“Nice historic hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Palatine, Illinois
“Nice historic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here on a "girls' weekend" trip to Kansas City, and I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Older hotels always make me a little leery, but this one has been re-done really well. The staff was very friendly in helping give us directions and dining suggestions, and as the hotel is right in the Power & Light District it is within walking distance to a lot of fun places.

If I had to be picky, my one complaint was that our room was not made up (we had a 2 night stay). The day after our first night in the hotel we left for the day around 11:00 a.m. and made sure to take the "Do Not Disturb" sign off our door, but when we returned at 5:00 p.m. the room wasn't made up. Someone knocked on our door at 6:00 p.m.(!) saying they were there to clean the room, but by that point we were getting ready for dinner so we told them it was too late. Not a big deal, because the room was very clean with plenty of towels, but it is always nice to have things fresh.

Overall it was a really nice place and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We certainly thank you for your continued business, and apologize for the housekeeping miscommunication on your second day. Shouldn't happen, and we move forward with training and communication. Thank you for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
springfield,mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room we stayed in was a bit small, but beautifully decorated. I know the hotel has other options available, but we found a great deal online so we can't complain about the room size. The staff
was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel location is in walking distance of several great restaurants and shops. We'd stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and for the nice comments! We look forward to you staying with us again sometime soon.
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I first stayed at Hotel Phillips while interviewing for jobs while in college. I even lived around the corner from the hotel for a couple of years, and this is still my favorite hotel in downtown KC. The hotel is in a great location and is easily within walking distance to the Power & Light District. The rooms are very nicely furnished with one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on. The hotel has a really great atmosphere, and the attached restaurant (12 Baltimore) has a good variety of items to choose from. I personally feel the valet service is kind of expensive and inconvenient if you plan on spending much time in other areas of the city, so I always try to find street parking within a couple of blocks of the hotel. The parking situation is the only reason I would rate Hotel Phillips as "Very Good" instead of "Excellent".

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Received a great rate online through a third party booking site but still would have been satisfied paying more. The hotel is beautiful and I was very surprised at the value. The front desk agents were friendly and valet was amazing. Great location too! The only issue that i can think of was the ac unit was kind of tricky at times and wouldn't cooperate but no big deal. Will definitely try and stay here again next time in KC!!

• Stayed July 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel has my highest rating. Staff members were so accommodating and friendly. The hotel itself was beautiful and clean. Loved my four night stay there. The location was perfectly suited to my needs - walking distances to fine restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bentonville, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Phillips in March for spring break. The staff was amazing and knew our names by the second day. The valet service was wonderful. They helped bring in all our bags and escorted us to our room. We were going to pay extra to have a refrigerator because we had our baby with us and we needed somewhere to keep his milk. They waved the fee, stating that we had a baby and would be in need of a fridge. It was a very art deco hotel with beautiful murals. Our room smelled amazing and was very clean. There were a few places where the wall paper had bubbles in it, but nothing too unsightly. The beds were very comfortable and the location was wonderful. The only down side that I found was that two double beds were really two full beds, not queens. They were a little small for us since we have a King size at home. Should we decide to go back to KC, we will most likely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We do hope to see you again soon!
tulsa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here in March to do some research. I was very excited after reading all the reviews online. We just happened to get it through priceline for $79/night. After getting there, I was very glad we didn't pay full price. Room was a good size but wallpaper lifting off, plaster bubbling, wooden trim peeling, bed definately on its last legs and the temperature control in the room was not working at all! (and it was cold out). Cold in, too. Room never warmed up. Also, no bedside table on one side of the bed. The side of the bed with the table was quickly wearing out. Also, I don't know what was going on in the lobby but it had a very, very strange smell. I don't know if it was some kind of fragrance or mold, but I had to hold my breath and run through the lobby (I have bad allergies) so I didn't get a splitting headache. The one GREAT thing they did was to make a feather-free room for me (again, those dang allergies). That was truly wonderful. But I won't be in a hurry to stay here again. I would call it "passable" only.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, some of our rooms are small with only one bedside table. Our heating and cooling in guestrooms works quite well, however, there are occasions where maintenance attention is required. If that was not done satisfactorily during your stay to resolve we apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and very pleased you obtained such a great rate for your stay with us.