“Beautiful and Elegant” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 West 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #28 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
“Beautiful and Elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This place makes you feel like you're living in the elegance of the past...in a good way. It's very classy and makes you feel very sophisticated. The staff was friendly and helped clarify questions about the bill. Definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Honest Housekeeping Staff!! Sooo nice! To my dismay at the airport I realized I left my kindle behind. I called and was pleasantly surprised that it had been recovered. Chris was able to send it back to me and returned my calls. I am so thankful. The hotel was lovely

Room Tip: The "09" rooms are bigger
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We are so happy that we were able to get your property back to you. Thank you for the nice compliment.
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I decided to get away for two nights and drive down to Kansas City. We used a hotel bidding site in hopes to get a four star hotel in downtown Kansas City. We were excited when we walked in. Historical, classy, and we thought we were in for a treat.

First off the valet is awfully overpriced at $22 a day. I say that because other hotels nearby provide free valet.

We get our key cards and take the elevator to the room. It was a fairly small queen room (but they claimed it was an upgrade). The size was excusable considering the age of the hotel. The mattress was awful. I've slept on Roadway Inn mattresses more comfortable than this. The real surprise was in the morning when I took a shower. First there was black mold everywhere on the shower curtain. Gross. Second, when I showered, every two minutes the water literally turned off.

I went down to the front desk. I work a job in high end retail customer service, so I tried to be as pleasant as possible. The woman at the desk was incredibly nice, moved our room, and comped our breakfast. We accepted that, but even when we went to the restaurant, which wasn't even full, it took 20 minutes to even have someone come over. We didn't even bother for a second morning of it.

The new room was the same style, but right next to the elevators. This was awful when trying to sleep at night. All you could hear were drunk idiots getting on and off and the elevator dinging every time the doors opened. The mattress was just as bad as the other room. So much so, that I slept on the sofa and my wife slept on the bed.

After my wife and I almost up and left at 1:00 AM. When I checked out I let a manager know the issues we had. She tried to apologize and offered to comp one night of valet for the issues. I accepted it and let her know that I'd be posting this review.

Stayed January 2015
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
I am very sorry that you had so many issues during your stay. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further as we do not like any guest to leave feeling the way that you do .
Harrison, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for 3 nights for a volleyball tournament. Hotel was very close to the Power and Light District and the Convention Center. We stayed on the 15th floor and our room was nice except the windows and blinds were very dusty. Our air conditioner did not work the first night and we woke up extremely hot throughout the night. We did call the front desk the next morning and they sent Kevin to our room to fix it. Kevin was super nice and had the AC working within minutes. We were very impressed by how nice the staff was throughout our entire stay. They even sent us up a mini fridge and a microwave. The only complaint I have was that the walls seemed very thin and we could hear everything from the rooms next to us. Unfortunately 2 nights in a row we were awakened by our neighbors partying. Our entire volleyball team stayed in the hotel and they also had the same complaint about the noise.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the view is.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We are very happy that we were able to give you the customer service that we pride ourselves in and are glad that we were able to remedy your issue.
Jefferson City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First time at this hotel. Easy check-in and valet car parking (although parking is $22 per night). Lobby is very nice...old style and rather elegant. Room was comfortable in appearance...just not in temperature! Thermostat not working and couldn't turn it down...even putting air conditioning on resulted in an 80 degree room...finally turned unit off.
Also water for shower not hot at 10:00AM....so take early showers.Other issues not major, but slightly inconvenient. No full length mirror in room, so I didn't notice I had forgotten to put on my pants till I got to the bar.....(OK, that isn't true, but the rest of the review is!) Also no clock or clock radio in the room....was told there was supposed to be one. Main problems....room too hot and water in shower not. I imagine these will be corrected as I reported them.

Room Tip: The "04 rooms"...we were in 1904...are a little bigger than others. and quiet as no one on...
Green Features: No idea about this. I clicked on the link to read about their practices but got "not available at this location" when I did.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We are sorry that you had encountered issues during your stay and that we fell short in our promise of a great experience. please feel free to reach out to me to discuss further.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The lobby and the location were both great! The gentleman at the front desk spoke very low and mumbled, so very hard to understand. He could not find our reservation and asked me to email my confirmation to him multiple times, even after I asked if he had received it. The room appeared clean. The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have slept on, at one point I woke up and contemplated moving to the sofa. Thank goodness we were only there for one night. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss further.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A well situated hotel. It was a good experience from arriving, valet parking for the car, the receptionist was polite helpful and patient. The bed was very comfortable and a good size, the room was large with a small seating area including a desk. The bathroom was not large but had all it needed and the shower was nice and powerful.
There was free juice and coffee available in the lobby but the gym was small and not really as advertised.
It is the location that sets the Hotel Phillips apart, a short walk and you are in the heart of the Power and Light District a vibrant area of bars, restaurants etc..
I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!