“decent location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri
“decent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

The Hyatt is just south of downtown KC, adjacent to Crown Center and Union Station by an enclosed walkway. What's really nice about staying here is that you can eat at any restaurant in Crown Center (there are a few) and you can charge it to the room. Several restaurants available in Crown Center, as well as a movie theatre and some shopping. Hotel itself is pretty nice for the price that you pay. Decent sized rooms, comfortable beds.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — pricey
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

938 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Monett, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

We spent one night at the Hyatt Crown Center and found it to be nothing impressive. The rooms are small, and you about need a step stool to get onto the nothing great "Grand Bed." The linens and pillows were nice. They don't use a fitted sheet though, so the bottom sheet does not stay on the bed. There is no coffee pot in the room. Of course, they want you go downstairs to the $4.00 a cup Starbucks!! The bathroom was very small, and nothing fancy. The room was very clean, but we did notice the hallways looked as if they hadn't been vacuumed in awhile. The worse part was the elevators, what a nightmare. This elevator goes to these floors, and this one goes to these floors, and then this one goes up the Skies restaurant on the top floor. Then to get to Skies from your room, you have to take the elevator down to lobby, and switch elevators, or you have to go up to the 28th floor, and switch elevators. After all of that switching, we made it to Skies, only to be told there was a 30 minute wait to go into the lounge to experience the beautiful view of KC. There was not a soul waiting in the entrance area, and we could see several open tables in the lounge, so I am not sure what that was all about!! The elevators were also very dirty, with a lot of garbage, and stuff spilled in them. Then there is the elevator to the pool area, which is not with the other elevators. It is all the way across the lobby, up an escalator and down the hall almost to the Link(that connects you with the Crown Center) in the strangest place, across from the Sports bar. You get in it, and there is an H, M, L, on the buttons, and that is it, no descriptions of what they are. So we push H for, I guess Health Club, you get off the elevator, and go up 1 1/2 flights of stairs, or you guessed it...another elevator. Then you use your key to get into a door, followed by a long hallway that leads to another door, into the fitness center, (which seemed to have nice equipment, but we didn't use it). Inside the fitness center is another door, that finally gets you to the pool, which is outside on the roof, and it is the ugliest pool area I have ever seen!! The sign on the door said the pool would be closed if the outside temperature was below 20 degrees. It was in the 60's and the water was so cold you couldn't stand to be in it...I can't imagine how it would have felt at 25 degrees. So we decided to swim under the little opening to go inside to the jacuzzi. What a joke, the jacuzzi is a concrete hole cut out of the floor. The water was luke warm, and it only had 2 jets!!! The windows that faced out to the pool were so filthy dirty that you couldn't even see out of them. Maybe that's by design, so you don't have to look at the ugly pool area. I would expect much better from a Hyatt. We got a deeply discounted rate, and I would have been very very disappointed if I had paid the full price of $150.00-$200.00 a night. We did not try any of the restaurants at the Hyatt. We went across the street to the Westin, where there is a wide variety of choices in the Crown Center shops. It is also a major ordeal to get from the parking garage to the lobby. The garage is really disgusting, and scary at night. The ceilings aren't finished off, and it looks like spray on insulation hanging down everywhere. All for the outrageous price of $13.50 a day to park your car!
On a positive note, the staff we encountered were all very friendly, and we only had to wait a few minutes to check in, and also to check out. They had kiosks there, for checking in/out, but we did not try those. I have stayed at the Westin across the street (connected by the Link) and I will definately choose it over the Hyatt in the future.

• Liked — I like the location, near Crown Center, and Union Station
  • Disliked — The pool area, the elevators, and the layout
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Union, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2007

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Crown Center Feb. 2-4, 2007. This hotel was excellent.
The lobby is very nice, very large, restaurants and Starbucks just a staircase or escalator ride away. Check in was complete in about 5 minutes. There is a bellman to take your luggage for your, a valet to park your car. Parking was $13.50 a day, but that was the average parking price in that area for the hotels I looked at online.

The room was great. Very clean, nice comfortable beds, lovely bedding with a lot of pillows. Nice bathroom, roomy. Huge desk, two chairs, two double beds. Check out my pics to see the room and our excellent view from the 29th floor.

The service was impeccable. They helped with everything. We ordered room service, just cocoa, cake, and milk, but it was all tasty (that cake was AMAZING!!!) and the server was fabulous. Any time we needed directions they were there with a smile. We got lost looking for a venue and the bellman was more than helpful with the directions, even though it was an obscure venue known for hardcore music. Late that night the front desk immediately listed for us 24 hour dining places, even a place that delivered.

The breakfast buffet was delicious. So many choices for $12.99 a person, half price for kids under 12...free for smaller kids. The service was incredible there as well...they took great care to please the kids, even though my 5-year-old was extremely cranky.

The hotel is connected via glass walkway to Crown Center Shopping which was very nice...plenty of dining options there from Einstein Bros. Bagels to the upscale Milano's. The walkway also connects all the way to the Union Station where Science City is located. We spend a whole day there. The hotel is so conveniently located we never had to move our car from the parking garage.

I can't wait to stay here again.

Stayed February 2007
CR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

At first the hotel was amazing. A beautiful chandeliar, great service. We stayed there as a couple with an ajoining room with another couple for 4 days. We were there to do some shopping and see the Chiefs play. The Sunday afternoon we left our hotel and went to the game. Upon our return we had intentions to change our attire and go and eat at the restaurant at the top of the Crown Plaza. I went into the bathroom and found a good sized cockroach crawling across the countertop. We called the main desk and they sent up a manager who agreed with us that indeed it was exactly that. His compensation to us was to offer the maintainance man to come and inspect our room and to move only me and my husband from our room to another. This did not include our friends in the ajoining room to also be moved. We spent another 20-30 minutes talking with the manager and received a room change for both couples and a 10% discount off the restaurant. I am not a person to ever complain much, but over the whole ordeal we could have saved $275.00 and stayed at the Super Eight without the infestation!

Stayed November 2005
arlington,texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

Great hotel......had a very fast check in. the room was decent size,very nice amenities,great bed ....was very pleased:)

Stayed November 2006
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency for 12 days and loved every minute.
Rooms are spacious and facilities adequate. Gym is a bit small, but the hospitality of the staff was excellent. The view out of my 30th floor window was good but the revolving skies resturant on the top floor was breathtaking, it takes a hour to complete a full circle. The hotel was situated in a quite part of down town, but the link walkway connected you to the Crown Plaza shops and Westin Hotel within 3 mins walk. Kansas itself is mainly deserted, but this hotel made up for lack of energy in the locality. Oak park mall and the plaza are good spots for shopping and things are very cheap in these areas.There are some nice resturants in the hotel and the lobby is set up nicely. Breakfast starts very in the morning and the buffet has a wide veriety. If i was on a business visit again i would definatly stay hear again. Top Hotel *******

• Liked — Hotel service and views
  • Disliked — Not many shops or people outside the vicinity of the hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit the Cheese cake factory in the Plaza, its to die for.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Springfield, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

My boyfriend and I spent two nights here on Sept 15 & 16 while going to a concert at Kemper Arena. I was really impressed with how nice the hotel was. The chandelier in the lobby is gorgeous. The hotel staff wasn't overly friendly, but I think that is because I am younger. I am a travel agent so I paid $69.50 per night, which is more than half off the RAC rate. I believe it was worth every penny. The beds were so extremely comfortable. I slept like a baby! I stayed on the 30th floor facing north, which is a great view. They were going to upgrade me to a Regency Club room, but they didn't have any available so they gave me access to the complimentary breakfast and hors d’oeuvres on the Regency Club level.

While I was there I ate at Skies. It is the best food and the view is spectacular! The presentation of the food was so nice. It is a very upscale place, and the service is great. It is very expensive but the experience is worth it.

The only complaint that I had is that I made our reservation almost 2 months in advance for a smoking room and they didn't have one available when I got there. (That was understandable since we got there 2 hours after checkin.) I then asked to switch rooms to a smoking room for the second night of our stay when we checked in and they made a note of it and told me to come down after checkout time. I went down there at 12:20pm and checkout is noon. They said they didn't have any available. So basically they were saving them or the entire smoking floor stayed those 2 nights in a row. They do only have 1 smoking floor, so they don't have that many, but it is a hassle to go down 30 floors to the parking garage to smoke. So if you smoke, they make it inconvienant for you to. Other than that little incident the service was good. I don't think that really matters in the rating of the hotel though. Just a heads up for smokers, but I think most hotels are that way now.

• Liked — The beds were comfortable and the view was great!
  • Tips/Secrets — Park in the crowne center parking garage on weekends, it's free.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center? Share your experiences!