“Stained Covers, Dead Bug” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Stained Covers, Dead Bug”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

I stayed at this property recently with my son. We had 2 double beds-both of which had many stains on the comforters. When I moved the pillows on my bed; I also had what looked like a dead fly between two pillows. The carpeting had very dark spots as if there was grease or dirt on it. My son who had on white socks said "look at my socks". When I looked they were fairly dirty and this was just walking through the room and bathroom. To open curtains, I had to crawl over chairs. In the morning, I kept hearing doors closing loudly and loud voices. At 9:30 a.m., housekeeping was knocking on my door. I was a housekeeper myself years ago and always did the rooms that had been vacated first. I was checking out in a couple of hours anyway and would preferred to have not been bothered until then. I told housekeeping I would be checking out but not for a while. I was going to make some coffee, but the coffeemaker was fairly dusty, along with the hair dryer. The shower head didn't really aim the direction I would have liked and the makeup mirror didn't work. My son felt that the shower spray was too rough. Of course, it was not adjustable. The breakfast in the Brasserie Restaurant wasn't bad at 17.50 a person. The lobby was nice as was the ambiance. I would possibly stay here again, but at nearly $150 a night I would expect something much better!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty room, carpeting. Substandard.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Chester, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

I stayed at the Westin for two nights during a business trip. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly on the hotel:

The Good:
- Nice lobby
- Convenient location with a bus to the Plaza near by
- Large room on the 17th floor
- Huge window facing the dancing fountain; great music and fountain show every hour
- Heavenly bed
- Good water pressure in the shower

The Bad:
- I'm a Gold member with SPG and am typically automatically upgraded to a club level room. I was upgraded to the Preferred room here.
- Room was older with a dated bathroom that showed a lot of ware (stains in the toilet and tub and rust in the sink); not horrible, but definitely not a 4 star hotel
- No bathrobe which I was told is provided in all rooms
- I called "Service Express" and was moved to a different room

The Ugly:
- My new room was also tired and worn
- Hand towel had a hole that I could stick my thumb through; the bath mat was also torn, but things were looking up - I had a robe!
- Light stains in the tub and toilet again
- Toilet seat had yellow stains; I actually had to clean the seat (have never done that before in a hotel)
- Safe was locked by previous occupant; when I called "Service Express," the attendant forgot to report the problem; so it took another phone call and over an hour to open it
- Every time I called "Service Express" (about 5 times during my stay) I was placed on hold for 5 minutes or more
- I reported my room woes to the "travel events manager;" she was very nice, apologized, and said she reported my issues to the executive management team; it's been almost a week and no word from the executive management team

Bottom line: I've stayed in 40+ Sheraton properties (Four Points, Sheratons, Westins, Ws, and Luxury Collection) through out the US, Canada, and Europe and this is the worst Sheraton I've seen. I'd compare it to a low end Holiday Inn at best.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Old and dirty bathroom and poor customer service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Estes Park, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

Stayed on the 17th floor with a view of the city and Union Station. The city looked so pretty at night I hated to close the curtains. Clean room, comfortable bed. We enjoyed walking through the LINK to Union Station and over to the Hyatt. Ate supper at Bentons Chop House atop the Westin. WOW. What a great steak. They also have a terrific Sunday Brunch. (Tried the Brassiere Restaurant in the lobby, and wasn't impressed.) Crown Center could use a few new shops, but otherwise is an interesting place to walk around and shop. Enjoyed the new dancing waters fountain. It's not the Bellagio fountains, but still was fun to watch. The only weird thing about the hotel is when you come from the parking garage the elevator is the smallest one I've ever seen. It brings you up in a corner of the mall and you have to walk with your luggage about a half-a-block to the lobby. It wasn't very well marked, but we found the hotel anyway. A few low tread stairs to the spacious lobby. No escaltors necessary, you can use the guest elevators. The front counter staff was exceptionally nice.

• Liked — View, Location, Shopping, Dining
  • Disliked — Parking, Elevator from Parking Garage
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

I travel every week and stay in MANY hotels. This is the first review I have ever written. This is an awesome place for the family to visit. You have so much to do at this hotel. Union Station,IMAX, Science City, Hallmark, Mall etc.....

We stay there for a week every holiday season. KC is incredible during the holidays.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
Santa Barbara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

We booked the day before through AAA for $110 to be near the Amtrak station to catch an 8:00 AM train to Chicago the next morning. We arrived at the Westin at 4:30 in time to drop our rental car right on the premises. Very Convenient. The staff from the bell hop to the door man to the desk clerk were all courteous and helpful. The bell hop recommended the Hereford for dinner which was a short 3-4 block walk. We were glad we did. Excellent steakhouse. The bedding seemed new. The room was a corner room on the 15th floor. It was very spacious and tastefully decorated. Yes, the television is oddly situated near the head of the bed. Plenty of room to spread every thing out and relax. We had 2 balcony windows with views of city.

We were awakened at 5:00 AM by the loud blaring of rock music. A call to the desk confirmed the Good Morning America television show was being filmed live in the park right outside our hotel.

When it was time to catch the train we were able to use a covered walkway that links the train station to the hotel. A bellhop took our luggage on a cart for $7.

We had a pleasent stay here and would do it again. There was water on the floor near one of the balcony windows. I suspect someone left the window open and housekeeping missed it.

• Liked — Great city views and adjacent to the train station, bedding, nice complementary toiletries
  • Disliked — Water on the carpet near the balcony and breakfast isn't available until 6:30 AM not even coffee
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fenton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

The hotel is very nice and comfortable. Beds are like sleeping on a cloud. Ask for a room in the summer overlooking the fountain side of the hotel. During the summer they have free concerts and movies outside by the fountains. You can even enjoy them from your room. The pool is great, has a hot tub and lap swimming lane. The hotel is located in the crown center mall and there are some good places to eat and fun shopping without using your car. Be sure to get your parking validated in the hotel. It is a great place for a romantic getaway. We have stayed there 3 times already and can't wait to go again.

• Liked — comfortable beds, stocked wet bar, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

After a weekend road trip through small town Kansas and Missouri, my girlfriend and I decided to end the trip with two nights of luxury at the Westin Crown Center. We were not disappointed. The lobby is very nice, the check-in was a breeze and when we walked into our room (16th floor) and saw the fabulous city view we were blown away. Since I am an avid photographer and my girlfriend is an artist, we knew we were going to get some awesome shots and sketches and couldn't wait until nightfall and city lights. We turned our very comfortable chairs toward the wall of windows, opened the sliding glass doors, set up our cocktails and just chilled with the view. We called it our "live reality tv." Perfect!

We ordered room service breakfasts each morning which was delivered promptly and was very good. The concierge was very helpful in guiding us around the city after looking at our "things to see" list. Also, I had forgotten to bring my cell phone charger and they went way beyond the call of duty looking through a box of "left behind" chargers to find one that matched my phone.

Since we were a bit tired on the first night, we had dinner at the hotel in the Brasserie and the service was fantastic and the food was delicious.

They call their beds "Heavenly" and they are not exaggerating! We slept like...well...Angels :-)

The overall experience was 5-star for us and I will definitely be staying there on my next trip to KC. Next time, I hope to bring my hubby along because that city view is very romantic at night.

Thanks, Westin Crown Center!

• Liked — The View of the City
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing that we didn't like
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Westin Crown Center? Share your experiences!