“Beware of lobby clock” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
midwest
“Beware of lobby clock”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

We stayed here one night to catch an early morning flight the next morning. The front desk said the shuttle leaves every 15 minutes on the quarter hour. When we arrived right on time, the shuttle had already left. The other shuttle driver, who was standing around, informed us that they used the clock on the lobby wall. She wasn't interested in learning that the clock was fast (based on my cell phone time). So we waited for the next shuttle, and that same driver was a few minutes late for that trip (by both my cell phone and the infamous clock on the wall). That, plus the very thin walls in this hotel, will keep us from staying here again.

• Stayed July 2008

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
East Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton KCI on a business trip at the recommendation of my coworkers. Since Embassy Suites foolishly decided they would not honor my company's government rate any longer, the Hilton was a highly regarded second choice.

Arrival was uneventful. I checked in via the automated system and away I went up to the room. The room was spacious and well kept but had a lingering smell of dirty laundry. After going to pick up my coworkers, I noticed that their rooms also had the same stale smell.

My biggest complaint was the noise in this hotel. Doors slammed all night as drunken guests hobbled up from the bar to their rooms, often stopping in the hallways to have loud conversations outside my door. The walls here are so thin that I could hear the guy next door arguing with his wife back home and setting up dates with his girlfriend in KC. I was not trying to hear this; it was as if the guy were in the same room as me. I could also hear other guests using the bathroom on the other side. The walls are simply too thin with no noise insulation. The slamming doors problem was interesting since my door was quite silent when I closed it. I suspect people were deliberately trying to smal their doors to disturb others. Lastly, since this hotel is somewhat near Ft. Leavenworth KS, you get a lot of "green-suiters" staying there who like to wake up at 4AM every morning, slamming their doors as they leave. This is not the place for a good night sleep.

The only other issue I had was the front desk. They charged me an extra $40 for my wireless connection on one of the says I was staying there. $10/day is already overprices for wifi since the holiday inn next door offers free Wifi (even the Commander's Inn in Leavenworth has free WiFi!!!). The front desk was unable, or unwilling, to correct my bill without a great fuss.
Other than this, the front desk lost an important letter that another guest left for me, and they were generally too busy chatting among themselves to help the guests.

I did not use the shuttles but I did notice the "royal airline pilot treatment" mentioned in other reviews. I guess "Diamond" members get better treatment than "Blue" members.

Other cons: the breakfast at the Hilton is not that great and they charged me $16 for the buffet and a coffee. Nearly every other guest ate for free due to their status level. The breakfast was worth $4.99 at most. Come on Hilton. Just make the breakfast buffet free for guests and offer free internet int he rooms like every other hotel in the vicinity. Nickel and diming customers will make you lose business in the long run.

Overall I would not stay at this Hilton again. The Hyatt down the street is much nicer, and I have had a pleasant stay at the Mariott too. Coupled with the Embassy Suites failure to honor their rates to government contractors, and the quality / service of this Hilton, I am not going to consider staying in another Hilton chain hotel in the KC area any time soon.

• Liked — Location to Zona Rosa
  • Disliked — Paper Thin Walls
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding (the reception was at the hotel). The hotel itself was very nice. The rooms were decorated and up to date (nice big flat screen tv too!). My issues with this hotel were that they advertise they are near the Zona Rosa shopping center (which they are - about 5 minutes) and offer a shuttle for hotel guests between the hotel and the shopping center- every hour on the hour. The hotel has 2 shuttles, which they also use to transport guests to/from the airport (5 mins away). When we checked into the hotel, another guest asked the receptionist about the shuttles schedule. She replied that it runs on the hour, every hour. We checked into our room and decided to go get something to eat at the shopping center (there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel except for 2 gas stations). At noon, we waited for the shuttle. When the shuttle came, the driver told us that he couldn't bring us because he needed to bring airline pilots to the airport. We asked when he would be available to bring us to the shopping center and he said they wouldn't be able to until after 3pm. He stated that both shuttles were needed to drive airline employees to/from the airport and that they would be busy doing this until 3pm. The driver made it clear to us that weren't as valued of a guest as the airline employees were. Instead, we walked to the gas station to grab snacks. When we walked back from the gas station, one of the shuttles was parked at the hotel entrance - just sitting there. Transporting nobody. It could have transported us to the shopping center and came back in the amount of time it sat in that spot!

The following day, we had several hours to kill before heading to the airport ourselves. Since we were "aware" that the shuttles were "busy" between noon and 3pm shuttling pilots, we found our own ride to the shopping center. We tried to arrange for the shuttle to pick us up from the shopping center at a specific time (as suggested by the hotels receptionist). We suggested a time AFTER 3pm. The shuttle driver told us we should take a taxi instead!

As a paying guest at this hotel - I too deserve the same services as the pilots. They made us feel as though taking us to the shopping center and back was out of the way, when in fact it was a 3-5 minute trip. If they can't promise that they can truly go to and from the shopping center every hour - then they need to stop telling their guests that they can.

• Liked — Close to the airport
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

We stayed here for one night at $74.00. I am a Hilton Gold member, so, we were upgraded to a larger room and given complimentary breakfast. The service at this hotel was great. The check-in staff was friendly and quickly had more towels and lotions brought to our room. The breakfast staff was chatty and wanted to take our plates as soon as we finished them. Unlike a previous reviewer, I did not have any problems with the doors slamming, probably because the hotel was not busy. I really have no complaints.

• Liked — quick airport shuttle, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spring Hill, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

We were looking for a comfortable/quiet place to spend the night that was convenient to catch an early morning flight from KCI. This Hilton is super convenient to KCI and comfortable but quiet it isn't!

This hotel is older construction and was built back when they used those big heavy metal doors fitted with heavy return springs. SLAM SLAM SLAM all night long. Also people seemed to like to carry on long conversations in the hallway half the night.

Other than that, it is an average Hilton.

• Liked — Didn't need to set an alarm clock
  • Disliked — Slamming doors all night long
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
arlington,texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

Stayed here for 2 days, Nice clean hotel,lots of FREE parking, close to the freeway and a nice buffett in the lounge. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

My flight to MCI was late and I missed my connection, the last of the evening. I called various properties near the airport and found the Hilton had a rate to my liking. The hotel was nicely maintained and the free shuttle from and to the airport was very convenient. The room was a bit dated and needed a small amount of maintenance on the commode handle, but otherwise was very nice. I had a good night sleep and would stay their again if I had to overnight at the airport. The staff was very friendly too and the indoor pool looked inviting.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Having to fix the commode handle
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Kansas City Airport? Share your experiences!