“Community Dump!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alhonna Resort

Alhonna Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Ozark
Alhonna Resort
Save Saved
You added Alhonna Resort to your Saves list
677 Outer Drive, Lake Ozark, MO 65049   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
“Community Dump!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have been staying at this resort for about 8 years (a couple times a year). This is the last time!! We stayed there memorial weekend and I was relaxing on patio by pool and a group of people walked up from the lake and sat down at table next to me. They had about 8 kids with them...While they ordered drinks...the kids went to the pool and used tne resort facilities. I was shocked people would do that at a resort they were not staying at. Then we stayed at the resort on the July 4th weekend....there were many boats with large groups of people coming off the lake....one boat had 17 people. They sat down ordered drinks and went in tne pool. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I was paying $200 BUCKS a night to stay and share the facilities with everyone on the lake. There were so many poeple at the pool we could not even get a chair. I reported what was happening to the office and they said it was hard to control (that's scary)...if you like relaxing and not sharing resort you pay to stay at with the community and other creepies stay somewhere else. NEVER AGAIN. NOT A FAMILY RESORT. This is mainly for college kids and drunks.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This review is long but hopefully will provide a comprehensive overview of the resort. My husband and I spent three days at Alhonna attending as part of a very large Great Dane organization (we occupied at least 80-90% of the rooms). The resort did absolutely everything within their power to make us feel welcome and well cared for. Not only was our comfort a priority but their services extended to our gentle giant pets. Drinking water buckets were placed around the core of the resort, areas were designated for the dogs to potty and disposal containers were provided. The cabin included everything we would possibly need and was clean and tidy. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The food at Bobbers is country style and tasty!

We stayed in the lower floor of a three bedroom cabin (unit is compartmentalized so the two floors can be rented autonomously with separate entrances). The guests that rented the top floor misrepresented themselves to management as a party of two there for the purpose of fishing.. when in fact there were five young men who spent the majority of their first day drinking and being obnoxious. Management addressed their behavior and warned them they would be removed should they behave in a similar fashion day two. Night two they repeated their behavior of the first night waking us up with screaming and horsing around. I called management at 1:30a.m. and security arrived within two minutes. The men were informed in no uncertain terms that they were being watched and removal was imminent. The rest of the night was quiet and we were greeted at breakfast by management staff to get our input and expressing their desire to "make things right". Those guests are now banned from future rental and arrangements were made for us to attend in 2014 with the group.

If you are looking for the Ritz.. stay elsewhere. If comfort, great location and family are your priority.. this is the place for you! We look forward to many years of vacations at Alhonna!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Decks views and grills on each room. Great super clean rooms. Fun. Lots of trees and beautiful sunsets!!! Stay here...you will love it. It feels good..like vacations did when I was a kid! This is a nice change, flowers, trees, nice people and great cove location!

If you are a CEO fat cat and drive a Ferrari, you and your fake breasted young wife might complain about a few things...but fine..go stay at H.Toad and enjoy your concrete structure and $380 a night in season rate suite...and you will enjoy what your are use to.

For most of us...the price, views and lake access AND location is awesome. Take a boat to Shady Gators, H.Toad, Dock Knockers as they are all 1/2 mile up the shore.

If your hungry....try Chicago Brothers Pizza bar restaurant in Osage Beach. Order the Chicago Beef sandwich with au jus....its outragously delicious for $7.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This was our first of many stays at alhonna Resort, the unit we stayed in over looked the lake it was peaceful, fun, and breathe taking. I can't wait to go back. The atmosphere is fun and friendly, we had no problems with our stay only that it was to short!! Already planning another trip.

• Stayed May 2013
Central Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Let me first say that, if you are looking for Hyatt Regency or J.W. Marriott accomodations, thaty is not what Alhonna is all about. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation lakeside with kitchen facilities, then I highly recommend Alhonna Resort at Lake of the Ozarks. Our group of 3 persons stayed in UNIT #39, a 2-bedroom, 1 3/4 bath kitchenette unit just steps from the lake's edge. This unit was remodeled over the winter 2012/2013, and when we walked through the door, we felt like it would be a home away from home while we were there. The decor was tasteful and homey, and the living room/kitchen/dining room combination had a daybed, two side chairs, a nice-sized dining table with 4 chairs, a refrigerator/freezer, full-sized stove with oven and a dishwasher. The cabinets were filled with all kitchen necessities needed for our 3-day trip there. One bedroom had a king-sized bed with it's own bathroom facilities, while the second bedroom had a double bed. The 2nd bathroom in the unit had a very nice, new corner shower unit. The unit had a wall-mounted flat screen television as well. On the deck outside the front door was a picnic table and a very nice Weber grill. Unit #39, when using all the bedding options, can accomodate 6 sleepers.

We ate at Bobber's Restuarant on-site at the resort and the meal was good and well-priced. Alhonna's has a bar, with a pool table, flat screen televisions, and numerous video games for anyone who might want to enjoy an evening there, with limited indoor seating, but oodles and oodles of tables and chairs available on the deck outside the bar overlooking the large outdoor pool with wading pool for the little ones. Alhonna also has a nice-sized indoor pool that was very clean, as well as two fabulous 8-person hot-tubs, which we utilized several times and found to be clean and in good working condition.

The reason for our vacation was to enjoy a weekend of fishing. Despite the unseasonably cold temperatures, we were able to get out and do some fishing off the docks at Alhonna, and with some direction from one of Alhonna's employees as to where some of the "hot spots" were, we were able to catch enough crappie to make a meal. All the crappie that we caught were above the 9-inch limit for Lake of the Ozarks, and we caught a few that were 12" or longer. We did not have much luck catching anything in the fish house, but it did protect us from the cold wind, and it was very clean as well, and had a nice area for us to clean the fish we caught on the docks.

Our reservation was handled professionally, and all staff members that we came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. There were two playgrounds on-site for children, as well as a couple swim docks. We experienced no problems with noise from other units, which says a lot since the resort was filled-up when we were there, with individuals participating in a bass tournament and a car show on the Bagnall Dam strip.

The only reason I did not give Alhonna 5 stars is because the beds were extremely firm and we all woke up with back pain each morning, which is probably more about our needs than their accomodations. Other than the beds, Unit #39 perfectly met all of our needs for the weekend.

Thanks, Alhonna Resort, for providing us with a nice weekend getaway!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 37-40 were all updated in Winter 2012/2013 and are all Lakeside units, just steps from the fis...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wright City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been to Alhonna several times over the last few years, the rooms have always been subpar and a bit dingy,and the staff a bit RUDE - but the fishing was decent. HOWEVER this past weekend was the last time I will EVER BE WASTING MY HARD EARNED MONEY AT THIS RESORT!!! Even though we called before coming down and were told the docks would be open we were not granted access any of the docks all weekend and were rudley denied any discount or raincheck by the female owner!! Oddly enough my wife stayed over at Lakeview Resort the same weekend caught limit of NICE crappie and had a fanatastic suite for less than I spent watsing time at this DUMP!!!!! DONT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ssamme, Owner at Alhonna Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
As business owners, we would be unwise to tell a customer that an amenity is available, when in fact it is not.

We called this customer more than 36 hours prior to their scheduled arrival on February 22 to advise them that because of the recent and predicted snowfall (Winter Storm Rocky on 2/21: 6" - on top of 3" of ice and sleet from Winter Storm Q on 2/19) that our docks were and would be inaccessible. The customer asked if they could let us know the next day if they still wanted to keep their reservation as they were coming down specifically to fish. During that phone call, the customer was offered a full refund of their deposit or the option of applying the deposit to a future stay. Again, it was stressed that if they chose to keep their reservations, all docks would be off limits for their own safety.

Upon arrival, the guest was told again, that for their safety, the docks were not accessible. He was unhappy and argumentative. We were unequivocal and direct. We were never rude. They chose to stay with us anyway and fish elsewhere. We are happy they were able to find a location that had an open dock.

Over the last 3 years, this customer has stayed 5 times and has never mentioned anything to management about being less than satisfied with their accommodations or our staff. One would assume that since they kept returning, they were satisfied.

Often reviews become a matter of he said - she said....the facts here are quite simple: 1) our location went through 2 major winter snow/ice storms; 2) our docks and grounds were snow and ice covered and we made the decision to close them to our guests for safety reasons; 3) the guests were informed of this closure prior to arrival and; 4) a refund was offered prior to arrival and was declined. We could go on to say that because we enforced our safety policy we received a bad review and where his wife stayed received a glowing review, but we will leave that conclusion to discerning reader of this reply.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is the 5th time we have stayed at Alhonna and I must say it is getting worse every year. We arrived and the room appeared to be clean for the most part (a few dead bugs in the bathroom but not a big deal since they were dead). We stayed in the largest 3 bedroom they offered since we had 6 people and did not want to be cramped. The beds are so uncomfortable I could hardly sleep. In the middle of the night we noticed the room getting very warm even with the fan on, despite the thermostat being set on 72 the temperature outside getting down to 50. We turned down the thermostat even more. When we got up in the morning we noticed that there were only air vents in the main living area, kitchen and the back bedroom so needless to say the people in the back bedroom were freezing by morning. Also in this particular unit both of the bathrooms are located in the bedrooms on either end, so they are not convenient if you have to go to the bathroom and the others are sleeping.
Next we had a buffet style dinner in Bobber's restaurant. The restaurant overall appeared clean however the salt and pepper shakers were sticky along with the plastic table cloths, and the silverware was wet. The food quality is also getting progressivly worse, the fried chicken tasted like it was fried in old grease and the pork steaks were over cooked and very rubbery. After sleeping in that bed 2 nights in a row, I woke up on sunday to an achy back and shoulders. Don't get me wrong, I realize this is an older resort but if I can't get a comfortable bed then what is the purpose of staying there? If they are going to make any improvements to the property I would start with all the beds! I don't care about the old decor, just want to feel rested in the morning.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the left side of the resort near the water treatment pump, it is very loud. Ask how...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ssamme, Owner at Alhonna Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hi DP

I am so sorry your stay was unsatisfactory and I want you to know that we take our customer’s happiness VERY seriously. My husband and I have been managing Alhonna for that last couple of years and while we have made huge strides in some areas, we are still working on others. The unit you stayed in is one of those “others”. A remodel of both bathrooms, including an alternative entrance to the first bathroom had already been slated for this unit starting after our last group leaves in December this year. In two years, we’ve accomplished complete remodels (including bedding) of 16 units (see the photos on our Facebook page) along with various other projects. We’ve tackled the “worst” offenders first and are steadily making progress through our remaining 44 units as time and budgets allow. Our projects this year include a complete overhaul of 6 two bedroom units and the bathrooms (and hopefully kitchen) in the unit you stayed in. These, along with other smaller planned projects, add up to a better guest experience for those choosing to stay with us in the future.

I will check out the central air situation in the unit you stayed in– what you are describing certainly doesn’t sound sufficient for that size unit. Perhaps there are other vents that were closed or it was not functioning properly. To be honest, I have never had this complaint on this unit, but I will investigate with our maintenance staff to find out why it was not working during your stay.

I do apologize for any dead bugs. All units go through a pre-check in inspection either the night prior to or the morning of arrival. We routinely spray to keep crawling pests under control and sometimes a few may slip in between inspection and arrival. Again, you have my sincere apologies.

After receipt of your email and comments on Trip Advisor, I did speak with the meeting planner (who did re-book for 2013) for your group, regarding her experience with the resort and specifically the banquet. She reported that she had received many favorable comments from others who enjoyed the dinner. Bobber’s Home Fried Chicken and Bar-B-Qued Pork Steak, were prepared using the same recipes and methods that have gotten rave reviews in the past. The fryer oil is changed first thing every Friday morning in preparation for the busy weekend ahead. I addressed the other issues to our Restaurant Manager.

Again, thank you for writing to me with your concerns. Good or bad, guest feedback is always appreciated. We are a work in progress and I hope that you will continue coming to enjoy our beautiful Lake, even if not at Alhonna. Should you decide to give us another chance, I am happy to offer you and your family a 100% money back guarantee on your next stay. If you are not happy for ANY reason, I will refund your payment, no questions asked. I believe in what we are doing and what we have accomplished….I want you to feel comfortable believing in us as well!

Been to Alhonna Resort? Share your experiences!