“Not perfect but okay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Hotel

You added Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11828 NW Plaza Circle, Kansas City, MO 64153 (Formerly Clarion Hotel Airport)   |
Ranked #97 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Mesquite, Texas
“Not perfect but okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

First off I will start with positives. AWESOMELY friendly staff, quiet rooms for so close to the airport, nice fresh linens and SUPER comfortable bed. The following negatives were conveyed to and talked about with the manager at our check out after our 2 night stay in room 112. He was VERY receptive to the constructive criticism and much of this may well have been repaired very quickly from his can-do attitude.

Negatives would include not so great of breakfast, sticky floor in the food area is off-putting. The tables were sticky as well and that just makes me feel like the whole kitchen is probably not really clean. Don't like shared jelly jars...would prefer individual packets for cleanliness...and that they just sat open for several hours made it even less appealing. ANY food in room is highly discouraged from sign in breakfast area saying not to take food to room and the fact that there is no refrigerator or microwave in the room. They sell candy, etc. in the lobby but don't want food in the rooms. The directory pages in our room was covered in grease stains and scribbles. The cleaning staff should check those weekly. The floor in front of the sink area is obviously rotten under the carpet and the cause of this is water leaking around the shower curtain. It was suggested that they move the curtains inward to allow for better containment because we tried to work with it and it just doesn't close well. Probably because of the water issue there was a very slight musty smell in the room but not over-powering and not moldy...just musty. The electric outlet by the sink for the coffee maker and blow-dryer was VERY loose in the wall. The entire outlet pushed inward when used. The manager seemed very concerned by this and I am sure it was fixed promptly. The problem so often is that people put bad reviews about places and yet don't bring issues to management's attention so that they can be fixed for the next person. And I think the person who had the bad experience with management probably wasn't overly kind in presenting the issues to them. The manager I spoke with specifically got out pen and paper and I watched him take notes of every single thing I pointed out and he even asked specific questions about other things.

The workout room is no more than a closet and I couldn't get the stair-climber to work. It smelled unpleasant and aside from checking out the equipment I didn't stay in there. The treadmill works but badly needs to be replaced or at least have the deck runner replaced. The pool & Jacuzzi area was clean and there were towels available. The water itself in both was a bit cloudy but we were told it had just had chemicals put in.

All in all I thought the price here was a bit high for the condition of things. I would probably not recommend this hotel mostly because of the breakfast situation. The parking lot was a bit crowded because they offer park & ride to the airport but we found parking spots easily enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 112. It was quiet and centrally located between the pool, workout area and lobby.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rogers, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Non smoking room smelled like dirty ash tray and mold. Pool was so cloudy couldn't see bottom and bugs and hair floating in it, ceiling in pool area falling down, not towels in pool area, bottom of pool chair nasty with dirty and short hair, breakfast was so bad we didn't eat, dust so thick on glass above breakfast bar you cant see threw it. dirty glasses, hot juice and no milk for cerial. sign for waffle iron but not waffle iron, read other reviews guess its been out of order awhile. no parking had to park in dirt lot beside hotel due to them letting people park and shuttle to air port. sleep by number beds but they don't work and remote so nasty I wouldn't even touch it. I have nothing against smoking or smokers but people hanging out of windows smoking. dirty carpets, Mold over shower and mold between titles. Cant believe health department hasn't closed this place down.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Our worst hotel experience ever. After we checked in the place was dirty and ran down. The bathroom smelled of old urine. Glitter on the floor. Iron leaked. They were airing out a room down the hall. It smelled like someting died and rotted in there. We decided to check out. They refused to offer a refund (since booked through Expedia). The Owner/Manager then got involved. He cursed at me loudly and repeatedly using the F word alot. I told him to calm down & quite cursing at me. He did not & said he was tired of people like me & demanded that I show him. When I showed him the dirt on the floor, he got very angry & said with his accent; "get out of my hotel now and never come back"! A very angry little man that has no customer skills. Then he lied to Expedia and told them that I was rude to his staff so he could keep his money. He knows how to play the game and I am out two nights of hotel cost. We went to a very nice Holliday Inn around the corner for the same amount. They saw that I was a bit shook up over this experience and gave us free drinks for our run in with what they call "the dirty place".

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.
Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My 3 adult daughter and I stayed here one night before a 5K. The parking lot was completely full, even though we didn't see many people. I know they offer Park and Ride to the airport, so I'm guessing that's where the people were. When we checked in, the desk clerk was very nice, and when I asked about the on-site restaurant, he said "It's right here". When I looked to where he gestured, I thought "That can't be it", because there was not one soul there, even though it was dinner time. The food wasn't half bad; the waitress said that the night before had been slow also, but sometimes they are really busy. Made us wonder if we should eat there or not, since it was just the 4 of us there.
We took the stairs from the 2nd floor to the lobby one time; it was filthy, with garbage around, and not very well lit. We started calling it the "Rape Stairwell" because that's what it looked like.
The best thing about the hotel was the Sleep Number beds, even though they didn't hold their air through the night. There were only 3 towels in the bath, even though there were 2 queen beds, and 4 of us. We didn't want to go back to the lobby for another one, so we just shared. If we do this 5K again next year, we will not be staying here. I'd rather pay a little more, and get a little more.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This isn't the worst hotel I've stayed in, but this is a great example of over promising service and under performing in the delivery. The first night I found a wet, dirty towel in the shower and a queen sized sheet on a king sized bed. Also, the toilet seat shows signs of rotting. Parking is abysmal. The offer of parking and shuttle to the airport seems to be more important than making sure the hotel patrons have sufficient parking. The last thing is the "gym" has an array of equipment that is unsafe or non-functional. The treadmill slips, the stair cliber would not support my weight, and the exercise bike controls were broken. I was afraid to try the weight machine. My recommendation is to save your money for something else.

Room Tip: you're better off at a national chain
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
kansas city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was a guest at the plaza hotel and i had a very good experience it was a good location fast and friendly shuttle service good clean rooms and very nice staff also the hot breakfast was very tasteful also i would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed July 2014
Sandy Springs, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I really would not say this is a poor hotel, just a nice 2 star hotel, perhaps above average for 2 stars, but still below 3 star. To lump this in with other 3 stars hotel is a disservice to the reader and to other 3 star hotels. It would be nice to see Trip Adviser create categories (say luxury) and then rate the hotel within that category.

Location: Very close to the airport. There is a shuttle that runs every half hour or so.

General: I recommend the hotel IF other 3 star or better hotels are unavailable.

Reception Area: The reception area is small in this hotel due to much of the space being taken up by the restaurant, however there is a small seating area or you can sit in the restaurant area. The staff was somewhat on the cold side, but helpful and efficient.

Room: I must admit it is difficult to judge the quality of the room. To begin with the room and hotel overall, while old, are clean. As far as 2 star hotels go I would think this is one of the better ones and probably had better days when it was newer. The towels are wanting, but the bed was comfortable with pillows the size of something you would put in the corner of a couch, but there were plenty of them. Everything is dated, from the bathroom to the furniture and the television, but again, for a 2 star it is really not bad and when I was there the hotel was sold out (as were all the hotels in the area, thus why I ended up there).

Food: I did not eat at the hotel, though breakfast is provided.

Check in: As noted above, the staff was not overtly friendly and they seemed understaffed for a sold out day, however that is understandable under the circumstances. The person checking you in is answering the phones and doing many other things at the same time, however I did not have any problems and my room was as reserved.

Tip for Runners: When you leave the hotel you can go either left or right and do a ¾ mile loop. If you leave the hotel and turn right and make another right at the corner and follow the road for a mile, there is a park on the left with about a mile loop.

My reservation record was accurate.

The check-in process was just okay.

The check-in staff was just okay, but not at all impolite.

Guest Room
My room was clean and comfortable.
My room was furnished appropriately.
My bed and bedding was comfortable.
The room was quiet and properly sized.

Guest Staff
The guest staff was a little slow, but reliable.
The guest staff was knowledgeable.

Housekeeping staff – my room was clean and had all amenities expected. It did have a burnt out bulb.

Food and Dining
I did not dine at the hotel.

Amenities
I did not use any hotel amenities.

Check out
The check-out process was timely and efficient.
I received a complete and accurate bill.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room towards the end of the hall.

Room Tip: Pick a room near the end of the hall to cut down on noise. A room away from the airport might help...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!