“Had another wonderful stay at the best 4 star downtown KC hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Phillips
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 West 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #22 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Had another wonderful stay at the best 4 star downtown KC hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Attentive staff, close to everything. foo delicious 5 star Entertainment all weekend close t all entertainment the in downtown Kansas City. Plush rooms. Art Deco masterpiece! Statue in lobby "Erte/stylized image of greek goddess's right out of movie.

• Stayed February 2013

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

As much as i hate to admit it i am one of those people who do not normally contribute to trip advisor. I read the reviews. Tonight I am compelled to write a review for the first time. Hotel phillips has the worst customer service of any hotel that I have ever visited. It started with the valet that left me in the middle of the street for 30 minutes and continued through to the time I wantrd to use my room service dinning credit (which i paid for) and was told it would be an over an hour to get even cold menu food. When I asked politly why it would take so long the woman responded with a rude tone "if thats a problem you should go somewhere else. This place is a joke. Its as if an amateur got a hold of a nice property and doesn't care how it is run.

• Stayed February 2013
John G, Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We appriciate your feedback and am sorry that you had a bad experience. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further. 816.346.4429
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for three days and two nights on business. The lobby and mezzanine areas of the Hotel Phillips are charming examples of art deco architecture and design--a welcome change from chain hotels. The staff are helpful and eager to ensure a comfortable stay.
The room I had was spacious and pleasant, but the decor of the room doesn't match the expectations set by the public areas of the hotel. That's not necessarily a bad thing--just don't expect your room to look much different from any other room you've stayed in. The room is clean, comfortable, spacious, and pleasant, but advertising it as a "luxury hotel" might be stretching the truth a bit.
I was attending a conference held at the hotel, so I was working for the full three days. While the hotel offers free WiFi, which is greatly appreciated, the Internet service was intermittent at best. The hotel uses "Ethostream" for its Internet service and in every hotel I've stayed in that uses Ethostream, it's been problematic. Three times, I had to call Ethostream tech support to restore my Internet connection. Each time they said it needed to be "unclogged." If a hotel is going to court businesses for conferences, or business travelers in general, it must have a reliable Internet system.
The hotel is conveniently located to shopping and good restaurants in the Lights & Power District.
I would certainly stay here again -- hoping they've upgrade the WiFi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
near Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This historic building is being lovingly cared for, and it was a pleasure just to walk around and enjoy the building. Old fashioned courtesy is as charming as the building. There was always someone waiting to open the car door, hold the hotel door, answer a question, and always with a smile. I booked this reservation not knowing that I had found the most hip spot in the city. The attached bar and restaurant make it unnecessary to go anywhere else, but the desk clerk was happy to suggest nearby restaurants and provide a map! I will be a repeat customer!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Picked this place off a web site for a romantic setting downtown, plus they had a special room rate. I was all for that, on our trip up for KC Restauant week. We pulled up for check in before dinner. And was greeted by a valet that explained on street parking for my car or for a daily fee they'd park it in their garage. When we stepped inside, I liked the decor and grand feel of the place. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and the valet service had my car parked right up front, so there was no waiting for my car when we left for dinner. Upon returning after our dinner the staff greeted us by name and asked how our dinner was, if we enjoyed it. Now I must say the elevator was one of the smallest ones I've ever been in. And for some reason our floor smelled like food, like maybe their restaurant? The window blinds were open when we first stepped in our room and found that we had a great view! The room was large enough with a sofa, desk, chairs, dresser, tv and a comfortable king size bed. Pillows were down and felt mostly flat. The bed's comforter was tucked in, in a way that looked cool, but felt like it was short sheeted until you pulled it loose. The fitted sheet wasn't that fitted, it pulled loose from the corner, up by my head. We turned the heat up since it was cold out and I am happy to say we had no problems with the heat. The bathroom had an area behind the door that was just wasted space, a hidey hole. Then when I showered in the morning I found that the drain had a issue and I was ankle deep in water in no time. We let the staff know of the issue so they could take care of it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are frequent visitors of KC. We decided to check out Hotel Phillips because Groupon had a great deal for it. Overall it was a nice hotel. The staff were friendly. The room was decent. A few things I did not like, the food wasn't overly good. We had room service twice and while it arrived quickly both times, it was never great food. The "boneless wings" were actually chicken fingers with dipping sauce. Not wings at all.
Twice we called ahead to get our car from the valet, and twice the keys were still hanging in the closet by the time we made it downstairs, that was a little disapointing. The valet always seemed very busy, but I guess when thats the only parking option for the hotel, that should be expected.
The hotel itself was beautiful, very old fashioned. But I did get a creepy vibe from it, especially the elevator. My taste is a little more modern.
Overall, it was a nice property and not much to complain about, but not really our personal taste so we probably will not stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I only stayed one night. Bed was nice and comfortable, view of 12th street (?) out of the window was cool. Hotel decor and elevator had a really nice vintage feel, but all of the public spaces and the room seemed to be well kept. Front desk staff was welcoming. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We LIKE it!

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!