“Needs work but not as bad as some claim” 3 of 5 stars

Country Club Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   250 Racquet Club Dr, PO Box 1599, Lake Ozark, MO 65049   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Needs work but not as bad as some claim”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We read some of the reviews and were a bit apprehensive about spending a long weekend here but everyone has different expectations and tastes. We stayed here four years ago and remembered the big rooms and great views, so we went ahead. The hotel is under new ownership and is being renovated gradually.
The junior suite we stayed in was huge, it was clean and it met our expectations. The decor is outdated as are the small screen televisions, fixtures, etc. If up-to-date surroundings are your thing then go elsewhere; but the staff was helpful, the breakfast adequate and the rate we paid most reasonable. Once the renovations are completed this will again be one of the top places at the lake.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
CountryClubHotelSpa, Marketing at Country Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and have made note of your suggestions. We already have 40" flatscreen televisions and are working on getting them in the rooms as our occupancy allows. We are also in the process of painting our rooms, as well as getting new draperies. We know you will recognize some of these improvements on your next visit with us. Thank you for your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I don't even know where to begin, honestly. I arrived on a Wednesday night for a Thursday & Friday conference. There were no luggage carts, the hall and lobby were outrageously hot (90-95 degrees). I came in to a reserved room that had no air on and was at least as hot. It was humid and musty.
There was one working ice machine in the entire hotel and no one seemed to be in a hurry to fix it. Coworkers had flying and biting ant-like bugs in their rooms. Damp carpet. No strike plates on the door latches.
The website showed beautiful accommodations, and I am sure they were, 25 years ago. The outdoor pool looked nice, but closed at 8. The indoor pool (which closed at 9) looked nice too, but it was so powerfully chlorinated none of us would go in.
The rooms were musty. There were few in our group who were not severely suffering from allergies by the time our stay was done. There were sneezing, coughing, asthma attacks, etc.
And the cherry on top of two miserable days there... Even though our rooms were under a direct bill contract with a government agency, the hotel placed holds on our individual cards for the amount of our rooms and blamed our banks for the error. All of our banks made the same error? No. We were told there was no manager until it became apparent that we weren't leaving without someone taking responsibility... Suddenly a manager appeared. Go figure. I know our agency has no plans to use them ever again. I would never have paid to stay there and if I wasn't required to be there I would've left without sleeping there.

I definitely would NOT recommend this hell hole to anyone.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Wood River, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This hotel is great for couples and/or families. My wife and I, our two teenage boys, and my mom and dad stayed at this hotel near the end of July. The nice thing is that this hotel is nestled back away from the busy tourist traffic, but is only minutes away from all the attractions if you want to sightsee. We occupied 2 junior suites, which were very clean and big. There was literally enough room to dance around in there, LOL! We brought our own food in order to cut down on spending, and so we were able to get a microwave to use while we were there. The staff was very nice and accomodating. Both the indoor pool, outdoor pool, and hot tub were well maintained. The hotel gym was as big as the gym in my hometown. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to work out. Overall, this hotel exceeded my expectations for the price. We are already planning another family trip at the Country Club Hotel & Spa next summer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bellevue, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo it was filthy, my 2 year granddaughter had a bath one hour later the bottom of her feet were filthy. stove dirty, dish washer very loud, shower in one of the bathrooms had a whole up by the shower head with all mold around it. loved the lay out, furniture was very dirty. not enough silverware. this is the second time we have been here the first time we stayed in the hotel. we have a family reunion with around 50 people. I for one will not be back!! I have been the service industries for 17 years It was my retirement trip also, very disappointed.

Room Tip: go some where else. the management has changed as of this week and the current crop of managers wer...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriends and I planned a Girls Weekend to Lake of the Ozarks. One friend was in charge of finding the hotel and this is what she picked.

All employees we encountered were kind and the location was perfectly fine, but the hotel itself was a big disappointment. To me, "Country Club Resort and Spa" sounds like I will be staying somewhere special. This hotel is no different than a Motel 6. The rooms don't seem to have been updated since it's opening. They have old small box TVs, worn linens, sad carpet and dusty fake flowers. There was a balcony but it had old plastic chairs that were falling apart and a broken screen. Lots of dead bugs and while it wasn't filthy, it just didn't feel clean. It wasn't a room you felt comfortable hanging out in and lounging on the bed or chairs.

This was my first weekend away from my kids and I was looking forward to staying somewhere nice. There really wasn't anything great about this place. It put a bit of a damper on the whole weekend. I didn't want to offend my friend, but if I had been the one to choose this place I would have been embarrassed and checked us out and found something better.

Their website is quite misleading as it doesn't really show you what everything really looks like. I can't blame my friend for thinking it was a decent place by the looks of the website.

• Stayed September 2013
Hermitage, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Enjoyed the location, staff, meeting rooms & guest rooms very much. Needs some updating, but it is in progress. Can't wait until next year to see the improvements. The location is very quiet, yet close enough to go shopping or sightseeing. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. Our room was clean and the amenities were very welcome (coffee pot, refrigerator, iron & ironing board, & flat screen TV...The only thing I would like to have had would be a microwave, and that may be forthcoming). The pools were large and very accessible. Our meeting rooms were set up nicely and the staff was very accommodating to our needs. The food was great and the entertainment at the hotel was super. Ownership just changed in May 2014 and the new owner seems to really want to upgrade his purchase. Thank you for a wonderful stay at a wonderful place!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The room we stayed in looked like they were coming back the day we left to finish renovations. There was paint, dead bugs and other things all over the floor. Didn't look like it had been vacuumed in days. There were 3 chairs in the room with multiple stains and looked so old that I was afraid to sit in them. There was no couch or big comfy chair to lounge on. There was one very small dresser that barely could fit two days of clothes for two people. Fake flowers were their choice of decor and they were covered in dust. There was a desk but it wasn't usable because it doubled as the TV stand. This is a smoking room with no ash tray. There was a 2 x 4 laying on the ground in front of the door to the walk out patio. The screen on the door was ripped. There were bags in the air conditioning unit. Also the bed spread was snagged and looked about 15 years old. This was a horrible experience and I will not return. The desk manager was very nice though but so far that's the only good thing about my stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us. We have come under new management recently, and many of the issues that you mentioned are currently either in progress or will be addressed over the course of the next several months as occupancy allows. We do hope that you will revisit us in the future after we have made those improvements. Thank you for your input.

Been to Country Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!