“The 1970's are back” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kirkland
“The 1970's are back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Well it was not my choice, but the 70's are alive and well here. The atrium style lobby has a decent layout but it is so dated in style, and colors. Need a total refurb. Rooms are OK - they've been updated, plenty of room but beds are poor. Not up to other Hyatt's in standard.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here while attending a conference in Kansas City. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The pool was nice, clean, and relaxing. The hotel has many amenities including a fitness center, several restaurants, and gift shop. There is a business center but you must pay to use the computers. I was a little disappointed by that. The hotel also has a spinning rooftop restaurant called Skies. (must see) It offers great views of the city. Our room was on the 37th floor. The views were terrific. My only complaint is that the hotel isn't walking distance to the convention center and downtown area where the Hilton, Marriott, and other hotels are. It's a short cab ride or a very long walk. Overall, we had a nice relaxing stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Annandale, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. We were attending a WW I conference at the nearby WW I museum (fantastic place--everyone should visit there!!). We had not been to KC and it was a last minute trip, so I didn't have a lot of time to look into other hotels. We didn't want to stay way out in the suburbs because the conference began very early each morning and we wanted to be close to the site of the conference. We never stay at expensive hotels and now I remember why--you really get nothing for all that money. The only good thing I can say about this place is it was only minutes away from the WW I Museum (the conference was held at the museum, though, so no advantage to stay here except they had a shuttle to and from the confrence but we had rented a car so it did not matter). This hotel was recommended by the conference and we thought we were getting a good rate. I did look online before I booked and saw that AARP and government rates were a lot more, yet at $119 a night, I feel we overpaid. I did not look into other booking sites and should have. I think we could have saved a lot more money. The room was spotless, I have to say that--very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The walls were pretty thick so it was a quiet, good sleeping environment. Everything worked well in the room. There was a refrigerator and a safe in the room which was nice, but at that price, they should have one. Strange, but they had no phone book in the room. Also, they get a really limited selection of TV channels. You would expect more from a luxury hotel. I did not find the check-in people that friendly but they were adequate. You can get a free Wall Street Journal daily and free Sunday paper in the lobby area. We did not have time to check out the other facilities at the htoel because we were at the conference all day for two days. We were very disappointed that they did not have a free Internet business room (rates were $.54 per minute--unbelievable!). My husband did not bring his laptop and for some reason, his blackberry did not work anywhere in Kansas City (it worked fine before and worked fine in Independance) so we don't know why it would not work there, so that was not good that we could not access the Internet free. Nothing is free in this hotel except the newspapers. Parking was $14.50 which was a rip-off. I hate fo pay for parking. Had I read Trip Advisor before we went (my fault, but as I said it was a last minute trip), I would have found out there was free parking on weekends a block away, although that might have been far to carry all our bags. I will never stay in a "luxury" place again. You really get nothing for your money. We can get clean rooms at more moderate prices. I will certainly not stay in this 'rip-off' place again. I would only recommend it if you were traveling on business and your company was paying for it, but don't waste your own money because there are "no extras" at that price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

The hotel is in a great urban location - close to most notable downtown attractions. 5 minutes by car to anything worth seeing in the city. Rates were competitive for the area, including parking. What set the Hyatt apart from its competitors was the impeccable service and cleanliness throughout the property. We stayed the night of our wedding reception in downtown Kansas City. We had about 5 rooms with our group. The hotel was extremely gracious and worked hard to ensure that all of our rooms would be clean and ready for check-in early. The woman who completed our check-in was very courteous and genuinely pleasant. Upon learning that we were the bride and groom, she extended our check-out time to 2pm.

The room (a standard king) was nicely appointed with chic decor and plush linen. It was clean, spacious, and the bed was wonderful! The view was also nice - a picturesque skyline of Kansas City.

We ordered room service around 3am. They explained that room service was technically closed, but they did have some sandwiches which had been prepared earlier in the evening. They were still delicious and the service was excellent... a pleasant surprise at that hour. We ate the morning breakfast buffet, which was $15 per person and only mediocre... but to be expected at a hotel restaurant.

Check-out was simple and all of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We would definitely return to the Hyatt. It offered a central location, safe environment, and favorable accomodations without the upscale attitude.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed there on a couple of occasions.

As the title says, it's ok, but I would expect something more grom a Hyatt.

It has mini-swimming pool and a gym.. Normal breakfast..

Normal rooms. Via the 'tunnel' you can also go the mall next to it or to the Westin hotel.

As said, it's ok but don't expect anything more.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

For an older conference hotel, the Hyatt is not too bad. The rooms look like they have been recently renovated. The beds, linens and towels are fine. The bathroom was large. I didn't hear any room to room noise.

But there are several small problems that keep this from being a first class hotel. First there is the musty odor in the lobby. Then the key cards that don't work on the first, second, third try. I overheard someone else in the elevator saying she had to try her keycard several times before the light turned green and she was able to open her room door. The safe in my room did not work. The electrical sockets in the bathroom were old and the hairdryer plug kept falling out of the socket. It's not easy to hold the dryer with one hand and hold the plug in with the other! Also, the TV is not a flatscreen, which is no big deal just odd. All the hotels I stay in now have flat screens.

Also of note, there is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. No restaurants, no shops, no where to grab a coffee. The downtown area is about a 10 block walk, which is walkable, but not convenient for a quick cup of coffee or a sandwich.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Lincoln, NE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

The hotel staff was unfriendly and unwilling to work with us and our check-in situation. They seemed annoyed we booked on hotwire.com and got their swanky room on the cheap. The member of our party that booked the room was not there at check-in but called ahead to make sure we could check-in without her. They said we could since one of our names was on the reservation; however, we when we went to check-in they would not let us. The lady at the counter was rude and unwilling to help us find a solution. When our booking friend called the reservation line, they told her that we could check in with no issue, so we tried it again and were successful, but the original lady that helped us, completely ignored us. She also was unwilling to help me when I needed to but down a different credit-card number.

This hotel charges for parking and internet. There are several nice restaurants in the hotel, but all are overpriced. It is located next to Crown Center, but there is no convenient place to have breakfast, except for the hotels overpriced buffet.

The hotel offers great views of the city at night, but the rooms are not quiet and we could hear everything next door and in the hall way. We were even down the hall from the elevators, but could still hear them dinging.

We are not sure why this hotel was a 4-star. It was cheap to book, but we ended up paying more since we had to pay for parking and breakfast. We were not willing to pay daily for wireless internet. There was nothing convenient about this hotel other than its location.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. You are better off staying at a 3-star and getting free parking, breakfast, and wireless internet. The loss of one star will be a huge gain for your wallet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center? Share your experiences!