“Would I go again ?” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Would I go again ?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Reviews are a great source for information if you are planning to visit somewhere new,but much depends on other people's expectations.
This restaurant is in my mind no better than fair,the menu is unimaginative and if anything a little overpriced with a wine list to match.
Sirloin steak £19.95 I have had far better in Café Rouge for less, a bottle of New Zealand Marlborough £29.50 is again top end.
The service was hit and miss and twice I had dirty cutlery dropped on me leaving a stain on my clothing something I never noticed until I got home.
I would not go back and neither recommend as there is nothing exceptional about this place and far better choices available

Visited August 2014
Paul G, General Manager at The Exchequer, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a response to your experience here at The Exchequer, we consistently share these reviews to our staff and attempt to use all feedback as a way of improving our standards here at The Exchequer. I am very sorry that a member of the team has left a stain on an item of clothing, this is very out of character for them but this of course is no excuse. I have sent you a private message to apologise for this in what I hope to be a more suitable manner. We are constantly evolving our seasonal menu here and will be launching several new dishes later this week. We serve fresh, locally sourced produce and we also have a range of items to suit a variety of expectations and tastes. On our specials board last week we had the locally hand sourced ‘Surrey Farm’ rump steak at £16.95 (all steak’s £13.75 for our steak night every Monday evening) and our bestselling wine is the fabulously drinkable Santa Helena Sauvignon blanc (£15.95 a bottle). I am incredibly conscious that we are a pub first and foremost and as such will always attempt to provide a range of dishes and prices to choose from. I would love to personally welcome you back here again and am confident that the staff will work incredibly hard to ensure you have a far more enjoyable experience.

Many thanks

Paul Griffiths

“Nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'm not a big fan of pubs food, but tried exchequer some time ago and was nicely surprised. Very attentive staff, good wine selection and lovely food! Would recommend to anyone.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire
“Lovely food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Visited with friends end of July. Each one of us agreed that the food was excellent, as it usually is. The restaurant and bar staff are very efficient and friendly. There is no air conditioning (or if there is, it wasn't working), but they were quite happy to move us into the garden area where we were able to enjoy our meal in comfort.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Disappointing lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We came on recommendation looking forward to a lovely lunch. Unfortunately we were disappointed. To begin with the cheese soufflé was really bad, like a dry cheese doughnut, placed on a few pieces of lettuce. Two of us had the char grilled courgette and aubergine on a rosti which was passable, the fish and chips was good. The desserts were average. We thought for a pub/restaurant it was overpriced. Most people were actually eating fish chips. We were hoping for better homemade food with a little flair but it wasn't to be.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire UK
“Great food - great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just met a friend for lunch in this pub, one I've passed many times. The food was great, the service excellent (possibly too attentive) and reasonable prices. I shall be coming back.

• Visited August 2014