“It was a room” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #59 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
“It was a room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was not overly impressed being that this is a normal hotel that I use when I travel!! It was any one thing but it just wasn't what I expected!!! It was a good hotel and the staff was OK!! The breakfast was something I decided I could skip!!!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
STURGEON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The room was not the most spacious, but it was in excellent shape and very well cleaned. My only reservation about the room is it would have been nice to have at least two chairs. The temperature controlled room heater kept the room at exactly the right temperature during a cold night. We had a very strong WiFi signal and the system was easy to access.

My daughter is handicapped, and the room was perfectly located. I could not have picked out a better room.

We had a reservation via the Choice Hotels Website and it took less than a minute to check in. The staff was exceptional.

The breakfast was exactly as avertised and one of the best hotel breakfasts we have had in a long while. I would only make one suggestion. It would have been nice to have some sugar-free syrup and a cereal choice that was not high in sugar. Examples of this type of cereal would be shredded wheat, cherios, or even corn flakes.

I could not get the waffle batter dispenser to work and I mentioned this to the staff and they came in to check it in literally seconds. The problem was "operator error" on my part. I was having trouble finding oatmeal I could eat (I am diabetic) and a staff member came and found some regular oatmeal for me. (First rate attention to the customer.) While we were eating I saw them restock the breakfast items TWICE.

The Motel was easily accessable from the Interstate and very well maintained. One of the Best Values for the money I have seen in several years.

However, I have to say the motel does not deserve a "5" rating - but I am not allowed to rate it any higher (I would give it "6" if I could!) This is because of the highly attentive and courtious staff with their unusual attention to the needs of customers combined with the unusually high value of the stay,

I have stayed in motels that have cost 3 times as much as this one with one-third of the quality of staff. Well done!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've reviewed this property twice here on TripAdvisor, and here is my 3rd. This is generally my usual place to stay in KC, because it's such a good value.

I've read some of the other reviews... Don't expect a lot here. It's basic. My room tonight (I'm staying here as I type this) is $44.99 plus tax. This isn't a roach motel, and yes the bathroom is very small (and that dang sliding door to the bathroom). Tonight, my A/C-Heat unit worked great.

I have seen some signs of age here though. The comforter in my room was stained... I saw a stain on the carpet in one of the corners of the room that looked like blood. The smell in my room was funky... almost body-odor like... but not overwhelming. I blame the A/C-Heat unit.

The morning breakfast is great though... Hot (waffles and biscuits/gravy) and cold items. If the breakfast area is too small, take it back to your room... that's what I always do!

All in all, this will continue to be my usual KC overnight stop.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Sleep Inn near the airport in Kansas City, MO is one of the larger and older Sleep Inns I have stayed at in recent years. Based on my experiences at other Sleep Inns and the nightly cost of a room near the airport in a large American city, I made my reservation on line, even after reading the reviews of previous guests.

At the Kansas City Airport Sleep Inn, the rooms are small, need updating, and, (based on my experience) require thorough cleaning on a regular basis. Our room, especially the bathroom, was very small and poorly spaced. It did not include a bath tub and the small, oval-shaped shower, was in need of a thorough cleaning and major repairs. Stains on the carpet and spots on the wall also detracted from the appearance of the room and were further indicators of the room's need for updating/cleaning.

The breakfast at this Sleep Inn was satisfactory, contained some hot food items, but was not a memorable one that guests would look forward to. Also, for a multi-story inn/hotel with 100+ rooms, the eating area was extremely small, required guests to eat in very "tight quarters," and must have had a capacity of less than 40 persons (my estimate).

I found all members of the staff to be helpful and friendly. However, during my 2+ day stay at this Sleep Inn, I never saw any supervisory personnel or the inn manager and was surprised at the questionable behaviors of multiple staff members. Based on my observations and as I observed on-duty staff playing games on a computer set aside for guests, eating their late-night dinner in the main lobby, carrrying on personal conversations in public areas, appearing casually rather than professionally attired, providing guests with minimal service..., the need for and importance of additional supervision became obvious to me. After watching the CEO of Sleep Inns and other Choice Hotel brands on the Undercover Boss television program, I wish he would have had this Sleep Inn on his list of scheduled stops.

In conclusion and mainly due to its reasonable price (about $60.00 per night for our two-bed room), I would rate this Sleep Inn as "average." Additionally, the Inn provides guests with a free airport shuttle, an added bonus for anyone needing transportation to or from the airport. Potential guests looking for a reasonable rate at an inn/hotel very close to the Kansas City Airport with free airport shuttle service and within a 10 minute drive of downtown Kansas City will want to consider this Sleep Inn. Guests who seek the typical Sleep Inn-type of lodging will be disappointed with the accomodations at this Inn, but pleased to find an inn with Sleep Inn amenities at such a reasonable price and so close to the Kansas City Airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Winnebago, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

To say our stay at Sleep Inn was less than stellar would be like saying summers in the Middle East may be warm. From check in to check out our stay was plagued with less than pleasant circumstances. We booked in advance, but arrived to find things were not as promised. The queen-size bed we reserved was actually a full size bed, the shower was built for one of Santa’s elves, and the split unit/ HV-AC made more racket than a nursery school after a red-bull snack break. The room was not cleaned properly. Someone-else’s hair was on the floor in the Shower, in the bathroom, and there was even a long red hair made up in the bedding. The pillows were soft, but were also sized for one of Santa’s elves. I have camped out on better surfaces than the one our bed provided. I was careful not to put my suitcase on the floor or bed after seeing a huge water bug run up one of the walls. Between the noise of the AC & worry some huge bug was going to crawl into bed with us to spoon, neither me nor my wife slept well. After a poor night sleep, and a long flight ahead, we went to the breakfast, but were not at ease eating the food… wondering if roaches or worse may have been crawling over the food. We should have stayed elsewhere, and you should too. The only highlight this place had was the park & fly. The shuttle driver was very friendly, and got us right to our gate with time to spare. I would recommend this place shut down for a few days and take some corrective actions. Phone reservations, check-in, facility maintenance, and house keeping all need some administrative attention. I would not recommend this place to a friend.

Room Tip: Check out other hotels in the area. If you choose to stay here... don't put your suitcase on th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seneca, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We've stayed at Sleep Inn's before and not had a problem, but this one will leave you anything but rested. Our heating and cooling unit was LOUD, and it turned off and on all night, so we were kept awake by the change from grinding noise to nothing and back again. Add to this the planes taking off overhead and people shouting in the hallway at random times during the night, and we were left exhausted. The only bright spot in our stay was the free hot breakfast. It was delicious and the area was kept cleaned and stocked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Emporia, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I cannot complain much for $55 a night. I picked this place because the location was perfect for me, and I only needed a place to stay for two nights: nothing fancy.

The rooms do look old, but they were clean and quiet. The beds were pretty comfy. Now, do not expect a fantastic breakfast there or an excellent Internet connection. If you want to eat something nice, there is Waffle House just down the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn Airport Kansas City? Share your experiences!