting my money's worth, and I wouldn't be paying a resort fee for somewhere that wasn't really a resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking time to review our resort and I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. The $5.00 resort fee we charge is for our Indoor Pool & Hot Tub, Two Outdoor Pools, Miniature Golf Course and Shuffle Board Courts. I agree with you that we in no way compare to Tan Tar A which is much larger than our property and offer an Indoor Water Park (for an additional fee). We do have a restaurant and lounge on property which serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in season. In addition to our “Dive in Movie” at night we do still have music playing poolside and do offer poolside kid & adult activities on weekends.
I will share your concerns with our current owner and again apologize for not living up to your expectations.
House Springs, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We usually avoid resort type places and I wish we could have in this instance. We stayed there over the 4th of July through the following weekend. With parking at a premium, I cannot believe they allowed boat parking in the hotel lot. (One boat taking up six spaces.)The cleaning staff was poor at best. The shower was slimy. The carpet was so filthy that you feet (socks) were black from walking on it. There were cobwebs in the corners. The only bright spot was the restaurant for breakfast. While the buffet was overpriced, the food was better than average and the wait staff was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking time to review our resort and thank you for choosing to stay with us. I know the boat you are referring to and we did have them move it once we found the owner. I apologize for the condition of your room in regards to cleanliness as that is not our normal way of operating. Thank you for your favorable comments regarding our restaurant & staff as we hope to have you back as a guest again to prove your concerns are the exception and not the normal way we conduct business.
Marthasville, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

It had been a few years since I stayed at The Resort at Port Arrowhead and the place really could use some attention. The bedding was stained, the towels were stained and threadbare, there were bugs and the air conditioner must not have been working because while it stayed cool, everything in the room was wet with humidity. The pool area was still beautiful and the meeting rooms were fine. I did not eat the breakfast provided to our meeting, but it looked very good and plentiful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking time to review our resort and the positive comments about our outdoor pools and meeting rooms. I was very disheartened to read your comments about our linens as we have purchased new bed linen and terry towels in the last several months to upgrade our current inventory. We make every attempt to maintain our in room air conditioners and filters on a regular basis and I apologize for the issues you had with the air conditioner. Our ultimate goal is to make sure each guest leaves happy and I again apologize for the concerns you had during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Ozark
#2 of 13 in Lake Ozark
3.5 of 5 stars 725 reviews
Camden on the Lake Resort, Spa, & Yacht Club
Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark

Been to The Resort at Port Arrowhead? Share your experiences!