“Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza

You added Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East 45th Street, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Four Points by Sheraton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Tampa, Florida
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Hotel staff was extraordinary. We came for the All-Star game and the atmosphere was so positive. Room was pet friendly and nice area to walk pups as it was quiet out back. Restuarant was good with very efficient wait staff.

Room Tip: Rough passage from lobby to hotel area on a steep rampt that must be an accommodation fro ADA but ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
GraceRays,
Thank you for your glowing review of our property- once again we have been successful in our mission to be a "Great Hotel that Guests Love". If your travels bring you back to Kansas City we hope to see you again!

Assistant Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stay here 2-5 times a year, 4-5 nights at a time, when visiting family in KC. The rooms are always clean and the beds are comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. As a frequent traveler for work, my complaints are tiny and nitpicky, but a few minor adjustments would help a great deal.

I would echo the complaint about the blackout shades not closing completely, and also that the TV remote doesn't work when you're sitting anywhere other than the bed, so you have to move a chair in order to watch TV while sitting up. And more outlets near the bed would be great. I use my phone as an alarm, so if it's about to die before I'm going to bed, I have to plug it in across the room to charge it overnight.

The food (I have eaten both in the restaurant and via room service) isn't great. It would also be nice to have some lighter choices (some steamed veggies and maybe a chicken noodle soup), rather than the standard heavier Midwestern fare. Also, since room service waitstaff are no longer allowed to place tables on beds, it would be nice to have a small table in the room. I always use the desk for my laptop, and had to quickly shove it out of the way when my order arrived.

There is a coffee maker in the room, but there are never enough condiment packages for me to make a decent cup of coffee, since there's only one sugar packet in each one. I end up buying sugar and creamer to keep in my room. Also, there is only coffee....some tea bags would be nice as well.

My biggest complaint would be the tight parking spaces in the parking garage. There are huge support columns that allow three parking slots in between, but if all slots are filled, you can barely get the car doors open. Usually the first person will park in the center, which then discourages anyone parking on either side. And the last time I was there I squeezed into a slot, but was so close to the next car that I pulled back out and readjusted, and then hit one of the posts on the other side, causing almost $3000 in damage to the rental car. (I know, if it were my own car it wouldn't have cost nearly as much.)

One great thing about the hotel is Brian the bartender. He works in the hotel bar and can whip up a drink with anything you're even remotely curious about, and has a story for almost every liquor there. You should go just for him!

So to sum it up, super clean, friendly hotel in a great location with minor inconveniences in the room and if you're great at parking and don't mind squeezing in and out of your car, it's well worth the money.

Room Tip: The single king rooms are slightly more expensive than the double queens, but will feel a lot larger...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Kim W,
We appreciate your repeat and continuing business with our hotel. Your feedback is very valuable to us and we are implementing some changes based on your feedback. We will be adding some lighter choices to our menus for our health conscious guests. Please know that we are happy to provide you with as many condiment packages and coffee packs as you like- please just call the front desk and they will bring them to your room.

Thank you again for your feedback- it is how we improve!

Jerseyville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at this hotel on a short get-away. Great location for the Country Club Plaza and the Westport area. Clean, comfortable, quiet room. We also liked the secure underground parking. But the 5 stars goes to the friendly professional staff. Everyone seemed genuine in trying to make our visit as pleasurable as possible. A great evening highlight were the visits with Simone in the hotel lounge. She served as our trip advisor to the Kansas City area and kept us laughing the whole time. Great Place. Recommended

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John G,
We are happy that you chose our property for your Kansas City get-away! Nothing makes our staff feel better than to hear the kind of praise you mention in your review! As I have said many times this is what we strive for: to make our guests feel like family and friends. Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendation!

Norton, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for a conference we were attending downtown. The rooms and facility was great, but we were especially impressed with the quality of all the staff. They were all very friendly, knowledgeable, and quick to help. The breakfast was very good although not free. However the free parking garage made up for that. I would definitely return to this motel when I return to Kansas City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Jerry,
Thank you for your glowing review of our hotel We feel that personal service is the key to our success. We want to connect with our guests and make you feel welcome here. I will share you comments with our staff as this is what they strive to hear.

We hope to see you again next year for the conference, if not sooner!

Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This older Holiday Inn property is conveniently located within walking distance of The Plaza (magically lit for the Christmas season) and its myriad shopping choices, the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art. There are also a host of good restaurants (Cafe Trio being the closest) just a block or so away. Beware: many sites are downhill, so be prepared for the uphill slog when returning! There is free and convenient underground parking here with separate elevators to the lobby level as well as guestroom floors.

I booked my stay on Hotwire, but Kevin, the eager-to-please front desk clerk, told me I could avail myself of several Priority Club perks even though I hadn't booked directly on the hotel's own website. I chose the 2 free breakfasts served in the dining room among the 3 different choices. The breakfast was fine as far as these things go: an abundant but unvarying selection and hot foods which are usually tepid at best.

The room was spacious and clean with a view over the center court patio and swimming pool. The king-sized bed was comfortable, the bathroom spic-'n'-span and the usual amenities were provided. There was a small, "sit-up-straight" easy chair in the corner next to a Leaning Tower of Pisa floor lamp. However, the television didn't rest on an extendable platform (it only turned), so using the remote from the easy chair itself was impossible. Why lodgings feel people only watch TV from their bed is beyond me. This problem was solved by moving the solid, tilting desk chair from its place to the bedside where remote contact could be made.

There was no easily accessible electrical outlet near the bed for my C-PAP machine, but my trusty extension cord saved me, although it meant unplugging one of the beside lamps to make the connection. The irony was that there was a 4-socket plug more or less hidden behind the 6' high TV cabinet/chest of drawers which had several spare outlets for no reason whatsoever. And moving that piece of furniture would have done no good as it would have meant extending my cord to a position which could easily have caused tripping in the middle of the night.
The closet was a recessed hole in the entryway with no door of any type. The alarm clock registered the incorrect time, defied being reset (by me, the techno-klutz), then the digital read-out disappeared altogether depending on which position one held the clock! I feel room clocks should be a normal item on housekeeping's checklist. Every one seems to be different and many defy logic as to their setting.

This property is a very reasonably priced option for this neighborhood full of culinary, cultural, and commercial attractions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SineNomine69,
We appreciate your review of our hotel. You mentioned our great location, in walking distance to KC's greatest attractions, but appartently you missed out on our complimentary shuttle service! All of our staff are prepared and "eager to please" to make you stay as enjoyable as possible. We certianly hope to see you the next time you come to Kansas City!

Omaha, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I had not stayed at a Holiday Inn in years, until Hotwire landed us here for a night just before Christmas.

My son wanted to attend his first NFL game, and my wife wanted to see the Country Club Plaza lit up for the holidays, and Holiday Inn at the Plaza accomplished those objectives.

Hotel is only about two blocks uphill from the Plaza, and it’s easy to walk there for anyone in reasonably good health.

Hotel is fairly large and spread out, built around a large outdoor pool and courtyard.

Our room was average and acceptable, except for one odd quirk. The blinds don’t close all the way, and only the “shears” will close to cover the whole window. As a result, the bright light in the neighboring parking lot shone through our window all night. I don’t sleep well in hotel rooms under the best of circumstances, and this did not help matters. I have never seen this problem in another hotel room.

Otherwise, everything was all right. The hotel remodeled fairly recently, and is reasonably up to date. It’s obviously a 1970’s vintage place, but with some updates.

Other reviews on Trip Advisor are vague about this, but there is no free breakfast unless you are part of the Holiday Inn frequent stay club. There is an average-looking restaurant near the lobby, and there are obviously many good restaurants nearby in the Plaza. I am cheap, so we brought breakfast with us.

Holiday Inn at the Plaza is certainly not the finest hotel in the Plaza, but it’s a perfectly fine, reasonably-priced place to stay. I found it to be better than many of the reviews here, and better than its relatively low ranking among KC hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south have a partial view of Country Club Plaza. Some rooms have courtyard view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Brewbaker,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Let me first apologize for the difficulty you had with the black-out blinds in your room. I have had our maintenance department fix this issue. Other than the blinds it sounds like you enjoyed your stay here. The hotel was built in the 1970's and was recently renovated as you stated. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you come to Kansas City!

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We spent 3 lovely nights in this Holiday Inn in December 2012. We were surprised as some of the other reviews did not rate it very well. We found the rooms clean, quiet and comfortable. The staff was wonderful and always willing to help us with directions or places to visit. The breakfast was hot and delicious and probably more than we really should have eaten. The underground parking that was included in our room rate was also a much welcomed perk. The rooms are not the most modern but certainly did the job on our short visit to KC. The hotel is well located across from the Plaza at Main and 45th. It was to far to walk in December but in warmer weather certainly could be negotiated. I would certainly stay here again. I will mention the large flock of crows that settles in around the building in the evening. You can hear them if you are on the top floor but they do settle in for the night. They make a good deal of noise at sun rise but did not bother our sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Plaza on an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
ntd 19,
We appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay. We appreciate you noting that you were pleasantly suprised after reading some other reviews. No matter what style of decor a hotel chooses it will not suit everyones idea of style. We offer friendly,courteous, clean, and comfortable lodging here and the Country Club Plaza and are the best value in the area! Whether it be our parking, shuttle, restaurant, or just a great place to stay in a great location we offer an excellent choice for almost any visitor.
You mentioned the flock of crows that settled in the large trees in the area. This is part of their annual migration and they usually only stay for a few days. It is quite the sight to see for that short period of time.
We hope that you will stay with us the next time you travel across the state!

Assistant Director of Sales

Been to Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza? Share your experiences!