“Historic downtown hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Washington DC
“Historic downtown hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights for business meetings. The historic hotel has been beautifully restored. The front desk staff was quite friendly and helpful. The room was a fairly generous size, though the configuration was different than most hotels I have stayed in. The bathroom was on the inside of the room against the corridor wall. It helped keep hall noise to a minimum in the room but made fr a long and narrow bathroom. The shower had great water pressure and the after stayed hot which was great. The room was spacious and in good condition. My one critique is that electrical outlets were not convenient. There was nowhere near the desk to pug in a phone charger or laptop.

The location is very good, walkable to shopping, nightlife, sports venues, etc.

Stayed May 2013

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My brother and I stayed on night at the Hotel Phillips. He had had a difficult week and I wanted to treat him to a fun experience. He needs his computer for his work and had planned on getting some things done while we were away from interruptions at home. However, he could not stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time. We understood how the connection set up was supposed to work so that wasn't the problem. One of the "engineers" came up and gave us an 800 number to call. We did. Twice. That didn't help. The problem persisted and my brother finally gave up. Dinner was lovely and the front desk personnel were very friendly. Because of the computer problems, the hotel comped breakfast for us and paid for our parking. That was very nice of them and we appreciated it very much. However, it seems to me that in 2013 there should be reliable computer connections in every nicer hotel. Two more things. The bedside lamps didn't work. I finally realized that the maid had unplugged the lamps to vacuum but didn't plug them back in. Also, the phones are outdated. I pressed "guest services" and got only a dial tone. When I asked about this I was told that the buttons on the phones aren't operational anymore and that the way to contact the front desk was "0" only. There should have been instructions to that effect in the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate any and all feedback. The lamp on the desk has two outlets, and on the side of the desk itself. We are sorry for the inconvenience as you were unable to locate them.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

This historic hotel celebrates their heritage, which dates back to 1929, with professional, old time service. Checking in at 1 am, the front desk still greeted me promptly, politely, and still chatted about the hotel's little details. The lobby is cathedral like, with a gold statue of Athena keeping watch between the double staircases leading to the mezzanine. Some of the tables have oversized pictures of stacks of books, adding a sly modern smirk. Sip a drink while people watching, as you listen to Girl from Ipanema or Ella Fitzgerald. Head up to your floor and you are greeted with an elegant mural of a woman's face, one floor has her sleeping, another looking blissful. My room was large, quiet, with a comfortable bed. One of my best hotel experiences this year.

• Stayed April 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice classic hotel. Great decor in lobby. I had trouble with the air/heat, as in ....none.....so they switched my room promptly and gave me a voucher for breakfast. Very smooth. Courteous staff. Fast elevators for its age.
Breakfast was good. Dinner not so good.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We are very pleased to see our front line associates made a satisfactory recover effort for your inconvenience. You may help me out further with any specifics to your dinner experience at 816-346-4422. Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your business.
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My spouse and I had a wonderful stay at Hotel Phillips! The lobby of the hotel is simply breathtaking. We were in a king suite and had plenty of room to move around. The room was very clean an nicely decorated. I loved that we were within walking distance of Power & Light.

We got in on a Travel Zoo package that included a voucher for dinner & drinks at the hotel's restaurant. It was a steal! I appreciated that the server did not treat us any differently than any other customer; I suspect that some people do not tip well or at all with these "dinner included" packages. He was very polite and attentive!

I would not hesitate to stay at Hotel Phillips again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much! Please refer your friends!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

With my selfishness comes greed and I was employed here and I greedily took on another full time job at night thinking I could manage. Well it started getting the best of me and I had to choose, and I chose the night job cause it pays more. And since I dont believe in quitting jobs, I usually end working myself too much. This time I figure I'd make myself get fired. So I did an awful, horrible thing to a sweet young lady and I would like to apologize to you and your family on the world wide web. I know you will see this. And to my former employer my selfishness is something that I have yet to conquer and I deeply apologize for the problems I've caused you. Sincerely, a horrible person.

• Stayed April 2013
Ambler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

If you want a "Great Gatsby" stay in Kansas City, Hotel Phillips is the place to stay. We were there for the 2nd round NCAA Tournament and we enjoyed the excitement of the tournament and the atmosphere of the Power and Light District and the peace and quiet of the Phillips. We walked to everything and that was great not needing to move our car. We valet parked at the hotel and the service was phenom! Great breakfast Buffet at a fair price. You won't believe the lobby and lounge area, a work of art! I will only stay at Hotel Phillips when I am in KC

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are so very pleased you enjoyed your time in Kansas City and with us at Hotel Phillips! Thank you for your comments.

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!