“good enough” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
IL
“good enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

There wasn't anything bad I would say about my stay here- everyone working there was nice and the room was good. There are a lot of restaurants in the building, but during the weekdays they were all closed after 6:00 or so. There are also a lot of stores there. The room service food was pretty good- dinner was better than the breakfast though.

I believe the hotel was full while I was there, but the rooms were quiet- I never heard the TV's or anything else in the rooms next door. The rooms were pretty spacious also.

There were a few odd things- the closed captioning on the TV comes on by default each time so I had to always go to the settings to turn it off. And the channels change very slowly from when you push the buttons on the remote control, so it takes forever to go through them. Those are minor things though, and overall I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
tc3399- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is great to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and that you were able to take advantage of the shops and restaurants located in Crown Center! The Westin takes great pride in creating a relaxing and refreshing stay for our guests and I am pleased our staff was friendly and accommodating and that you enjoyed your meals in room service. We truly value your business and look forward to having you back to the Westin when our lobby renovations are complete. Thank you again for your comments!

1,347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised to find that in my hotel was 10+ restaurants and plenty of shopping literally just past the lobby is a small shopping mall. The personnel will bend over backwards for travelers, they were amazingly accommodating and I will most definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
MrsErinAshley- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is so great to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to take full advantage of the shops and restaurants connected to the Westin in Crown Center. Thank you for sharing your pictures of your stay! We take great pride of being located in the heart of Crown Center, with amazing views of Liberty Memorial, Union Station and downtown Kansas City. We value your business and look forward to serving you as our guest in the future.
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

New Year's weekend stay Dec '12 was a package with Union Station New Year's celebration, but with the extensive remodeling of the lobby checkin/checkout process a bit challenging and congested. Package was overpriced. Rooms definitely need updating as they are circa 1990's with bathrooms needing major upgrades. Location still great to downtown and Plaza venues & dining options. Upper story rooms great views. Staff as attentive as always and will be outstanding facilty once remodel finished.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KStravelerUSA- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. I sincerely apologize we were unable to meet your expectations during your stay. I understand the frustrations with the lobby undergoing renovations, causing it to be inconvenient at check in and check out. I am very pleased to hear our staff was friendly and accommodating and that you were able to take advantage of the great location to visit the Plaza and other great Kansas City attractions so close by. We genuinely value your business and would love to hear what you think of the new lobby that will be complete in March. Thank you again for sharing your comments, this helps us to better improve for your next stay.
Jefferson City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

First, let me say that the staff at this hotel is clearly a 5-star group - attentive and helpful in every way. But . . . I had what could have been a great room on a coner of the hotel with glass on two sides - one overlooking the beautiful ice-rink in Crown Center. The problem was the the windows were so cruddy one could barely see out. In addition, one of the (two) balcony doors wouldn't close entirely; so I had a constant "breeze" (fortunately it was unseasonably warm in KC that night). The ceiling in the bathroom was discolored (at first I thought it was mold but I found it to be just rust). I suppose those could be seen as "nit-picky" observations because the room was otherwise nice and very clean. But at $249 in a hotel with the great reviews I saw here, I just expected more.

The venue itself is great. It's centrally located in the city; and Crown Center (attached to the hotel) has entertainment and dining of every kind. Three live theatre performances and four movies were available the night I was there. Crown Center is a wonderful place to stay if you're traveling to KC. This hotel just needs a bit of TLC (and there were construction barriers in the lobby; so maybe that's underway).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
James W T- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is so great to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and that your found out staff to be a 5-star group! Your feedback is very important to us and I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered with the dirty windows as well as your bathroom. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping teams so we can work to avoid these types of problems in the future. The Westin takes great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center and I am so delighted you were able to take advantage of the theater and restaurants! We are very excited about the Westin lobby renovations that will be complete in March and I would love to hear what you think of the new improvements on your next stay. We value your business and look forward to providing signature service for you in the future.
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I always love the look of downtown KC and when I stay there I always chose the Westin Crown Center. Especially around Christmas time the hotel and area is PERFECT and you must experience for yourself!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
adotmckensie- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and always enjoy the wonderful scenery of downtown Kansas City, especially during Christmas time. It really is a beautiful time of year in Crown Center with the Mayor's Christmas tree and the Ice Terrace. We value your business and look forward to serving you as our guest in the future. Next time you visit over Christmas, be sure to check out our Shop and See the Lights package we offer!
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed just one night at the Westin Crown Center but it was a lovely experience. When we checked in they asked us what floor we would like and my husband suggested high up so we could enjoy the view. We looked out on beautiful Union Station with it's great light display and the rest of the city. We also got some great advice on a microbrewery. Our room was very clean and our king size bed was great. We find with older hotels there are less noise issues and the Westin seems new, but has the advantage of being very quiet. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ADFUN17- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your lovely view of Union Station from your room. The Westin takes great pride in our Westin Heavenly beds and I am pleased you were able to relax and unwind in comfort. We truly appreciate your loyalty to the Westin and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you as our guest in the future, creating another signature stay. Let us know what you think of the new lobby renovations that will be complete in March.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I travel to Kansas City at least once a year for work and have stayed at various hotels in this area, but I think I like the Westin Crown Center the best. I am a female who travels on business alone and I'm not comfortable exploring cities by myself, so I always stay at hotels that have restaurants inside them. This hotel is the bomb because they have a couple of restaurants in the hotel, but they also connect from their lobby to the Crown Center, which is an indoor mall with a lot of gift shops and restaurants. The great thing is at least a few of the restaurants let you charge to your room, just like the restaurants that are inside the hotel. I ate twice at the hotel restaurant, the Brasserie, but also ate two nights in a row at the Italian restaurant (Milanos?) and the food was great. Also, when I checked in they told me I was a Starwood Gold member (I had no idea, and forgot I had ever signed up), so they had that on record and put me on the top floor of the hotel with my choice of views. I felt very important and it was kinda nice. The room was very clean and nicely decorated and they have a rainfall type shower head that I was a bit unhappy with until I realized you could angle it a bit. It helped to angle it so you could at least stand in the water and not get cold while you shampoo your hair. The hotel is currently being renovated and so the lobby is blocked off to just a small portion and can be a bit loud if you happen to be standing in what's left of the lobby for guests, but other than that, I never heard a sound. Every employee I interacted with was very nice and the whole stay was very pleasant. I will be back.

Room Tip: Join Starwood's guest program (free) to get nice perks like a top floor room with a great view.