“Beautiful, historic building, pleasant room, frustrating Internet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Phillips

Save Saved
You added Hotel Phillips to your Saves list
Hotel Phillips
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 West 12th Street, Kansas City, MO 64105   |
Ranked #21 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Maine
“Beautiful, historic building, pleasant room, frustrating Internet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for three days and two nights on business. The lobby and mezzanine areas of the Hotel Phillips are charming examples of art deco architecture and design--a welcome change from chain hotels. The staff are helpful and eager to ensure a comfortable stay.
The room I had was spacious and pleasant, but the decor of the room doesn't match the expectations set by the public areas of the hotel. That's not necessarily a bad thing--just don't expect your room to look much different from any other room you've stayed in. The room is clean, comfortable, spacious, and pleasant, but advertising it as a "luxury hotel" might be stretching the truth a bit.
I was attending a conference held at the hotel, so I was working for the full three days. While the hotel offers free WiFi, which is greatly appreciated, the Internet service was intermittent at best. The hotel uses "Ethostream" for its Internet service and in every hotel I've stayed in that uses Ethostream, it's been problematic. Three times, I had to call Ethostream tech support to restore my Internet connection. Each time they said it needed to be "unclogged." If a hotel is going to court businesses for conferences, or business travelers in general, it must have a reliable Internet system.
The hotel is conveniently located to shopping and good restaurants in the Lights & Power District.
I would certainly stay here again -- hoping they've upgrade the WiFi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
near Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This historic building is being lovingly cared for, and it was a pleasure just to walk around and enjoy the building. Old fashioned courtesy is as charming as the building. There was always someone waiting to open the car door, hold the hotel door, answer a question, and always with a smile. I booked this reservation not knowing that I had found the most hip spot in the city. The attached bar and restaurant make it unnecessary to go anywhere else, but the desk clerk was happy to suggest nearby restaurants and provide a map! I will be a repeat customer!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Picked this place off a web site for a romantic setting downtown, plus they had a special room rate. I was all for that, on our trip up for KC Restauant week. We pulled up for check in before dinner. And was greeted by a valet that explained on street parking for my car or for a daily fee they'd park it in their garage. When we stepped inside, I liked the decor and grand feel of the place. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and the valet service had my car parked right up front, so there was no waiting for my car when we left for dinner. Upon returning after our dinner the staff greeted us by name and asked how our dinner was, if we enjoyed it. Now I must say the elevator was one of the smallest ones I've ever been in. And for some reason our floor smelled like food, like maybe their restaurant? The window blinds were open when we first stepped in our room and found that we had a great view! The room was large enough with a sofa, desk, chairs, dresser, tv and a comfortable king size bed. Pillows were down and felt mostly flat. The bed's comforter was tucked in, in a way that looked cool, but felt like it was short sheeted until you pulled it loose. The fitted sheet wasn't that fitted, it pulled loose from the corner, up by my head. We turned the heat up since it was cold out and I am happy to say we had no problems with the heat. The bathroom had an area behind the door that was just wasted space, a hidey hole. Then when I showered in the morning I found that the drain had a issue and I was ankle deep in water in no time. We let the staff know of the issue so they could take care of it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are frequent visitors of KC. We decided to check out Hotel Phillips because Groupon had a great deal for it. Overall it was a nice hotel. The staff were friendly. The room was decent. A few things I did not like, the food wasn't overly good. We had room service twice and while it arrived quickly both times, it was never great food. The "boneless wings" were actually chicken fingers with dipping sauce. Not wings at all.
Twice we called ahead to get our car from the valet, and twice the keys were still hanging in the closet by the time we made it downstairs, that was a little disapointing. The valet always seemed very busy, but I guess when thats the only parking option for the hotel, that should be expected.
The hotel itself was beautiful, very old fashioned. But I did get a creepy vibe from it, especially the elevator. My taste is a little more modern.
Overall, it was a nice property and not much to complain about, but not really our personal taste so we probably will not stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I only stayed one night. Bed was nice and comfortable, view of 12th street (?) out of the window was cool. Hotel decor and elevator had a really nice vintage feel, but all of the public spaces and the room seemed to be well kept. Front desk staff was welcoming. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We LIKE it!
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I just returned from a two-day stay in Kansas City, and stayed at the Hotel Phillips. It was not my choice, but it was paid for and arranged by someone else. It was one of the worst experiences in my traveling, and I travel extensively for business. I checked in late, and was coldly greeted by the front desk clerk, who made it seem like he was doing me a favor by staying late past midnight (took a late flight in). I was assigned an accessible room, which I did not want and once I saw the shower area, with no tub or walls, I asked for a different room. Nothing against accessible rooms, but when there are plenty of others available, and I don't need one, why put me in one? My next room was at the end of a hall and was 62 degrees inside, since the heat was not on. I cranked up the heat and climbed into bed with my ski coat and sweatpants on. About 3:30am I woke up shivering, and to my surprise the heater was not cranking out any heat and it was a whopping 64 degrees inside. I was still in my coat and sweats and went down to the aloof desk clerk asking for blankets and a new room. He gave me another room, but no blankets. This room was on a different floor, but still at the end of the hall, nothing "special" for my trouble. It was also with no heat and was a balmy 62 degrees, but at least this heater started to pump out warm air when I cranked it to 90. I was exhausted and had to be up in 2 hours, so climbed back in in coat and sweats. I woke up to the room being 68 degrees but still not too warm, and with a cold wind blowing and ice cold tile floors, it was bad. I called the front desk and asked that they fix my heater or assign me another room, and they said they would have maintenance check while I was out for the day. I came back at the end of the day and stopped by the front desk to ask for some blankets to be delivered, since I did not expect much. They never came. my room was in the at 70 and the heater was working okay, but not doing much to heat the ends of the room, and certainly not the bathroom. I called down to ask for some blankets again, and they had not arrived by 11 so I just went to bed, with the heater cranked at 90 again. I finally got the room to about 74 by the time I woke up the next morning. No apologies, no special concern, nothing from the hotel management. I will never recommend this hotel, I will pay for a room on my own if someone offers to put me up there. Stay anywhere but here, please. Maybe it is better when it is not 10 degrees outside, but I won't ever want to find out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are very disappointed that your stay was so unpleasant. You've every right to share your experience. Our 82 year old building does indeed provide heat, however, as with an older structure, maintaining is a daily effort, that we clearly failed to do before your arrival. If you would like to further share any other interactions with our front line staff that did not respond, I would be most interested. Sincerely, Dan Bergmann. 816-346-4422
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

General atmosphere:

Hotel Phillips is one of the better boutique hotels that I've stayed at. All the staff I encountered over a three-night visit was very friendly, accommodating, personable, and informative! In particular the valets each morning were a pleasure to talk with and get ideas/tips from on where to go and when.

Also, the room service was superb! Fast, delicious, and reasonably priced!

The Hotel itself:

The decor is very beautiful and well maintained. It's an older building, so you can see the age in places, but not in a negative way; it added character and charm. Like a good patina on antiques, the parts of Hotel Phillips that looked aged added a feeling of authenticity and
wisdom. I loved it! Oh, and the location is fantastic - right in the heart of downtown with great views!

Recommendations: Get a corner suite! The far-right corner of the entrance (I apologize for not remembering which direction that is) has amazing views! However, go AS HIGH as possible for better views. NOTE: This corner is near the elevator and you can hear noisy/drunk guests. It did not bother me and my fiance, but if noise bothers you -- take a different corner suite and ask to be far away from the elevator.

Overall, I thought it was reasonably priced for the experience as a whole (minus the noise at times, which was not every night... I think it happened twice. Other than that, it was an awesome experience and I would recommend to friends/family!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again! We appreciate any and all comments from our guests.

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!