“Overall a good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Belleville, Illinois, United States
“Overall a good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Westin recently as part of a weekend trip from St. Louis to Kansas City via Amtrak. The reason for our trip was to go to Legoland, which is in Crown Center. It was only logical to stay at the Westin as it is connected to both Crown Center and Union Station.

When I made the reservation, I noted that we were going to be celebrating our son's birthday. When I called the day of arrival to confirm my reservation, I again noted this. When we checked in, the front desk agent read aloud this information and said she'd make sure that the hotel would send up a goodie from room service. Since we arrived so late in the day, she said she'd send it the following night.

We were pleased to be upgraded to a corner room. There were two "balconies" that overlooked Union Station. The kids enjoyed watching the trains go by. The room was very large but the bathroom was rather small and there was rust on the ceiling above the shower head. The TV was rather old. It was very warm in our room and would not cool down even after setting the thermostat to 66. We just cracked open the windows for a while.

It was very convenient to be able to walk right into Crown Center. We liked being so close that we could run back to our room to drop off packages, take a nap, etc.

We had the breakfast buffet both days at Brasserie in the lobby. The $1 price for kids made it attractive. We had the same waitress both days and she was great.

Our last night at the hotel was a waiting game... the promised birthday amenity had not showed up, even while we were out for dinner. I let the kids stay up a little while just to see if room service would come, but nothing. I did mention this upon checkout and the front desk agent was very apologetic.

In summary - Great location. Physically getting a little run down, at least in the guestrooms and hallways. Certainly appreciated the free upgrade, but a little disappointed in the missed amenity. Westin needs to take a page out of Four Seasons Hotel's playbook when it comes to catering to children.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Shannon P- Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and means a lot you would chose the Westin to celebrate your son's birthday! We are very excited about the Sea Life Aquarium and Lego Land that are new additions to Crown Center and it is great to hear you were able to take advantage of this! We have a great package deal for these attractions on our website for your future stays. I am so happy you were able to enjoy your suite and your kids were able to have fun watching the trains from their room. I sincerely apology for the issues you enountered with the birthday amenity not arriving to your room. I have shared your comments with our Restaurant Management as well as our Front Office Manager so we can work to better communicate with our staff to prevent this from occurring in the future. This is not what staying at a Westin should feel like. We would love the opportunity to have you back in the future and hear what you think of the new lobby renovations that will be complete in March. Thank you again for sharing your recent stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our family went to Kansas City from St. Louis on the Amtrak. We did not want to get a rental car so we decided to stay at the Westin at Crown Center which is attached to Union Station by a covered, elevated walkway. This is the second time we made this trip as it is a nice, long weekend getaway. The Westin is a wonderful place to stay. We booked a standard (2 bed) room and requested an upper floor. When we checked in, we were told that we were not only on the 15th floor but we were also upgraded to a corner suite! What a wonderful room, lots of space for our family and beautiful views out of the ceiling to floor windows that covered the entire wall. We had a beautiful view both day and night! The beds are so comfortable and have multiple layers of bedding and pillows of every kind. There was only 1 tv in the corner suite but it has a swivel so you can turn it towards the seating area or the beds. This hotel is attached to the Crown Center Shopping Mall that has wonderful restaurants and other venues. We saw the live theatrical production of Number the Stars which was also very nice. The Westin will also give you a discount card to use at numerous shops, restaurants and other venues at the Crown Center. There is a Legoland and SeaLife at the Crown Center as well. The Brassiere restaurant that is at the Westin offers Kids Eat for $1.00 with adult meal purchase. We ate Sunday breakfast buffet and it was wonderful, tastey food, fresh and hot, The $1.00 kids meals made this a great deal. We would totally recommend this wonderful hotel, which is convenient, clean, upscale and beautiful. There were renovations being done in the lobby but we did not hear any noises from the work crews. It is scheduled to be completed in March 2012 which is very soon. If you are going to Kansas City, stay here, you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BCullen46- Thank you for taking your time to share your warm feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is so great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff took great care of you, upgrading you to a high floor, corner suite! We take great pride in our Westin Heavenly beds and I am happy you were able to relax and unwind, while enjoying your beautiful view of downtown Kansas City. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center, connected to so many great shops and restaurants, as well as Union Station and I am pleased you were able to use the Link covered walkway to stay dry and warm, as well as enjoy all of the great amenities Crown Center has to offer! The Westin values your business and looks forward to having the opportunity to serve you and your family as our guests in the future. Our lobby renovations will be complete in March and I would love to hear what you think of the new improvements. Check out the packages we offer online for Sea Life and Lego Land for your next stay.
DeSoto, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am sure when the renovations are complete that it will only add to the attractiveness of the hotel, the access to the mail area is also a plus. I personally would not go during the winter months because I hate cold weather but the city is attractive and has a variety of dining options, casinos are always a plus for some people, although I did not get to go, I did talk to someone in my group who did and was told that they were easily accessible by bus. I enjoyed dining at Gates Barbecue, Nellie's Soul food and Milanos, all if which were absolutely great, but the breakfast buffet at the hotel was the best.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 16th floor facing the front of the hotel, it was nice and quiet and the fact that th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Malinda M- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Crown Center area attractive and convenient during the winter months. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy you were able to take advantage of our many dining options in our hotel and Crown Center, as well as get to try famous Kansas City Barbeque. We are very excited about the lobby renovations that will be complete in March and I would love to hear what you think of the new improvements next time you return! We look forward to serving you as our guest in the future and creating another signature stay!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was in Kansas for a week for my job and a co-worker suggested this hotel based upon the proximity to my office. I've stayed in many other SPG/Starwood hotels all over the country and this one did not impress me one bit! It was nice that it was attached to a small shopping mall (all directed toward children!) and a few decent restaurants but the place is very, very run down. Not even a block away is the Sheraton and that is also owned by Starwood hotels. Do yourself a favor and stay there instead of the Westin. My co-worker did and our week-long stays in Kansas City were as different as black and white.

Room Tip: I did not see a spa and there was no breakfast included in my stay so I have no opinion about those...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
DogNamedBill- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. I sincerely apologize we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay. We are currently renovating our lobby and this will be complete in March. It would be great to have you back to hear what you think of the new improvements. I hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood Hotels. We truly value your business and would love the opportunity to serve you as our guest in the future and provide and signature stay. Thank you again for your comments.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We held our annual event here and from the great dinner in Bentons at the top of the hotel, with an awesome view, to the nightclub atmosphere of the ballroom and the great rooms that we stayed in overnight, the stay was more than we expected. The staff and service was outstanding. We plan to be back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dave F- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and have a fabulous meal at our Bentons Event Space with a beautiful view of downtown Kansas City. The Westin takes great pride in providing signature service to our guests and I am so pleased they made you feel warm and welcome! I am so happy to hear you will be back next year. We value your business and your loyalty to the Westin Crown Center and look forward to providing another signature stay for you in the future! Let us know what you think of the new lobby next time you return!
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I spent a week at the Westin in June as part of a convention. The hotel itself was very good, as was the service and the room. My only complaints were:
1. The internet in my room was between week and nonexistent. This was the case with all of my colleagues who were also staying at the hotel.
2. There are not enough elevators to service a hotel of this size, although the hotel was quite full when I was there.
All in all, a decent experience but not as good as it could have been for the price.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the ground, or be prepared to wait for a long time to catch an elevator!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Go_Leafs1- Thank you for taking your time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was friendly and accommodating. I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered with the internet during your stay. Since then, we have changed internet providers and our PSAV company is now our in house provider. It would be great to have you back and hear how the new internet connection works for you. We are currently renovating our lobby which will be complete in March and I would love to hear how you like the new improvements! Thank you again for your feedback.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Westin staff were wonderful. Had a great stay with a great room. Love the shower with the 5-star shower head. Everyone was very helpful and was more than willing to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The restaurant has great dinners. Would more than recommend to anyone if they are going to be staying in this area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Deborah O- Thank you for taking your time to share your warm feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is so great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was friendly and accommodating, making sure you had a fantastic stay. We are very excited about the new showers in our guest bathrooms and I am pleased to know you were able to take a relaxing shower with our new rainfall shower heads. We truly value your business and thank you for the comments you shared. The Westin family looks forward to having you back as our guest in the future and hearing what you think of the new lobby which will be complete in March!

Been to The Westin Crown Center? Share your experiences!