“Hotel Phillips - LIKE!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
San Diego, California
“Hotel Phillips - LIKE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I only stayed one night. Bed was nice and comfortable, view of 12th street (?) out of the window was cool. Hotel decor and elevator had a really nice vintage feel, but all of the public spaces and the room seemed to be well kept. Front desk staff was welcoming. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We LIKE it!

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I just returned from a two-day stay in Kansas City, and stayed at the Hotel Phillips. It was not my choice, but it was paid for and arranged by someone else. It was one of the worst experiences in my traveling, and I travel extensively for business. I checked in late, and was coldly greeted by the front desk clerk, who made it seem like he was doing me a favor by staying late past midnight (took a late flight in). I was assigned an accessible room, which I did not want and once I saw the shower area, with no tub or walls, I asked for a different room. Nothing against accessible rooms, but when there are plenty of others available, and I don't need one, why put me in one? My next room was at the end of a hall and was 62 degrees inside, since the heat was not on. I cranked up the heat and climbed into bed with my ski coat and sweatpants on. About 3:30am I woke up shivering, and to my surprise the heater was not cranking out any heat and it was a whopping 64 degrees inside. I was still in my coat and sweats and went down to the aloof desk clerk asking for blankets and a new room. He gave me another room, but no blankets. This room was on a different floor, but still at the end of the hall, nothing "special" for my trouble. It was also with no heat and was a balmy 62 degrees, but at least this heater started to pump out warm air when I cranked it to 90. I was exhausted and had to be up in 2 hours, so climbed back in in coat and sweats. I woke up to the room being 68 degrees but still not too warm, and with a cold wind blowing and ice cold tile floors, it was bad. I called the front desk and asked that they fix my heater or assign me another room, and they said they would have maintenance check while I was out for the day. I came back at the end of the day and stopped by the front desk to ask for some blankets to be delivered, since I did not expect much. They never came. my room was in the at 70 and the heater was working okay, but not doing much to heat the ends of the room, and certainly not the bathroom. I called down to ask for some blankets again, and they had not arrived by 11 so I just went to bed, with the heater cranked at 90 again. I finally got the room to about 74 by the time I woke up the next morning. No apologies, no special concern, nothing from the hotel management. I will never recommend this hotel, I will pay for a room on my own if someone offers to put me up there. Stay anywhere but here, please. Maybe it is better when it is not 10 degrees outside, but I won't ever want to find out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are very disappointed that your stay was so unpleasant. You've every right to share your experience. Our 82 year old building does indeed provide heat, however, as with an older structure, maintaining is a daily effort, that we clearly failed to do before your arrival. If you would like to further share any other interactions with our front line staff that did not respond, I would be most interested. Sincerely, Dan Bergmann. 816-346-4422
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

General atmosphere:

Hotel Phillips is one of the better boutique hotels that I've stayed at. All the staff I encountered over a three-night visit was very friendly, accommodating, personable, and informative! In particular the valets each morning were a pleasure to talk with and get ideas/tips from on where to go and when.

Also, the room service was superb! Fast, delicious, and reasonably priced!

The Hotel itself:

The decor is very beautiful and well maintained. It's an older building, so you can see the age in places, but not in a negative way; it added character and charm. Like a good patina on antiques, the parts of Hotel Phillips that looked aged added a feeling of authenticity and
wisdom. I loved it! Oh, and the location is fantastic - right in the heart of downtown with great views!

Recommendations: Get a corner suite! The far-right corner of the entrance (I apologize for not remembering which direction that is) has amazing views! However, go AS HIGH as possible for better views. NOTE: This corner is near the elevator and you can hear noisy/drunk guests. It did not bother me and my fiance, but if noise bothers you -- take a different corner suite and ask to be far away from the elevator.

Overall, I thought it was reasonably priced for the experience as a whole (minus the noise at times, which was not every night... I think it happened twice. Other than that, it was an awesome experience and I would recommend to friends/family!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again! We appreciate any and all comments from our guests.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We found a great Expedia rate and stayed on a Saturday night. This is a really cute boutique hotel with a good restaurant and room service options. Great location and friendly service. The double double room was surprisingly spacious. Good option for a weekend trip.. It's not the ritz, but it has character if you are looking to avoid the chain hotels nearby.

• Stayed January 2013
Our associates and I are happy your brief stay with us was enjoyable!
Lees Summit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Phillips for a valentines weekend and attended a concert at P&L. i absolutely love the history and ambiance of the Hotel Phillps. The Ball Room is gorgeous and remenisant of old ballroom parties with the gowns the top hats, the maritnis, cigar smoke and gambling. The lobby is just as enchanting, then theres this stair case that goes downstair to what looks like it could be a really cool bar, but its vacant???? dont know why. The room was as expected, this is an old hotel, expectations werent as pretentious as today's snobs, so they werent built for primadonnas. It has a bed, a bathroom, tv, dresser, and an outstanding view, thats all you need in that districtAnd yes the parking isnt great, but its downtown... LOVE LOVE LOVE the hotel, and will come back again! Oh and had room service at 2:00am ! Thanks!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments, and we are very pleased you enjoyed our hotel.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I like a hotel that feels like it has some history to it. This is an old building brought back to life, a solid place with large rooms (spacious even with a rollaway bed in it) and cool bathrooms. Vintage lobby, clean, lots of marble, felt like it had seen a lot. Helpful staff. Good breakfast in the restaurant downstairs.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments and we very much appreciate your business.
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

First of all, as you can see I don't write many reviews. It takes something above and beyond, and our New Year's Eve wedding at Hotel Phillips was absolutely spectacular. I stayed for 4 nights, and the staff literally could not have been more accomadating on anything I asked. We had a fairly 'festive' group attending the wedding, and the reviews we've been given on each of their stays have been outstanding. We had our reception on the mezzanine level and in the ballroom, and every detail was beyond what we imagined. It was the PERFECT venue for a winter wedding. It offers a unique combination of sitting areas, open space, and nooks and crannies that sets it apart from any wedding I've attended. The bride and I LITERALLY could not script it any better. Specifically, we'd like to thank Leslie Sargent who worked with us on the planning and did an over the top job on every last detail, making it a night we will never ever ever forget (Oh and neither will the guests who can't stop talking about it).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on your marriage. Our staff, and Leslie Sargent are very appreciative of your comments.
Dan Bergmann

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!