“Beautiful Lobby...so so rooms” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Phillips to your Saves list
Hotel Phillips
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 West 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #23 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
“Beautiful Lobby...so so rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

For starters, this is a boutique hotel and a historic landmark. So, in fairness, they can't modify some of the rooms. However, my wife had one of the "remodeled" ones. From entering, the room looks good. As you start to look around, however....sitting at the desk, taking a shower, looking behind the nightstand for a plug, opening the blinds, etc., you start to notice that the last time they dusted this room was probably 1986! Sooooo much dust. The first night I have them tee benefit of the doubt, thinking the room was empty for awhile before us and that they would clean it after our first night. Not the case.

The hotel has done a good job taking an old hotel, a hotel built before all of our technology, and placing charging stations and making it as convenient as possible for us to charge our stuff. Props!

But, the room is just average that happens to be inside a boutique hotel with a beautiful "boutique" lobby. Personally, I like the Hilton President or Raphael Hotel better. Would I come back? Maybe but there are so many around town to try first.

Stayed July 2014

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I had a wonderful stay at the hotel in July. I loved the retro look, found the staff incredibly friendly, and the room very spacious. The bed and bedding were top notch, and the bathroom was gorgeous (great water pressure). The restaurant and gym were also better-than-average. All in all, as nice or nicer than any of the chains out there (with far more charm)!

Room Tip: I've heard that rooms are different sizes, and I lucked out. I guess it's worth asking abou...
Green Features: They seemed to be environmentally friendly, but, frankly, i did not see any signage on re-using towels, and so on.
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I had been looking for a hotel for my wedding party and myself to stay in the night before my wedding and when I looked at this hotel I fell in love. I booked 5 rooms, I wasn't sure whether I wanted them for just one or two nights, but about a week before my reservations I decided to add an extra night for 3 of the rooms, the one for me, the one for my flower girl and her family, and then the one for my out of town bridesmaid. The hotel was very understanding and accommodating. When we checked in they were super friendly and helpful. I had a couple of special requests that they were more than willing to work with me. The rooms were beautiful, clean, and the beds were super comfortable. The only complaint I had about the room was that the A/C seemed to not work well. The hotel staff also worked with us when we decided to add an extra night to another room the day it was supposed to have been checked out of and they even allowed us to keep that same room. I was super impressed by all of the hotel staff at how accommodating they were. I will be going back and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kansas City or just doing a staycation.

Room Tip: It pays to pay a little more for a corner suite. It's quieter and has a great view of the city l...
Green Features: Unless you request it, they will leave the same sheets and bedding, reducing the amount of water they will go through doing laundry.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Northwest Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The first night of our stay we stayed at Hotel Phillips for a work trip. My husband and I enjoyed the hotel and time in KC so much we decided to extend. I did a Priceline name your deal, which you cannot choose a hotel, just the price, rating and location. We were so happy when our low bid happened to book us at the Hotel Phillips, so we simply extended our stay with the front desk.

The historic lobby and public areas are so fun and beautiful. Everything was very clean, including the room. Our bed was very comfortable, the water in the shower was strong pressure and got warm quickly. Our room was a corner room and spacious, although being a restored older hotel, there were likely other rooms smaller. As I mentioned the location was perfect. The entertainment district was just a short walk. The drive to the Country Club shopping district and Crowne Plaza was only a few minute drive. We parked in public parking because it was much less expensive than valet. However we discovered after Friday, the metered parking right around the corner is free on weekends. Either option was very easy to get in and out of. We discovered KC had great Brewery tap rooms and awesome local venues to see top 40 bands. We had no problem catching a taxi to and from these venues. If you are want to stay somewhere with character that isn't your traditional cookie cutter hotel chain I would highly recommend Hotel Phillips.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Hotel Phillips is conveniently located in down town Kansas City MO. This hotel is a fairly recently renovated version of a grand older hotel of the area and it has some neat decor and meeting rooms. Very handy location for the central convention center and for short excursions into the historic and other visitor attractions in the area. A variety of eating establishments are in the area. Can do a lot of touring just on foot. Our accommodations were part of a convention and were cost effective. Room was clean and spacious, AC was fully functional, the 3 elevator system was quick responding to floor 16 of 18, and the valet parking and desk staff were very friendly and service oriented. Would stay there again as we had essentially no room-to-room noise.

Room Tip: Can ask for special accommodations and special needs. Can request room with a view.
Green Features: Car valet was very efficient. Very personal and responsive.
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First, let me start by saying this is a very quaint property. When I walked into the lobby, I thought it was an old theatre the way it was structured. It is very cute and has a nice old world vibe. However, walking into the lobby there is immediately a smell of mold -- like musty carpet. My colleague and I both noticed it and shrugged and said, "it's only one night". But when I got to my room it was great -- no bad smell, everything was clean and the room had been upgraded still with that old world feel. I ordered room service and it was prompt and good. The elevators are slow….but the staff is wonderful. With a little TLC this could be an amazing property. P.S. Remove the baggage carts from the front entrance -- is is hard for people to get in the from door.

Room Tip: 1702 was nice
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My family stayed one night while in KC on a family vacation. Our room was clean and valet service was nice. However, the air vent in our room squeaked all night long so we did not sleep very well at all.

Stayed July 2014

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!