“Van broken into - no security! Management shrugs it off!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #42 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
“Van broken into - no security! Management shrugs it off!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

On our last trip to KC our van was broken into when there was nothing left in sight to steal. Out of state tags. No security. Manager pointed to the sign that states "HOTEL NOT RESPONSIBLE" and shrugged it off,
Do yourself a favor ...even if the room is more- stay somewhere else

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011 via mobile

We had originally reserved a room with two queen beds. However, with my husbands status at Marriott we were upgraded to a suite. Sounds nice but the room didn't live up to expectations! It was dustier than some barns I've been in, seriously! It was bad enough that my five year old woke up before the rest of us and felt compelled to clean, and it was a huge improvement!!! It looked like the room hadn't been used in several months and someone just ran though and kind of dusted SOME of the flat surfaces. All of us woke up several times in the night coughing from the dust.

The bistro was SLOW and both the service and food were awful! My two year old spilled some juice and we don't have any silverware or napkins so I went up to ask for some napkins, she was busy and I couldn't get her attention so I went to take some silverware wrapped in napkins that were laying on the bar. She actually told me to put them back!! I explained why I needed them and she said she would bring out some napkins and a towel. Well, she took her time wandering out to help us while I sat at a table with three kids and juice everywhere! I was horrified that she would tell me not to take the napkins accessible and then not even bother to try and hurry out knowing there was a mess and small children! Once the food finally came it was awful and insanely expensive especially given the quality of what was served.

I can at least say that the room was very quiet and there wasn't all the normal banging and such that usually wakes me up in a hotel. However if our stay was typical, it's no wonder the hotel was quiet!

• Stayed July 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My only complaint is that the hotel assigned an already-occupied room. Relocation to another room was quick and easy and met with sincere apology. I rated "Sleep Quality" a 4 out of 5 because the bed was too firm for my liking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

The lobby and bistro area had been remodeled recently. Looked fine. But the kitchen service is slower than molasses. On both mornings I went down there, there were hardly any customers, yet it took forever to get the food out. 20 minutes for oatmeal? Really? No vending machines -- you have to buy drinks and snacks in the lobby. There's no WiFi in the rooms, and my iPod Touch doesn't have an Ethernet port, so no Internet in the room. Speaking of the room, the first one I got had evidence of bed bugs on the mattress. After calling the front desk, I was immediately moved to another room. Not sure if it was a current infestation or if the problem had been treated already, but leaving the mattress like that is just gross. And why not be proactive and regularly inspect the mattresses for bed bugs -- and discard the nasty mattresses?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
White Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Spent a night here in September 2010 with my fiancee the night before attending a football game at Arrowhead. Got a pretty reasonable deal on Travelocity. Pretty standard Courtyard - the chain is in the process of doing renovations at all its properties...this was an older Courtyard and had not been renovated but the folks at the front desk indicated that they were starting renovations in October, so by the holidays they may be done. That would give the hotel a much needed revitalization. This is a suburban style hotel -- not a high-rise but rather three floors and more spread out.

The first room we got smelled really musty and like it had been a smoking room at one point (currently the entire hotel is non-smoking). They relocated us to another room which was fine.

Entire hotel was very cold -- hallways were probably 60 degrees, and the rooms were cold upon entry but warmed up once you turned the heat on. Again, standard Courtyard style - nicely decorated, but currently with older CRT style TV's (should change with the renovation). Beds were comfy as they always are at Courtyard and bathrooms were very clean.

I'd stay here again, and I'd anticipate it will look nice once they complete the renovations it will look real nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Took family here, got two rooms. The price was really good, and included breakfast for all of the family.

The breakfast is made to order, or buffet. Service at breakfast was very nice, and the gal running it was very pleasant.

Rooms were clean, beds comfortable.

The rooms were not super deluxe by any means, but they were nice and clean, and worth every penny!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I stayed here for two nights. The front desk clerk was very friendly. The room was nice... The bed seemed a bit firm, and the whole hotel seemed a bit dated. For the price, I would recommend it! It has an indoor swimming pool and hot tub. The morning breakfast is $10 for a buffet. We didn't eat it though.
The balconies are a joke. The width of it is comparable to a single/twin bed width... Enough room to just stand.
The pool was average, and the hot tub was nice!
For the price we paid, I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!