“Past its prime.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lodge of Four Seasons

You added Lodge of Four Seasons to your Saves list
Lodge of Four Seasons
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Horseshoe Bend Parkway, P.O. Box 215, Lake Ozark, MO 65049   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
St.Louis
“Past its prime.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at the Lodge of the Four Seasons for three nights to attend a professional conference. In years past, the Lodge was considered very upscale and catered to high-dollar, discriminating travelers. I think it has been a while since those travelers frequented the Lodge. At least, if my room is any indication.

The pictures I will post will not show you the room in its entirety. If you want to see the full room pictures, you need only look to the Lodge hotel site. What I plan to show you are the little details the marketing pictures will NOT show you.

I’ll start with the good – The room is not lacking for space. The king room I occupied at the main lodge was quite large and the full wall window with sliding door to a balcony lets in plenty of natural light. There are multiple shelves/counter space throughout the room and ensuite bathroom, and a spacious closet to accommodate even the heaviest packers. The service I experienced was also top notch. The valet assisted me with my bags, took care of my vehicle and room service was prompt. Spa Shiki was a delight for a pedicure at a lunch break. I have nothing but compliments regarding the spa.

Sadly, this is where most of my positive comments end. The room was OLD. There is just no other way to describe it. Tired, dated furnishings, window dressings and appliances are really a let down. The room seemed “clean” at first glance. That is to say that there was no visible dust and things were neatly arranged, but once you settle in, you will realize the room’s age and that apparent lack of deep cleaning has left it not as clean as you might have hoped. Thank God I packed some Clorox cleaning wipes. I needed them. The bathroom floor was filthy and the light switches and many surfaces extracted visible dirt upon wiping. While I believe the sheets were “fresh” the mattress pad and comforter were very clearly not, and almost all of the bed linens were stained in some fashion. (See pictures) Large black marks, an apparent small blood stain and other nondescript stains were really unpleasant. I think they were washed – at least the sheets, anyway, but they were stained, and should, therefore, be discarded for use by guests. I won’t even put stained sheets on my guest bed at home! It’s just unpleasant and gross.

Speaking of stains…When I pulled the shower curtain closed to shower the first morning, I noticed a long, yellow stain on the white curtain – which happened to match up nicely with the edge of the toilet. I think we can all assume what that was. Disgusting!

When I first entered the room, my eyes were drawn to one particularly ugly oddity. My room had a pass through door that could be used to connect to the room next door. The door was locked, so I was not concerned about safety, however, the door handle had apparently been ripped out at some point, and no one bothered to replace it! This left a gaping, cracked whole in the door, which again, was just really not aesthetically pleasing and gives you a pretty good indication of management’s commitment to the hotel’s upkeep. Further, there were at least two gusts staying in the room next door (on the other side of the adjoining door) and there was absolutely no sound barrier between the rooms. I could hear everything in that room, as if they were standing in my own. Since those two ladies seemed to wake up earlier and go to sleep later than I, it made it difficult to rest thanks to the noise.

If you plan on getting work done, forget about it! The desk, while ample and well lit, lacks any electrical outlets. Which means, if you need to use your laptop, you need to plug in….let’s see…where can you plug in? It’s not obvious, but there is an open outlet under the vanity across from the bed. That’s it. So, your work area is essentially unusable, unless you plan on getting out your pen and actually writing someone a letter. Did I mention the room was old? Yes – that old. It has not been revamped since before the dawn of electronic communication. You would think that by now someone would have added a lamp with an outlet or even a power strip to facilitate this issue.

There are no towel bars anywhere in the room. You have to either fold up your wet towel or wait for a fresh one. That also means that the hotel must wash EVERY used towel every day of a guest’s stay! Certainly not very green.

On my first morning, I took advantage of the express room service. The breakfast arrived promptly at the time noted, but it was hardly worth it. My eggs were done to perfection, and my order was technically correct, however, the toast was cold and soggy with butter, my bacon was only about half cooked at best. The “country potatoes” were just hash browns with a MASSIVE amount of parsley and spices. So much, in fact, that they looked green and were entirely inedible. So, for $23 total, I ate two eggs, some soggy toast and a glass of grapefruit juice. I rejected the rest.

Also on my first morning, I was awakened early by the light coming though the windows – odd since I pulled the darkening shades closed. There was a rip in the room darkening shade, rendering it unsuitable for its intended purpose.

Finally, the icing on the cake – my conference was not scheduled to end until 12:00pm on my day of check out. Check-out time is clearly posted as 11:00am. Since I was alone at the conference, and my car valet parked, I was hoping to check out after the conference to avoid missing any of the sessions. I called the front desk that morning to inquire about late check out. I was told immediately that very latest I could check out would be 12:00pm and I was reminded that my room keys would no longer work after 12:00pm. So, since that time did not assist me, I had to miss part of my conference to check out, and have the valet drive my car around for loading and then re-park. So, you can imagine how livid I was when a colleague of mine at the conference told me that her husband, who stayed with her in the room, called that morning and requested a late check out so that he could play golf that morning. No problem! They were able to check out at 1:00pm. So, apparently, you either need to be a man and/or paying for golf to get a late checkout. After finding that out, it sealed the deal. Next time I am in the area, I will stay at a different resort.

Room Tip: If you stay in the main lodge, parking is at a premium. Lodge offers complimentary valet. You migh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We appreciate you letting us know your thoughts about our hotel. It is nice to hear you found your guestroom to be spacious and accommodating and you liked the large window and balcony. We are glad that our staff took good care of you, especially the valet who helped you with your bags, and you enjoyed your time in Spa Shiki. We are disappointed that your guestroom fell short of expectations and will certainly alert our maid service about the issues you brought to our attention. We apologize we were unable to accommodate your late check out and will speak to our front desk staff about it. If you have anything further you'd like to talk to us about, please feel free to contact us at guestrelations@4seasonsresort.com. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty! We stayed in the newer Avila condos and they were roomy, clean, elegant, and comfy! They had dishes for food and the maid even ran the dishwasher and emptied it. We were having trouble figuring out the a/c at first, but the maintenance man came right up and showed us that the air vents were closed off....DUH! He was so sweet about it though and very fast! You will not find a better staff anywhere! We got shuttle rides to the Golf Courses, resteraunts, pools, & spa in a moment! The kids loved the Adventure Club! A place where they could go hang out and play on the slide, or watch a movie or play the Kinnect with our without the 'rents'! And when the hubby and I wanted a night alone, the Adventure Club came to our room, hung with the boys and took them swimming, while we were able to eat a fabulous dinner at HK's. Holy cow the steak is like cutting through butter and the lobster melts in your mouth! The family rented a pontoon & jetskis from the Marina and made memories to last a life time. Yeah, that's pricey, but well worth it! We will totally be coming back! Thank you Lodge of the Four Seasons!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Simply put, if you would like to hop in a time travel-mobile, and go back to like 1976, well, that is what it's like. Beds smile at you (mattress must have been 30 years old), a.c. is old and works sporadically, many stains on carpets and furniture. Most people were friendly, but, hey, most folks from the midwest ARE naturally friendly, so that would be expected. I think this place's glory days are well over. I appreciate that it is a "family run" business, but whoever is in charge of this place, like the G.M.-President, or whatever, needs to take a hard look at each guest room, and take a little bit of cash of of their pockets, and re-furbish the place. Heck, it would be much better if it was flagged a Hilton, Marriott, whatever........bottom line, I will NEVER go back to this pit again.

Room Tip: No tips, there are NO good rooms at this pit.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Hello, Tyler. Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you found our staff to be friendly, but are certainly sorry to hear that our accommodations did not live up to your expectations. We do appreciate your feedback, as it is important to us to clearly understand the needs and wants of our guests. Thank you again for your comments.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My daughter and I spent a weekend there to shop and relax at the pool. The lodge was nice but our room was awful! We walked in and saw a chair that was stained, the beds had uncomfortable dips in them, the shower was broken and the air conditioning did not seem to cool the room. Worst $161 room I have ever seen. I called down to complain and the hotel worker said there was nothing she could do other than remove the chair.

Room Tip: I am not sure any room there would be good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Hello, Tamara. We appreciate your review of our hotel and are happy to hear you liked the lodge. We apologize for the problems that you found in your guestroom. We expect our staff to be sensitive to the needs of our guests and usually find that our guests feel the staff is receptive and polite. We are disappointed to hear that your complaints were not handled the way they should have been. We take the opinions of our guests very seriously and will certainly look into the issues you’ve brought to our attention. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us.
West Central Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were a group of 2 couples, ages from 50 - 63. We were just looking for a few days getaway and the Lodge was offered on a local promotion so we thought we would take advantage of a few nights away without having to travel too far. We are near the St Louis area. I am going to add suggestions to my review as I notice someone from the Lodge is reading these reviews and ask for imput to improve the property.

Check in: We arrived at the Lodge after 4 on Monday afternoon. The check in clerks were very nice, our rooms were ready and check in was smooth. The lobby area is very spacious and someday I hope to see that enormous fire pit in use. Maybe a visit sometime in the winter and I'll get my wish. It had a slighly smokey smell and clerk confirmed that they still use the pit in the winter. Most all the staff we encountered were super friendly and always had a smile. More on one bad apple later.

The rooms: We were given rooms on the 4th floor of the main lodge. I was a bit nervous about what kind of conditions the rooms would be after reading some of the reviews but I was pleased. Yes, the rooms have some old furnishings by todays standards but I have stayed at totally new or recently remodeled places. A year after a redo and the furniture starts to show wear as well. It's a shame that people beat up on things that don't belong to them but the furnishing were fine for us. I could see the hall lighting has been updated but they still have old fashioned 12 inch square tiles for the ceiling. Hallways were wide and they do a wonderful job of spacing out the guests for privacy and quiet when not full. There was a comfortable king size bed with nice pillows. The pillows were some of the nicer ones we have found for a motel and there were 5 on the bed. Very comfortable for sleeping. The bed could of used a pillow top in my opinion but I sleep on a 2 1/2 inch memory foam mattress plus a down mattress topper at home for pressure point problems. I do not expect that a hotel is going to have the same but I do find more hotels are putting in plusher topped mattresses and I find it very comfy when I happen upon one of those mattresses. The room was very clean. There was a refrigerator that we had problems with the first night. It had a terrible vibration that kept waking me up through out the night. I would push it and it would quit but after falling back asleep it would start up again and wake me again to repeat the cycle. I did mention this at the front desk the next morning and it was either repaired or replaced while we were at breakfast. If I didn't need to cool things off for boating that morning I would of just unplugged it. Perhaps I should of noticed it sooner but I have to say they were very prompt in taking care of the noisy refrigerator. I just wish I would of had a better nights sleep but it was totally quiet the second night.

The bathrooms: The sinks and toilet were a bit on the low side and I am only 5 foot. The bathrooms have had upgrades to the tile but I think some comfort height toilets and vanities would vastly improve the comfort of the bathrooms. The area was very spacious for our items and there are shelves in the bathroom for towels but no towel bar. I am more than willing to use the same bath towel but would like a towel bar to hand it to dry. The water is extremely hot so be careful, especially if you have little ones. I use very hot water at home but it is set a bit too high for safety with children. Be very dilligent in checking the water temp if you have children. The water pressure from the shower head is excellent. The water temp and shower head pressure were also noted by our friends. They were glad to have a great shower but she mentioned the water being awfully hot too.

Pool: We hung out at the main pool the first night but were disappointed they closed the tiki bar so early. The bartender was very nice, made great drinks and we would of loved to had a few more. The water temp in the pool was a bit on the cool side. We tried to go to the indoor pool but it was closed. Bummer. It was open the second night but we had spent the day on the lake and was not in the mood to swim later.

Grounds: The midwest is experiencing a drought an extensive heat wave. With that in mind I thought the grounds were in as good of shape as could be expected.

Restaurants: After we got out of the pool the first night we just wanted something casual and were disappointed our only choices were either HK's steakhouse or pizza. We opted for a pizza in the room while we played cards. The pizza was EXCELLENT but wished we would of found more choices for casual dining in the evening without having to leave the resort. The tike bar had casual fare but it closed early (like maybe 6?) When on vacation we tend to eat later. We had breakfast both morning in Breezes. Food was great for a buffet and the service was wonderful. Our servers were very attentive and friendly. The top area is warmer, the bottom area is cooler. Just a tip for those that are temperature sensative. We were feeling warm both mornings so sat on the bottom. The buffet has sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, home fries, oatmeal, breads, pastries, cereal, fruit and yogurt. My friend remarked the grapefruit juice was the best she had in a long time.

HK's was a disappointment the last evening. We remarked to the waiter how quiet the resort was and his answer to us was that mostly they catered to business people in the restaurant. Really? We looked around and the tables we observed thru out the evening were either families, couples or groups such as ourselves. I seen no one that resembled a business party.

I ordered a medium steak and it was served well done. When I mentioned it to the waiter he sort of looked at me like he wondered what I wanted him to do with the steak. I suggested he take it back to the kitchen. He returned and said the chef agreed with me that it was over done. Well, thank goodness, the steak was $39 ala carte, I would think he would agree and fix another when there was absolutely nothing that resembled medium on that steak. The steak was fork tender and very good though. My husband had a pasta dish that was just not to our liking at all but that might be a subjective taste thing. Our friends both had the ribs and they were wonderful. Perfectly smoked, tender and small boned. Our salads were delicious and the bread was very good. Friends shared a cinnamon creme brulee and we shared a warm chocolate cake. Our waiter just didn't seem like he wanted to wait on us but seemed to warm up a bit later in towards the meal. The service is Breezes was more attentive.

The next morning we were back at Breezes and the waitress asked how our evening at HK's went. We told her and she passd our comments to the head chef as he visited our table a bit later in our meal to ask about our experience. I was impressed by his sincerity for our experience and I am sure if we could of stayed another night he would of gave us a memorable experience in HK's. I really feel the hotel and staff are trying to make this a great place and I appreciate thier interest in our experience but sadly since we had to leave that day I don't know we would go back to HK's based on our bad experience. He offered to make it up to us on a future visit but since we have no immediate plans to visit in the future I'm sure he wouldn't remember us when we returned, nor would I expect him to, but we really appreciated his gesture.

A suggestion for food, keep Breezes open for dinner for a casual dining experience and/or consider opening a pizza area with some salad offerings, wings, etc. Your pizza is too awesome to just have it for room delivery. Yes, there is a 12 inch available at HK's but I shudder to think what the waiter would of done if I ordered pizza amongst all those business people that were not there!

We may or may not return to the Lodge of the Four Seasons. It was really a nice place but a bit out of the way from the action. It was very quiet, maybe a bit too quiet for us. Would like to see some night activities, maybe something later by the pool so we could swim, have a drink and enjoy some music. Perhaps some music in a bar, a little adult entertainment. There were nightly movies but the timing didn't work for us. It just seemed like they rolled up the doors other than dinner at night. We did enjoy our stay but was looking for just a little bit more from a resort. A little afternoon steel drums and I could close my eyes with a pina colada and think I was in the Caribbean with that beautiful pool and boats humming on the lake. You have a wonderful place, just need a little tweaking to make it destination we want to escape to.

All in all, don't be afraid to stay at the Lodge of the Four Seasons by the negative reviews. I hope my review was fair and balance. I just noticed they seem to be very pro active and I hope my suggestions help them with what they are looking for in suggestions from guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at Lodge of Four Seasons, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts regarding our hotel. We are happy to hear your guestroom bed and pillows were comfortable and our staff was pleasant and responsive to your needs, especially regarding the noisy refrigerator. We are pleased that, for the most part, you enjoyed your meals and will certainly consider your helpful points. We welcome any feedback we receive from our guests, and take all suggestions very seriously. Thank you again for your feedback.
Cuba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

It was a great experience for my kids ages 9 and 3. The adventure Club was their favorite part. I have to say that Rachael at Adventure Club was GREAT! She played with my daughter the whole time and we spent a lot of time there. They do need to fix the leak back by the bathrooms. Water dripping from the ceiling into a bucket is just not safe. Also the vacuum sweeper is from 1940 and would not even suck up the colored sand that the kids spilled during crafts. Overall it was a fun trip!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello, Renee. Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are pleased to hear your children had fun at the Adventure Club and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope you come back to visit us in the future.
Leawood, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We used to spend a week at THE LODGE during the summer when my children were younger. Now my daughter wanted to spend my grandson's fiirst birthday at THE LODGE. I booked 4 rooms by the main pool so the family could be close. IT was perfect .The help was frieldly, good service, nice pools and a great Parrot Bar.They are in the process of updated the rooms and grounds.We will be back for grandson"s second birthday. ( Already Booked). The Upper management is dedicated to bring THE LOGDE back to be like it was back in ITS glory days. WE also had family join us from Jeff. City and Armenia

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello, Steve. It is so great to hear that your grandson's first birthday was a success. We are happy you enjoyed the pools and that our staff took good care of you. It's so nice to hear we have been a part of your family vacations for many years, and we certainly look forward to celebrating your grandson's second birthday with you. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Been to Lodge of Four Seasons? Share your experiences!