“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
South Dakota
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Phillips for two nights for a wedding. I have mixed feelings about the property. Neat decor and history, but the overall cleanliness was not appealing. Upon check in we were told all rooms had recently been renovated. I'm not sure what they renovated - our wallpaper was peeling off of the walls. Carpet was fine though, which I guess is more important. Our bed linens and comforter were stained and very unappealing. After calling the front desk, they attempted to rectify the problem; however, the second set of sheets were worse than the first. After we stripped the sheets, we realized how disgusting the mattress pad was - hair and stained/soiled. Staff did not have another for us, so we had to make do with the extra stained sheets as a replacement for the mattress pad. The next morning housekeeping got us a clean mattress pad and sheets in much better condition. As far as a wedding location, it was great. The ballroom for the wedding was very cool and the food was awesome. Although the front desk staff and housekeeping were very pleasant, I would not stay at this hotel again. For the price I had to pay, I expected more. Also, this would not be a good place to stay with a family. Our small children were not with us and I was happy for that. There are not kid-friendly amenities, nor even vending at the hotel. My husband and I wanted a small snack one afternoon (nothing big enough to warrant room service or the hotel restaurant) and we had to go to the Holiday Inn down the street and use their vending options.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

The Hotel Phillips is a beautiful art-deco property built in 1930. Its recent renovations have brought it up to a high standard that you would expect at any very well-run first-class hotel. Reviewers before me have already raved about the the elegant and cozy lobby that transports you back to a time gone by (but truthfully, piping in "hip" lounge music is a tish irritating, even though I understand it's meant to "de-stuffisize". Uhhh, lose the lounge music and pipe in retro Billie Holliday, for example).

My room, 1910, was very tiny, which is not a problem for me since I was only one person and I'm not very large. The room is renovated and fitted out with all the expected amenities. A very nice touch were the wooden Venetian blinds, a nice relief from grim, heavy drapery found in most hotels. The room was clean, save for a coating of dust on places one would not ordinarily look, such as the lamps, the blinds, and the luggage stand. Other very tiny issues: Dim bathroom lighting; loose toilet seat; hot water running from the cold side of the tap all day Sunday; fitted bottom bed sheets would prevent the bunching up of the linens during the night. By the way, the bed was very comfortable, otherwise.

Mandy, Usman, and Gil, at Reception are stars. Generally, the entire staff was bright, cheerful, and knowledgeable.

The restaurant is pleasant, but the food was not exceptional.

My Kindle Fire would not connect with the hotel's wi-fi, despite the efforts of Gil and Mandy to get it going. They went out of their way to help, but, apparently, the Phillips' wi-fi service needs a bit of a tweak.

Finally, the location of the Phillips is excellent. No more than a couple of blocks is The Power & Light District, which has a great food market, "Cosentino's", a fun bar/resto called "Bar Louie's", and other dining options which will not break the bank.

A ten minute walk got me to the brand new, and magnificent, Kauffman Performing Arts Center, where I took in a brilliant production of the Barber of Seville, performed by the wonderful Kansas City Lyric Opera. The Nelson-Atkins Art Museum is world-class, and is a mere ten minutes from the Phillips. A person appreciative of the arts will not find KC lacking.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Service at a hotel makes all the difference and this hotel is certainly lacking in this area. We both travel extensively for business and pleasure and would not recommend this hotel for its price/value ratio.

While this hotel is beautiful, the staff is significantly inefficient. The day of check-in they could not confirm our reservation because their computer "glitched" and it was under my guest's name. After addressing the issue over the phone, my guest arrived earlier and did the initial check-in. When I arrived later that day (after working a long day), they could not give me a key because my name was not on the reservation even though I made the reservation under my name - very frustrating! The day before departure we asked for a late check-out and they very promptly responded that we would have to call in the morning. We called at 9 am and they said we could have a late check-out if we paid for a half day! The room service also missed a few requests with our breakfast. The corner suite room is just a normal hotel room - no fridge, etc. Overall, we were just under-impressed with our experience.

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Beautiful art deco renovation. Years ago this was the Radisson & it was a dump. Now, the lobby is gorgeous & the rooms are renovated. Excellent location, reasonable valet parking (you will need a car in KC), free wi-fi. Definitely recommend it. Only drawbacks are a lack of black out curtains, so if you don't want light this isn't for you. Also, the bathroom was minescule. Very nice front desk staff.

Ankeny, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I recently spent our 10 yr anniversary at this hotel. We were unfamiliar with the hotel and the downtown KC area but were surprised at the convenient location just a few miles straight N of the Plaza shopping district and all the entertainment just within a few blocks of the hotel. Within one mile we found great restaurants, an awesome AMC theatre, and a really nice atmosphere for walking the block. The staff was courteous and helpful and the room was very cozy and clean. I will stay here again and recommend it!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mobile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was a great hotel in an interesting district of town. The rooms were a comfortable size and surprisingly quiet for being in a downtown area. My housekeeper, Rita, left daily notes on my bed with uplifting messages. It was actually very sweet. The bar downstairs was awesome and a great place to hang out.

Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I stayed here for a single night on a business trip. The hotel decor, particularly the common areas, was inviting. My room was on the small side but quite comfortable. The pillows and comforter were among the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel. I really enjoyed having my morning coffee in the mezzanine...lots of comfy, quiet places to sit and enjoy. I understand they also have complimentary wine in the late afternoon/early evening, but I didn't have a chance to partake. The location was great - many restaurants and bars within an easy walk.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Phillips? Share your experiences!