“Amazing classic hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Amazing classic hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Please ignore the Marriot located close by and do yourself a favor and stay here! Classic finishings in the lobby, with a friendly staff and prompt valet service. I love that they kept the orginal elevators- it just adds a nice touch you don't find on chains. Clean room with comfy beds.

Do not miss out!

• Stayed December 2012
Dan B, General Manager at Hotel Phillips, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on our wonderful staff and product!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Biloxi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a gorgeous art deco property with attractive comfortable rooms (smaller than some) and a pleasant staff. May not be the best choice for a business group, however. We had 8 or 9 in a conference room and the wi-fi was not adequate to allow everyone to connect. Restaurant was good, quick and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel is unique and you can't get that from a chain. There is an old British feel to it.
The valet is a bonus but costs. We brought dogs and they are really pet friendly with providing an awesome dog bed and an eating pad. But the grass is 3 blocks away.

• Stayed December 2012
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is rated as a four star. The lobby is beautiful but my room left much to be desired. There were some thoughtful touches with decor but the mattress had a sink hole in the center, there was no in room safe, or refrigerator, the sheets and towels were of low quality, ie- very rough on the skin and the heating/ac unit made a racquet. The room was decently clean- by no means spotless, and housekeeping did a perfunctory job.

The major downside is that there is no parking. Kansas City is a driving town and a car it is imperative if you want to go anywhere other than the lame Power and Light district (where the hotel is located). There is no on street parking, and the hotel offers valet parking for $18 overnight. It is irritating and the one major flaw.

I should add that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food at the restaurant below- it exceeded my expectations.

This hotel is fine but I did not find it to be of a 4 star caliber and as mentioned earlier, the rooms left much to be desired.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
West Molesey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at two different rooms at the Phillips, and both were comfortable, stylish and spacious. The staff was very helpful, and overall the atmosphere of the hotel was grand, but inviting and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a wonderfully restored hotel - if you're into architecture, it's a great place to stay. Very comfortable beds. Located conveniently downtown, and many of the rooms have nice views. My only complaint is that parking is a hassle, as the area has many one-ways and much of it is metered. So unless you're looking to pay valet, then expect a parking hassle. Overall though, this is a great place and I would recommend it to visitors and to people living in KC.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Greenfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked a stay through Priceline.com and the reservation for Hotel Phillips was made. I looked up some information on the hotel before traveling so I would know what to expect. I read a few reviews, good and bad. It's an old hotel, which adds to the charm of staying downtown. The lobby is beautiful and check in went smoothly. When we got to our room the door was very tight to open and close and had to be nearly slammed to close. My first impression of the room was not best. There were two very small beds with a partial wall between them. This would be great if we were just having a girls weekend away, but not a romantic getaway for a married couple of 25 years. After a few minutes I called the front desk to see if we could change to a different room. I was told there was nothing available and that maybe I could push the beds together. Really? Because of the partial wall, which held a furnace, that was not possible. I was put on hold for a moment and when the clerk returned she said they may have something open up later or they could offer me a $30 voucher for the restaurant. After discussing with my husband we decided to just take the voucher instead of repacking and changing rooms late at night. We had to go through several people to even claim our voucher, which got to feel like begging.
The room itself was decorated nicely. It was surface clean except for the bathroom. In the bathroom the wallpaper edges were curling and the grout in the tub/shower was mildewed. The restaurant was nice, and the food was good. The seating was a bit uncomfortable and needed to be fixed. The old upholstery was in goods shape but the seats were broken down causing you to sit very low. I noticed other couples having the same experience with the seating.

We used valet parking for the $18 per-day fee. Checkout was fairly smooth as well.

When we returned home I checked my statement a only to find I was charged $30 by the hotel. The only charge we incurred was the valet parking fee. I am contacting them to see what this charge was for, but I have a suspicion I know already.

I doubt I stay there again. It want horrible, but it was t fabulous either. And if I am being charged for my complimentary voucher, well that is unacceptable. Using Priceline I had a decent price for the hotel. If I actually received the $30 discount on the voucher, I would be pleased with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate all comments and feedback, and have looked into the $30.00 fee. It was due to authorizing in advance for any incidentals you might incur, not charged, however a debit card will take several days to clear if not used.

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!