“Fine - nice rooms and good view but appalling pool area.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
London, United Kingdom
“Fine - nice rooms and good view but appalling pool area.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here as a stop off point on our road trip in July of this year. We stayed in 12 hotels in total, all in the top 6/7 for each city, and this was one of the weaker ones in our opinion.

Although the room was fine we didn't get a great feel from the place. The receptionists were surprisingly cold and overly formal by comparison to the rest of the USA. Similarly, the valet men are polite and fairly chatty but take tips without thanking and simply stuff it into their pockets which I found rude. Perhaps we didn't tip enough!

The dining/entrance area is beautiful and makes the hotel feel luxury. The lift up to the rooms is extremely fast so you don't want to stay here if you feel nauseous from lifts! However, the higher rooms do have a nice view of the city. The room itself is fine and including Starbucks pouches is a very nice touch. However, the TV was hard to work (perhaps the remote was running out of battery) and the beds were small, creaky and too high off the floor. Breakfast was very expensive but of adequate quality.

Finally, the pool, which appears beautiful in any photos you will see, was appalling. So much so, that two of us refused to get in. Firstly, it's a very long walk and you need to get 3 lifts to get there from your room. Secondly, it's dirty with bits floating in it and it's completely unmanned. A far cry from the distance photos you see online!

Room Tip: Higher up with a view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
dan_saviola- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our new lobby renovations, making you feel warm and welcome. I sincerely apologize your stay was less than perfect due to the unsatisfactory service you received from our team as well as the disappointing experience you had at our pool. It is our goal as a Sheraton to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable, ensuring you have everything you need for the best stay possible. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams so we can ensure these issues to not occur in the future. We value your business and your feedback is very important to us, helping our team to create renewing experiences for our guests. We hope to have you back in the future to create a top notch, personable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Finnish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have been staying at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center for many years. The name has changed over the years, but the location is an excellent choice for any business professional looking for easy access to multiple attractions in Kansas City. There has been a recent remodel and it looks great! The service I receive is always excellent. No matter what time of day, I know that anything I need is only a phone call away to the front desk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Marcus H- I appreciate you taking your time to share your warm comments on your recent stay at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a great stay you had and that our staff consistently is friendly and accommodating, creating a top notch experience for you. Your loyalty means a lot to our team. We take great pride in being centrally located in Crown Center, surrounding many of the best attractions and dining in Kansas City and I am happy you are able to take full advantage of all the area has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton family in the future to create another relaxing, memorable stay.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Hotel is located in an area by the Crown center. You can also walk through the cat walk and walk to the power and light district.
The hotel lobby is huge a lot of room to walk around, sit and read if needed. There is a gift shop Plus an ATM. They have a coffee bar only opened for a few hours in the morning. The breakfast buffet was expensive and disappointing . In the bar the staff are very friendly. However, not many people there when we stayed.
The room was nice, clean and comfortable. They provide a refrigerator. However, it was empty. We did not have maid service for a few days and did not get compensated for it.
The pool was nice large indoor/outdoor, Towels and water provided.

Over all we enjoyed it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff went above and beyond to create a warm and welcoming experience for you. We are very fortunate to be centrally located in Crown Center, with many of Kansas City's most popular attractions and restaurants and I am happy you were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer at your convenience! It means a lot to our team that we were able to create a relaxing and comfortable stay for you and we look forward to having you back as our guest again in the future.
Trenton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is so frustrating to deal with. First of all, the weekend we went was VICA Contest (ALOT of teenagers everywhere). The pool was absolutely trashed! Towels everywhere, trash blowing into the pool, no clean towels, you name it. Then we went back to the hotel room where I was browsing for a comment card. I found one all right, coffee or blood stains and all. The next morning when I voiced my concerns, I received free parking. Then when I got home, I received my credit card statement to note that I was billed by Priceline the night of the stay, and the Sheraton a night later--we only stayed one night. The lady in accounting was horrible and obviously received zero training in customer service, but assured me I would receive my credit back. UMMM, Nope! She lied and I am still trying (unsuccessfully I might add) to get this resolved. I never write reviews, but this was more than anyone should have to deal with.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I sincerely apologize your stay was less than perfect regarding the frustrations you encountered with comment card in your room as well as your billing. It is our goal to create as welcoming and accommodating a stay as possible for our guests. Your experience is not what staying at a Sheraton should feel like. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams so we can further investigate where our team fell short. I hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood Hotels. We would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay with you. At your convenience please contact our Rooms Director, Shawn Duke at shawn.duke@starwoodhotels.com. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention as we take them very seriously.
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel was very clean and location is awesome! Price is also great! My wife and two boys and I loved the location near Crown Center and legoland/aquarium. We are already planning our next trip back to this area and this will definitely be where we will stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Colin D- I appreciate you taking your time to share your warm comments on your recent stay with us at Sheraton Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a great stay you had and that your family was able to enjoy all the great family oriented attractions in Crown Center! We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy it came as such a convenience for your family! We value your loyalty to Sheraton and cannot wait to continue to have you back to create memorable, energizing stays!
Timonium, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were booked for three days at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel. The room was large, clean and had a great view of the city. Slept like a baby on their bedding. There was a large convention there and you wouldn't not know it. Never waited in line for elevator or at the restaurants. A nice little mall is near enough that you just walk across the link, never have to go out of the hotel. We would stay here again. The only problem we had was paid parking for guests. A discount would be nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 15th. floor. Great view and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Maycille R- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your warm feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to relax in the comfort of your guest room, enjoying your nice sound sleep in our Sweet Sleeper beds. It is our goal as a Sheraton to create a convenient and personable stay for our guests and I am happy you were able to use our link covered walkway at your convenience to enjoy all the Crown Center area has to offer. We value your loyalty and look forward to having you back to create another top notch stay. Thank you again for sharing your comments.
West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Was in town for just a weekend for a little relaxation with my boyfriend. Hotel was amazing! Very impressed with the staff. The rooms were very comfortable and the view from our room was awesome. Loved the pool on the roof. Was very unique. The location was really convenient for any of the places we wanted to go. Especially loved the go green concept and that we were rewarded for participating, which we used in the hotel bar. We would definitely come back the next time we go to Kansas City.

Room Tip: We had a higher floor which was very quiet and the view was awesome.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea B- I apprecaite you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am very happy to hear what a great stay you had with us and that our staff was about to go above and beyond to create a relaxing and personable stay for you and your boyfriend. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center and it is great you were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer you as well and enjoy the amenities available to you as our guest. We look forward to having you back again in the future to create another memorable and refreshing stay.

Been to Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center? Share your experiences!