“I wish someone in Housekeeping checks the rooms in this hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“I wish someone in Housekeeping checks the rooms in this hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Lobby my be good, service satisfactory but the water pressure in the rooms was pathetic. It barely trickles in the sink and the toilets. The fitness room charges for workout-never seen this before in any hotel chains.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dotti G, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
We appreciate your feedback regarding yiour stay with us and sincerely apologize for any defects you encountered. I would like to have the opportunity to address your concerns directly. At your convenience you may contact me at 816-283-4991 and ask for Dotti. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

When the conference was booked at a Westin, I thought it would be a positive experience. Unfortunately, this property disappointed in many ways. First, the in-room Internet that cost $27 for three days was such a weak signal that I ended up using the free service from the Crown Center--from my room. My television automatically got louder and louder, even when I did nothing to adjust the volume. That was a real shock the first morning when I was in the shower and the TV began to blare. The light blue wall paper and scuffed baseboards led to an overall impression of "out of date."

I was originally assigned a room on the 6th floor and soon found that it was on the ground level with a sliding door. The door handle was rusted and falling off and the locks (two of them) were both not functioning. When I opened the sliding glass door I found patio furniture turned upside down and beer cans on the lawn. Not a great first impression.

Overall the hotel is tired, worn out and in need of an upgrade--in appearance and in technology.

I've read elsewhere on Tripadvisor that they are planning an upgrade to the wifi and it can't come soon enough. Until the technology is upgraded and the rooms are updated, you can do better in KC.

Room Tip: Ask for something above level 6 if you want to be off the ground floor. I was first assigned to the...
Liberty, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have taken multiple trips to the Westin in Kansas City now, some for pleasure and some for business. I have hosted two large customer events (250-300 guests) at the hotel and always had great service and a great event. Their staff is very friendly, helpful and ready to serve. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and have always given me a good nights sleep which I often cannot get at other hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
tabhyde, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
We genuinely appreciate your business and loyalty to The Westin Crown Center and we have shared your comments with our teams. Please contact me directly when visiting KC again as I would like the opportunity to greet you in person. 816-391-4405.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

My daughter plays club volleyball so we travel quite a bit. Like a lot of other trips we had used a booking service so had very little control over the hotel. We stayed in a Westin in Indy last month that was closer to the games but this hotel was far superior. The rooms were quiet and the serene pale blue on the walls helped calm everyone down after a busy day. They also blocked all our team next to each other. Parking was reasonable, Crown Center is actually attached to hotel and Union Station was just across the street diagonally. It's also only 1.2 miles from Bartle Hall,part of the Convention Center, so two of us walked there which is totally doable (during daylight hours only) AND since parking was so bad by the convention center we were already inside,in our seats when the others who drove finally found parking. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed the volleyball tournament, Kansas City and your experience with The Westin Crown Center. We look forward to having the event again next year.
Berryton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a corner room on the 17th floor. The view from one side was downtown and Union Station and the other side was the WW one memorial. It was beautiful. The room had stained, frayed carpet, stains on the ceiling, stains on the chair, the tv service did not work on Saturday morning. Front desk staff helpful, bartender was not friendly at all. Valet parking staff very friendly. I do suggest you call down ahead for your car.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback reagrding your stay with us and sincerely apologize for the defects encountered in your guestroom. I can assure you we immediately addressed the items you brought to our attention. Please contact me directly when planning your next trip to KC. 816-474-4400.
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We are in our second room and are checking out early because we can't stand this hotel. We would have left the minute we checked in however we didn't have a car and it was right next to where our conference was located. We were told that the hotel was renovated about three years ago. I'm not sure what they did. Everything looks old, the sheets and towels are torn and everything is dated. We thought the name Westin would hold true and it would be a decent hotel but it's like no other Westin we've stayed at before. It's a disgrace to the Westin name. We're sucking it up and going to pay for a car to stay somewhere else because it's so bad. We're going to the Raphael hotel. Both of our rooms had little doors by the window that didn't lock. The windows don't seal and cause loud howling when there's slight wind, our first room had the ceiling peeling off, the elevators stop on almost every floor at all times of the day to pick up all of the conference people. The fridges are old and gross. They look like they are from the 70s and are all scraped up and dirty. Our carpet by the window has a strip ripped up and the heavy blue drapery looks like it's from a funeral home. The gym has more equipment than a normal gym but you have to pay $5 per day and you have to check in and out of the gym and pool. And our key's stopped working half way through our trip. There's really no restaurants around except what's at the freight house. Go to Grunauer and skip the other two. It's about a $12 cab ride to the Plaza so if you want things to do don't stay here!

Room Tip: Don't get corner room. it's a weird shape and you can't turn the lights on and off at th...
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

This hotel is terribly overrated. First of all, it's obvious that it has not always been a Westin property. I travel frequently for business and have never experienced a Westin this bad. Many of the Westin amenities you expect, like the double shower head in the "heavenly bath" are absent. Our favorite Westin so far is the one in Napa, CA. It's not luxurious, but it's new, clean, spacious, and offers all the basic things you expect from a Westin. In contrast, this hotel offered one bad experience after another:

1. The place is a dump. Period. The bathrooms look like they were pieced together with crap from a scrapyard. Ours had 3 different colors/patterns of granite/marble/tile. The rooms are barely clean, super dusty, and the elevators look like crap was spilled all over the doors. This was obviously not from a recent incident because the brass doors (which betray the age of the building) had tarnished with the pattern of the spills. The "charming" little windows in the elevator hadn't been cleaned in weeks, and the whole property is attached to a crappy little mall. They claim the rooms were recently renovated, but we tried two different rooms, and saw the inside of the Plaza Suite (which looks like a 1980's beach house rental) and I am not sure what was "renovated." The mirrors in the bathrooms have eerie fluorescent backlighting and the toilets look like they came from a public restroom in the train station across the street. All the rooms have weird little "Hobbitt Doors" behind the curtains, presumably for HVAC, but you might want to check behind yours to make sure something's not going to pop out in the middle of the night.
2. It's basically a convention center and the elevator will stop at every single floor to pick up people with name tags who look like they just walked off the set of NBC's "The Office." There is no reason to stay at this hotel if you are not attending a convention in the building or close by. I reiterate, if my company was not paying for the stay, I would have walked out.
3. The decor is super dated--again, not like any Westin I've ever been in--everything from the powder blue walls, heavy drapery, brass and tile elevators, and the tacky little "faux bistro" in the lobby. This had free breakfast for our group, which was fine, but again, "free" was the only reason we even set foot in the place.
4. As a final illustration of how bad this hotel is, and how much of a ripoff it would be to pay full price, the hotel was full of middle school girls in town for a volleyball tournament who basically treated the entire hotel like a giant playground. They were even given rooms on the SPG floor, which is usually reserved for business travelers. High school groups usually stay at a Holiday Inn Express or something comparable. So if the Westin is offering them a cheap enough rate to stay here, you can be sure that you're getting ripped off if you pay any more than $99 a night.
Bottom line, if you have to stay here for a business trip, you might as well put up with it. But if you're looking to visit KC, there are numerous other (less expensive) hotels that I am sure would be nicer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Our guests feedback is genuinely important to us and we sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent visit with us. If I can assist you in any way, please contact me directly 816-564-1434 and ask for Jeff.

Been to The Westin Crown Center? Share your experiences!