“Beautiful Facility - Horrid Experience” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 West 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kansas City, Kansas
“Beautiful Facility - Horrid Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The building itself, public areas and guest rooms have beautiful decor. That is where anything positive ends. We checked in early, not expecting to have a room ready. The staff was extremely rude and seemed annoyed that we were there. We decided to try to grab a bite at the on-site restaurant before we went to the meeting. We walked in and couldn't get anyone to acknowledge us and were about to walk out when someone asked if they could help. We said would like to be seated. This seemed to be a challenge even thought the restaurant was almost empty. Once seated we ordered and the food came quickly although we just ordered oatmeal with berries. What a disappointment. I expected berries not some nasty purple stuff poured on the oatmeal.

We came back later that day and check-in was an absolute disaster. The front desk didn't seem to have a clue and the lines were extremely long. After we had finally checked in, we went up to the room only to find the key didn't work. We went down and again faced the lines. When we finally got to a clerk they asked what we expected them to do about the fact the key wasn't working...An hour later when leaving to go out, the lines were still just as long.

The room itself was nice but hadn't been dusted in months. We were at the end of the hall and had to pass a huge smelly trash can used by house cleaning daily.

I know that the hotel can't control this but the other guests were there to party and had no respect of others in the building. This just added to the overall bad experience.

In town for a conference, this is were we were placed as it was being used as overflow from the Marriott and Muelbach Hotels. If this were to happen again, I would find any other place to stay. We met friends at both the Marriott and Muelbach and they were pleased with their rooms. Eating in the bar at the Marriott was a much more positive experience than the Hotel Phillips.

Of note, there is not on-site parking. You are forced to valet park.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for sharing your concerns and reviewing our property. I sincerely apologize that you encountered these issues during your arrival and stay with us. We were very busy throughout the duration of your stay, but this should never affect or lessen the level of service we provide to you. Your concerns have been reviewed with the appropriate departments, and the issues are being addressed. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Service was slow food was cold manager was unprofessional. I will never stay or eat there again. Manager was very unprofessional his name was Patrick Brennan he was rude. Waitress ignored us and beware not a good experience her name was nicci.

Stayed April 2015
Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I truly apologize that your experience was anything less than enjoyable. Your concerns have been addressed with staff, and management is grateful for your feedback. It is important to us that any concern is addressed and that these service issues do not arise for any guest during their stay. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your experience further.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Charming historic Art Deco hotel. Very friendly front desk staff.

I was quite disappointed by the cleanliness of the room. Mounds of dust on the blinds, lamp shades, lamp bases, behind the night stands. The bathroom floor had not been cleaned. Urine around the base of the toilet. Scum around the bathroom sink drain. Either there is no one in charge of housekeeping, or there is a very poor housekeeping manager, because the housekeeping staff is not doing their job. There is a minimum cleanliness standard that any hotel room should meet, and this one missed the mark. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you encountered these issues during your stay. The housekeeping department has been notified, and these issues are being addressed. We hold our property and service to a very high standard, and take your concerns very seriously. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice location in downtown and the hotel is an attractive historic property.

Housekeeping: I stayed at a corner room (905) and the housekeeping staff kept a trash can located about 10 feet from my front door during the entire 3-day stay. I asked the hotel (front desk) staff to remove the trash can as it smelled, they agreed, but they did not take care of it. My room was also located by the housekeeping elevator and supply room; as a result, about 8:00 am every morning they started work, loudly at that. My room got cleaned about 1PM every day which is a bit late in my mind.

Valet: The Valet staff needs about 20 minutes to get a car - I can't tell you why, but it's a challenge to get your car.

Front Desk: The front desk was very nice and attentive.

It's a nice property, but the housekeeping and valet personnel need some training and adult supervision. Next time I go to Kansas City, I'll stay somewhere else.

Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for your feedback concerning your stay with us. I sincerely apologize that your experience was anything less than great. The feedback you provided us is appreciated, and the aforementioned departments have been notified of your concerns, and the issues are being addressed. We hope to have you back again, and please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your stay further.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Loved the decor, with it's renovated yet 1920's charm. Building is restored but still retains it's art deco fixtures and style. Very quaint down to the old fashioned "postal drop" area next to the elevators. Service was pleasant and speedy. The valet staff and shuttle drivers went above and beyond. Room was very large, quiet and clean - although the wood blinds and windows could use a deep cleaning. The workout area was well maintained. Loved that there were a number of public areas as well as the restaurant on site were I could work, socialize and just relax. The afternoon happy hour was also a nice surprise. Will definitely book here again.

Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for reviewing our property! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our unique historical details, and that you were able to take advantage of some of the convenient amenities that we offer! Your concerns about the room have been addressed, and we appreciate your feedback. We would love to have you back again, and please contact me directly if there is anything else I can do for you!
Battle Mountain, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel was great. We loved all the character. The downtown location was nice. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The service at the front desk was exceptional and they were very helpful in answering a myriad of questions. We needed to catch an early morning train and their free shuttle took us right there.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are proud of our unique vintage, yet modern property and I am happy to hear you enjoyed it as well. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further, and we hope to see you again!
N. Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Delightful stay - if i come back to KC this is where i will stay. Also, I forgot my computer cord in the room and the staff mailed it to me - very nice! Nice complimentary happy hour in the lobby and good coffee in the morning. Restaurant attached to the hotel is very good as well.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Jennifer G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We enjoy offering our hosted reception to our guests, to provide a great way to socialize, relax, and learn more about our hotel! I am happy that we could help you recover your personal belongings as well. Please come see us again!

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!