“A week at the lake” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lodge of Four Seasons

Save Saved
You added Lodge of Four Seasons to your Saves list
Lodge of Four Seasons
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Horseshoe Bend Parkway, P.O. Box 215, Lake Ozark, MO 65049   |
Ranked #2 of 13 hotels in Lake Ozark
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A week at the lake”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Spent five days here in the early part of the week...which really matters. The first few days there it was about a 1/3 full the last day it was 3/4 or more full.

The resort is clean and well kept. The kids activity center was fun and the boat rental on property was very good. We stayed in a condo and it was just fine..although the pillows were like bricks.

I listed service as poor for a few reasons. First the lobby/piano bar was not open either night we went..tough to watch the game and get a drink with no employees. Second getting pool towels is a chore..after asking three different employees another guest went to another property pool and got some from that pool..no employee ever brought any. Third, and most discouraging was the pool bar was opened late the one day and incredibly late another (we were told it opened at 10am) The last day we stayed there were were about 30 people asking employees about the bar ever opening...every employee gave the same answer "I don't know why it isn't open" Finally one employee at the desk said it opens late because it isn't a very full resort today.
Not sure if we would go back simply based on that premise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jtaylor1975, Guest Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
bmkear-

Thank you for spending your week with us! We know you have choices while at the Lake and we were pleased you chose us. I would like to apologize for our Parrott bar not being open on the day before you departed. This is in no way an excuse, but ultimately it was because our bartenders were attending a TIPs (training of intervention procedures) class which is a required course for all our bartenders to attend to be employed at the Lodge. We choose this particular day because the house counts were lower than the rest of the week. This course is to train bartenders on how to recognize, and how to handle certain situations that can arise at bars. Please know we did have the Parrott bar, opened by 3:00pm that day.

We do appreciate the kind words regarding our activities and cleaning staff and we will be sure to share with them. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to have you back at the Lodge very soon!

Sincere Regards,

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We just returned from a short stay here and truly enjoyed it. The resort is well maintained, has a great location on the Lake of the Ozarks and is close to many restaurants. The pool area is beautiful with a nice view of the lake - it could use a few more umbrellas - but that's our only complaint. We had lunch and breakfast at the resort and were amazed at the size of the portions - prices were reasonable. Our room was fairly large and had a mini refrig and a balcony overlooking the lake. T

This is a nice place to stay and we'd give it four stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jtaylor1975, Guest Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
13Ezra-

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments on your recent stay with us. We also appreciate your input regarding the umbrellas out at the pool. Thanks to guests like you, we have the opportunity to give attention to request such as this. We will certainly look into those umbrellas and we hope to have you back with us very soon!

Kindly,
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I agree with other reviewers that the grounds are immaculate, however, the hotel itself is seriously dated and overpriced. Our room was in the main building (definitely ask for a room there!) and was relatively clean. The shower was new, but the rest of the room was old and musty (it even had an 80s era tube TV!). The beds were horribly uncomfortable as well and the linens were old and looked dirty. Thankfully, we weren't in the room too much of the time. As for the staff, most everyone was very friendly and helpful. Although, I will say that I was not pleased when a valet asked me to pay him $30 cash to park my car in the arrival area of the hotel and then did not even help us with our bags. I later found out that valet service is free and felt taken advantage of to say the least. On a bright note, Alex in the Thirst bar is so fun and friendly that he made up for my experience with the valet. Alex also makes a fabulous cocktail! I highly recommend spending time in that bar. H.K's restaurant was also very good. We tried the Friday night seafood and prime rib buffet and it was delicious! The manager at H.K.'s also was a highlight and seemed genuinely happy to know everyone who walked in the door. The pool area is nice and lively. The pool bar has great food and drinks (not too expensive either). All in all, I would say that our visit was pleasant, but not special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building and don't give into the valet's extorsion attempts!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jtaylor1975, Guest Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
MSM93-

Thank you for your recent visit to the Lodge of Four Seasons. We appreciate the time you took out to share your experience. You are correct our valet is complimentary to all Lodge guests. However, we do charge for reserved parking at the entrance which is $10.00 per night. I’m not sure if this was somehow confused, or if the bellman didn’t explain this correctly. Please know I will share your comments with the valet attendants. We thank you for your business and we look forward to the oppurtunity of welcoming you back soon.

Sincere Regards,
Saint Joseph, Missouri, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The grounds are nearly immaculate, beautifully landscaped, and well tended. The front bellstaff is courteous and quick. You are met by a wonderful and helpful desk staff. In fact, my credit card had hit its limit; a very frustrating experience. The desk manager assured me this was not the first time, and she was able to make other payment accomodations.
The rooms in the north building were secure, quiet and clean. The large walk-in shower was a pleasant surprise. The room service was efficient, although I wish they had a larger menu. The lox & bagel was sublime.
We did not use the marina.
We have played on the lodge's golf course. Although the grass was somewhat dry at the time of summer we were there, it was still a fun outing. There are interesting shots to be made in the hills of the Ozarks. The front nine allows you to order a sandwich before arriving at the clubhouse. The back nine meanders behind some
homes, and then back alongside the highway. Some holes can be quite challenging.
Cuisine at the lodge is interesting, but the hours are limited. If you desire a different experience, or ethnic food, the visitor will have to drive a ways from the property to the business highway.
Value is good, particularly when compared with resorts out west, or back east.
However, to the traveler, the cost is at the upper end. This is more of a destination experience. Every water-associated sport is available from the lodge's marina. And there are plenty of family associated activities in the surrounding areas, including gorgeous Missouri state parks.

Room Tip: There is the main lodge, and some close-by extensions. There is also a separate north building, wit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Steven P-

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! It’s reviews like yours we have great pleasure of sharing with the staff that work hard to make your stay enjoyable. We appreciate the time you took out, but most importantly your patronage. Thank you for your continued loyalty and we look forward to hosting your next stay soon.

Kind Regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I always enjoy my stays at the Lodge and this time was no exception. Although some parts of the Lodge look dated, the grounds and facilities are very well-maintained. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The Lodge works at making stay enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Carol H-

It is with great pleasure of welcoming you back each and every time. We truly appreciate the time you took out to share your kind words. We can’t wait to have you back real soon!

Kindly,
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

1. The bath towels that were provided were completely and utterly frayed along all of the edges to the point that they were extremely embarrassing. The towels were WAY, WAY, WAY past their prime.

2. The coffee lids that are provided for the Styrofoam coffee cups in the rooms do NOT fit the cups. My husband and I thought that it was very humorous that someone blatantly ordered the wrong lids and that the detail was either missed or neglected, so all of the rooms had lids that didn’t fit the cups (complete disregard for details as seen throughout the rest of the resort).

3. The resort looks as if it has not had been updated since the 1970s. My husband and I could not recall the last time that we saw CONSOLE TELEVISIONS in a hotel room. Very outdated, as is the rest of the resort.

4. We also could not believe the quality of the coffee maker in the room. It was a total piece of crap (like all of the other appliances). A majority of hotels at this point have upgraded to the single serve coffee makers in the hotel rooms that operate similar to Keurig or Tassimo. The coffee makers that the Lodge uses are the type you would expect in a hotel room back in the 1970s.

5. The refrigerator in the room is completely useless because it does NOT get cold. The refrigerator brand is Haier. If you are not familiar with that brand, this brand is the CHEAPEST and WORST refrigerator that Best Buy sold when I worked there 7 years ago.

6. The heavy curtains in the room that were intended to keep the sun out were ripped in multiple places.

7. My husband and I traveled to the Seven Seasons Winery, because it was listed as the #1 thing on the Lodge of Four Seasons’ lake area activities. First, the address listed on the Lodge of Four Season’s website for the winery cannot be found in any GPS because it is on a private road. We had to call the winery to get the actual GPS address to input into the GPS. Once you get to the “private road” that leads to the winery there are several miles of steep hills (like hold on to your chair handles and put your head against your head rest type hills) and extremely sharp turns to get to the winery. Once we arrived at the winery, we were so glad that it actually existed in the backwoods that had lead us there, that we were eager to find a bottle of wine. The wine sucked. Yes, all of them, and they were way overpriced. However, we bought one anyway since we had driven so far out of the way.

8. My husband and I brought our overpriced bottle of wine to the balcony attached to our room to enjoy, but when we got out to the balcony we found that our balcony was covered in spider webs.

9. …My husband and I were using our room’s balcony only because the Rooftop area of the hotel which has seating and a beautiful view of the lake is apparently off limits to hotel guests…

10. The walls are so thin that we heard our neighbors having obnoxiously loud sex. Yes, I mean ever moan and every nasty word. My husband and I tolerated it and after about 30 minutes, it finally stopped. Except that after they stopped, a roomful of people came back to that same room to party. It was about midnight at this point, so we called down to the front desk to ask that the room next to ours be asked to quiet down. The guy at the front desk said that he would, and I quote, “send someone from security up.” A few minutes later, we heard the loud group in the other room laughing about how security CALLED (which is much different than sending security up the room) and asked them to be quiet. Still the group was obnoxiously loud and continued to party. My husband FINALLY around 1:00 a.m. in his pajamas walked down to the front desk to make a second request that security ACTUALLY come up to quiet them down.

11. Apparently, it is hotel policy to allow five adults per room with two double beds. The “loud room” next to our room slept four adults in the room AND hung a hammock on the balcony rail for the fifth adult to sleep in. Yes, I did say that they hung a HAMMOCK on the balcony for the fifth person to sleep in. I asked the girl at the front desk whether it was hotel policy to allow five adults to a room and she said it was… On that note…

12. They were not the only guests staying at the resort on Memorial Day weekend that completely and utterly lacked class. The guests were….for lack of a better term…”sketchy.” My husband and I could not figure out how so many “sketchy” people could afford a hotel that averaged $150+ a night. However, I guess when you allow five adults per room and divide the $150/ night, it is only $30 a night. Cheaper than a Motel 6.

13. My husband and I purchased three Pina Coladas at the Parrot Bar and we could not taste any alcohol in them whatsoever. Very disappointing considering how over priced the drinks are at the Parrot Bar.

14. There are thousands of gnats between the pool and the hotel. Once dusk set, you literally had to keep your mouth closed and plug your nose with your fingers while you ran from the pool to the hotel so that you would not get thousands of gnats in your mouth and nose. Gross!

15. My husband and I chose to stay at the Lodge of Four Seasons instead of Tan-Tar-A to avoid all of the children. However, we were very disappointed to see that Lodge of Four Seasons was advertising a new “adventure center for children” in the elevators. Advertising to attract more children to the resort. Um…no thanks.

16. All 3 elevators are in desperate need of an upgrade. They move EXTREMELY slow and the doors barely close. These elevators look like they were built in the 1940s. Truthfully, the only way I can explain the elevators is to say that we were shocked to see that we were not going to need to pull a rope to operate the elevators (the way they did in the 1800s). Several guests throughout the weekend got off the elevator at a floor before the floor that they were staying on merely because they were scared that the elevator was going to break down. Yes, horrifying experience. I would strongly suggest taking the stairs.

17. My husband and I stayed at the Lodge four years ago on Memorial Day weekend and the Lodge gave us complimentary breakfast buffet coupons for Breezes and free cocktail coupons. So, when we checked-in on this trip we asked whether they were extending any of those courtesies to guests, especially returning guests…any type of loyalty incentives? No. The girl that checked us in was extremely rude. She informed us that the resort only offered free drinks/buffets to “groupon coupon deal guests” and told me that I must have brought our last trip through groupon. I told her that I did not book our last stay through groupon or any other type of “deal website.” She then proceeded to look up our last stay to see whether I did buy my previous trip through groupon. However, she could not find my previous stay under my last name, so she insinuated in every possible way that I was lying and that I had never stayed at the resort before. My husband was very offended that she had insinuated that we were lying to her. I finally asked for a manager. Who INFORMED her that the resort changed systems 3 years ago and as a result, their system does not retrieve stays that are longer than 3 years old. Finally, the chick stopped treating me as if I were a complete and utter liar.

18. My husband and I joined the Lodge of Four Season’s e-mail list so that we could collect the “Lodge Perks Certificates” prior to our trip. We presented the certificates to the same chick at check in, who would not apply the Certificates because we purchased our hotel rooms in advance. Um….last time I checked advanced purchase hotel rooms were a good thing. Whatever, I was losing patience with this incompetent chick and called the manager, who explained that he was going to make an exception this time…okay, great…. Apparently, there is some sort of minimal discount for booking your hotel room in advance that would have prevented them from applying $60 in Lodge Perks Certificates to our account. This bit of information is for anyone who is considering signing up for their e-mail list, yes apparently, the certificates are loaded with exceptions.

19. When we checked out, the rude chick that checked us in was the one to help us checkout. (Oh great…) She asked how our stay was and I told her it was terrible. She asked whether we wanted to speak to a manager, and with this list of things, I did not want to take the time that it would have taken me to explain all of this to a manager. I did mention the sexual encounter and hammock in the room next to ours and she offered us free buffet coupons. (WHAT?!!! You just adamantly told me when we checked-in that you guys only offered buffet coupons to “GROUPON coupon deal guests”!) Whatever…we took the free buffet coupons and just for the record the buffet at Breeze’s is really, really GROSS.

20. When we arrived we asked the bellhop whether there were any luggage carts and he told us that only the bellhop boys could use the luggage carts. My husband and I had several expensive items with us and did not want to leave our luggage unattended with a bellhop, so we preceded back to our car and started unloading our luggage BY HAND to drag it all in ourselves. Once the bellhop noticed that we weren’t going to need use his assistance and therefore he was going to miss the opportunity to score a tip, he made the lengthy walk to our car with a luggage cart so that HE could load it for us and then escort us to our room with the luggage cart and unload it. It was extremely tacky.

21. On the way to our room with the bellhop, we commented about how lucky we were to get a room in the main lodge this trip because on our first trip we had booked a Seasons Bay room and we took one look at the accommodation and the room in the Seasons Bay and were about to run for the hills (thank god, they were able to move us to the main lodge). (It is a lengthy distance from the main lodge and is in even worse condition then the main lodge.) The bellhop took over the conversation at that point and explained to us about how bad the Seasons Bay rooms were. It is one thing to have guests complain about the accommodations, it is completely different to have an employee complaining to the guests about the bad accommodations in the Seasons Bay rooms. Whoa!

22. Overall, next Memorial Day weekend when we make our trip to Lake Ozark (we drove 7.5 hours away from our home for this awful experience!), we will be seeking different accommodations.

Good things about the stay:
1. Adequate amount of parking spaces
2. Good Kobe burgers at Breezes
3. Amazing housekeeping- We were on the 4th floor in the main lodge and we had an elderly African American woman (I think her name was Ethel, Ester, something like that) who did the housekeeping on that floor on Memorial Day weekend. She was nothing short of exceptional, very welcoming, very accommodating, simply marvelous. We met her on the first day of our trip and we were very excited to have met her (especially because of our bad experience with the bellhop and check-in chick). My husband and I were utterly shocked on the 2nd day of our trip that the ONLY employee that we had encountered that was exceptional was being micromanaged by a supervisor, the supervisor was following her from room to room just standing around and watching her as she cleaned. We were very turned off that out of all of the bad service that we received that weekend from the employees that the only good employee that we encountered was being micromanaged as she cleaned. Something is blatantly wrong in the staff management area of this facility.
4. There were 2 girls at the pool Memorial Day weekend that were hosting games and activities and they did a great job.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the Seasons Bay rooms.
Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Verydisappointed-

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience over Memorial Day weekend. I must apologize for your endeavors over that particular weekend as I can imagine you were looking for the peace and serenity the Lodge is known to offer. Unfortunately, during a Holiday Weekend we attract various types of guests from families, couples, to the party goers. With that said we are unable to tell at the time of reservation what type of guests they are which makes room placement very difficult. Please know this is not an excuse as you shouldn’t have had the noise issues during your stay. It’s sad that there are those types of people that don’t have enough respect for others. Please know we will share your comments with the security and front desk teams. I was sadden by the other issues you had while with us and wished you would have reached out to the front desk or any associate to have given us the opportunity to address each of your concerns. If you would like to speak to me about your experience please feel free to email me at jtaylor@4seasonsresort.com. We can only hope for the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Morton, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Older facility, rooms are dated, shower handle turned so hard, I thought I'd break it, so called maintenance, who said, 'just fine'. After that, I had to turn it on for my wife.

Room was clean, everything worked, plenty of space.

Grounds need clean up, unless promoting 'forest natural'.

People were friendly. Good location. The breakfast in the Sunrise room was very disappointing. We did not eat at HK's.

We always enjoy the golf at the Ridge, not so much Cove, but both are nice courses.

It seems to us that business is difficult so some maintenance and upgrade costs have been trimmed.

Room Tip: The inside waterfall is noisy for the first two or three rooms down the hall. Not as bad as an elev...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
jtaylor1975, Guest Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Will6468-

Greetings from the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks. I want to personally thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay. This is the only way that we can make adjustments to improve our product and service. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Been to Lodge of Four Seasons? Share your experiences!