“Employee Picnic and Family Weekend” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alhonna Resort

Alhonna Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Ozark
Alhonna Resort
Save Saved
You added Alhonna Resort to your Saves list
677 Outer Drive, Lake Ozark, MO 65049   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Employee Picnic and Family Weekend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is the 5th time we have stayed at Alhonna and I must say it is getting worse every year. We arrived and the room appeared to be clean for the most part (a few dead bugs in the bathroom but not a big deal since they were dead). We stayed in the largest 3 bedroom they offered since we had 6 people and did not want to be cramped. The beds are so uncomfortable I could hardly sleep. In the middle of the night we noticed the room getting very warm even with the fan on, despite the thermostat being set on 72 the temperature outside getting down to 50. We turned down the thermostat even more. When we got up in the morning we noticed that there were only air vents in the main living area, kitchen and the back bedroom so needless to say the people in the back bedroom were freezing by morning. Also in this particular unit both of the bathrooms are located in the bedrooms on either end, so they are not convenient if you have to go to the bathroom and the others are sleeping.
Next we had a buffet style dinner in Bobber's restaurant. The restaurant overall appeared clean however the salt and pepper shakers were sticky along with the plastic table cloths, and the silverware was wet. The food quality is also getting progressivly worse, the fried chicken tasted like it was fried in old grease and the pork steaks were over cooked and very rubbery. After sleeping in that bed 2 nights in a row, I woke up on sunday to an achy back and shoulders. Don't get me wrong, I realize this is an older resort but if I can't get a comfortable bed then what is the purpose of staying there? If they are going to make any improvements to the property I would start with all the beds! I don't care about the old decor, just want to feel rested in the morning.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the left side of the resort near the water treatment pump, it is very loud. Ask how...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ssamme, Owner at Alhonna Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hi DP

I am so sorry your stay was unsatisfactory and I want you to know that we take our customer’s happiness VERY seriously. My husband and I have been managing Alhonna for that last couple of years and while we have made huge strides in some areas, we are still working on others. The unit you stayed in is one of those “others”. A remodel of both bathrooms, including an alternative entrance to the first bathroom had already been slated for this unit starting after our last group leaves in December this year. In two years, we’ve accomplished complete remodels (including bedding) of 16 units (see the photos on our Facebook page) along with various other projects. We’ve tackled the “worst” offenders first and are steadily making progress through our remaining 44 units as time and budgets allow. Our projects this year include a complete overhaul of 6 two bedroom units and the bathrooms (and hopefully kitchen) in the unit you stayed in. These, along with other smaller planned projects, add up to a better guest experience for those choosing to stay with us in the future.

I will check out the central air situation in the unit you stayed in– what you are describing certainly doesn’t sound sufficient for that size unit. Perhaps there are other vents that were closed or it was not functioning properly. To be honest, I have never had this complaint on this unit, but I will investigate with our maintenance staff to find out why it was not working during your stay.

I do apologize for any dead bugs. All units go through a pre-check in inspection either the night prior to or the morning of arrival. We routinely spray to keep crawling pests under control and sometimes a few may slip in between inspection and arrival. Again, you have my sincere apologies.

After receipt of your email and comments on Trip Advisor, I did speak with the meeting planner (who did re-book for 2013) for your group, regarding her experience with the resort and specifically the banquet. She reported that she had received many favorable comments from others who enjoyed the dinner. Bobber’s Home Fried Chicken and Bar-B-Qued Pork Steak, were prepared using the same recipes and methods that have gotten rave reviews in the past. The fryer oil is changed first thing every Friday morning in preparation for the busy weekend ahead. I addressed the other issues to our Restaurant Manager.

Again, thank you for writing to me with your concerns. Good or bad, guest feedback is always appreciated. We are a work in progress and I hope that you will continue coming to enjoy our beautiful Lake, even if not at Alhonna. Should you decide to give us another chance, I am happy to offer you and your family a 100% money back guarantee on your next stay. If you are not happy for ANY reason, I will refund your payment, no questions asked. I believe in what we are doing and what we have accomplished….I want you to feel comfortable believing in us as well!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bonner Springs, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Our family of 40+ have been coming to Alhonna for 12 years now. We stay for a week every year and it is the highlight of our year. The Alhonna Family is amazing and so accommodating. If you are looking for a way to relax and just enjoy being on the water, this is the place for you. We spend time with the kids and grandparents at the pools and on the lake during the day and then enjoy down time with the adults at Bobber's or on the deck at night. We take turns cooking for our families every night but do enjoy eating at Bobber's for breakfast. Even if you're used to "luxury" type vacays, this is an experience you can not miss. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

My family and I recently said here for almost a week. Everyone was so friendly. Joe the grounds worker helped us out a lot and knows the area very well. Front desk went out of their way to bring us an iron an ironing board. We stayed in UNITs 54 and 55 which were very spacious and much nicer then I expected after reading some reviews. The place was very clean and had everything we needed. We rented a boat for 2 days and had no problem. I got my deposit right back and they were great about explaining how everything worked. I'd stay here again espically cause you can bring your dogs!

• Stayed July 2012
Peculiar, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you want a 5 star resort, salon, or spa in the lap of luxury then this probably isn't the place for you. But if you have a fun loving group there to fish, golf, or be out sightseeing and shopping most of the day, then it is perfect. Budget friendly, staff friendly, and very fish friendly! We have gone the last several years and stay in the remodeled large units #70 and #71. Fishing docks loaded with crappie and big catfish. Last year I caught 34" and 29" blue cats same day. Good fishing by boat is nearby too. Various discounts are available. I can't wait until our next trip!

Room Tip: Units 70 and 71 are perfect for large groups. Remodeled, quiet, and right by the fishing docks.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boonville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stay at Alhonna for our family reunion. We rent 10+ rooms yearly. We arrived to newly remodeled rooms: new carpet , beds flat screens etc. The indoor and outdoor pool and hot tub areas are super clean, crystal clear water. The staff is fantastic and very kind. The Bobber bar/ resturant is a cute little place to hang out, great food, good drinks and very patient and kind bartenders. Filled with video games, keroake, pool, ect-fun for all ages. The fishing is fantastic, lots of boat slips all located on a quiet cove. Oh yes...........we will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gardner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed for a week and have zero complaints. The fishing was great, staff was awesome, and since it was off season, there was not alot of people. Clean room,we stayed in one of the efficiency units. It had everything we needed. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

DO NOT rent a boat from here! Terrible customer service and had many suspicious damage, etc, "fees" after returning boat. Company was not honest or upfront with fine details on renting a boat. Will never use again! Not worth the rental fee for poor service. Save yourself the headache and the money and rent somewhere else. Did not stay at resort.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Alhonna Resort? Share your experiences!