“a conference hotel in progress” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newark, Delaware
“a conference hotel in progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Sheraton Crown center is a large hotel that aims for conferences with a large space set aside for meeting rooms and large public spaces. Despite that, its ~40 floors are served by only one hotel restaurant, and one sports bar. Worse, the hotel restaurant closes at about 4PM and there are only a few local restaurants nearby. When I asked about local restaurants, one server told me that the hotel was in a corporate center, and it mostly closed up at 5. She was correct; there isn't a lot open at night, and cabs were also in short supply. The view from my room showed the hotel to be about a mile from the main downtown area.

The hotel charges for (very slow) wi-fi ($9.95 per 24 hours). I did not use the parking or the spa.
The business center consisted of 3 PCs and a printer. The computers are free for a brief use, such as printing a boarding pass.

The room I had (3222) was "dual purpose"; it could serve as a small conference room or as a hotel room. It had a conference table, conference room-style phone, electric window blinds, and was about double the size of a regular room, but its bed was a king-sized Murphy bed that could be retracted into the wall as needed. The room had a few other oddities: the shower was a walk-in, not the usual tub shower, but the shower curtain and the curtain rod were standard issue, so the curtain was too short for the shower, and bowed out, and, despite my best efforts, a lot of the shower water collected in the bathroom. Fortunately there was a drain there (this might have happened before?) . The room also backed to the set of elevators, and the sound of the elevators going to and fro was noticeable all day and a good portion of the night. For such a large room, there was a surprising amount of noise from the hall outside, too.

The room was clean, but there was something in the room that made me cough. The cough started the night I checked in and went away the day that I left. All in all, I would avoid the room were I to return.

The hotel restaurant (The Terrace) had very slow service the two times that I ate there. It took a long while to get seated, and then to get an menu order placed and to even get cream for coffee. There seemed to be too few servers. The food at the hotel was very unimpressive, not as good as what might be served at a low end chain restaurant, but costs were typical of a hotel restaurant. Room service was prompt and accurate, but the hotel adds 20% and a delivery charge to the bill and the server indicates that the charge is shared with the hotel, so there is an opportunity to add more.

Service at check in and check out was polite and helpful. In all cases, the hotel guests were very formal, and it was clear that they followed a policy to the letter.

I did not see problems associated with the renovations that the hotel said was ongoing.

If I visit Kansas City again, I would try to stay in a hotel closer to the center city, so that I could take advantage of other restaurants and amenities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
delawaredad- Thank you very much for taking your time to share you comments and concerns on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I apologize for the issues you encountered in your room as well as in the restaurants. I understand the frustrations with all the issues you had during your stay with us. I have shared the feedback you left with the appropriate teams to prevent these issues from occurring in the future. This is not what staying at a Sheraton should feel like. We do have our Spectator's Sports Bar in the hotel that stays open until 11:00pm to serve our guests for dinner. As part of our renovations, we recently opened up our Sheraton Link in the lobby. The Link provides several computers and printers for our guests to use at their leisure, as well as a warm, comfortable place to sit and relax. I am very pleased to hear our staff was accomodating. We strive to provide signature service to our guests. We truly value your business and hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood Hotels or Resorts. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you as our guest again. Check out our Club Lounge upgrade for the future. This includes breakfast in the morning, appetizers in the evening and internet in your room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My stay at the Sheraton was very good, and I was thoroughly impressed with almost everything. The service from the valet staff to the reservation agents was exemplary. The hotel was spotless and the room was excellent and very comfortable.

I have to point out one person in particular, however, for her outstanding service. On my way to the hotel I got in a terrible argument with a family member and I was extremely upset. I walked in just waiting to explode if anyone gave me any kind of attitude. I was met at checkin by the nicest, kindest, and most patient person I have ever met (aside from my own mother). Her name was Sharron and I do not know if she knew I was upset, but her upbeat attitude, kind demeanor, and endless patience really turned my bad day into an awesome evening. She was attentive to all my needs and went out of her way to make sure that I was 100% taken care of and satisfied. I have stayed in many hotels, and her customer service was the best I have ever experienced. When I checked out, she again made my day with her awesome attitude.

I would have rated my overall experience 5 stars, but the $16.99 breakfast buffet was so bad I had to subtract a star for it. It was no better than a $7 sunday brunch at Shoney's. The scrambled eggs tasted like they were poured out of a cardboard carton, the bacon tasted overly and artificially smoked, and the sausage links were extremely greasy. And there just was not the overall selection of food items that one would expect from a restaurant in this class of hotel.

The next time I visit KC area, I will definitely stay here again and hope that Sharron serves me again. I would rather go to McDonalds for breakfast than pay $16.99 for the inferior breakfast buffet, however.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
brown_boiler- Thank you very much for providing your positive feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear about the outstanding service our staff member provided you. The Sheraton genuinely believes in creating a warm, connected community for our guests, and it sounds like Sharron did just that. I have shared your kind words with our management so Sharron gets the recognition she deserves. I apologize for the issues you encountered with our Terrace restaurant. I have shared the feedback you left with the appropriate teams to prevent these issues from occurring in the future. The Sheraton takes great pride in our Sweet Sleeper beds and I am glad to hear you found it relaxing and comfortable. I hope the Sheraton was able to create a memorable experience for you and we look forward to you returning to our hotel in the near future. Check out our SeaLife and LegoLand packages on our website for a great deal next time. Again, thank you for sharing your kind comments.
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel used to be the Hyatt and Sheraton took over this year. I was worried about this change as I absolutely loved the Hyatt and they treated me very well as I stayed there often. To my surprise, Sheraton did a very good job with the transition. Even though the main lobby and the rooftop restaurant were closed down for remodeling, they made it a pleasant stay. I did not have any reward points built up with Sheraton, but they went ahead and upgraded me due to my status with the Hyatt and all the renovations that were going on.

I was sad to see that the rotating rooftop restaurant called Skies had been closed down, as well as the Peppercorn Duck Club. Those two places were staples for many people who lived in and visited KC. They told me they were making Skies into a lounge for guests to hangout in and they weren't sure yet what was going to replace Peppercorn Duck Club.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and love how convenient it is to the rest of KC. I look forward to going back when the renovation is complete. (It may be already)

Room Tip: The hotel faces downtown on one side and the war memorial/plaza on the other. I prefer the view of d...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
KUalum- Thank you very much for taking your time to provide your warm comments on your stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. It is great to hear you you had a pleasant stay and our staff was able to match your reward points. We value your loyalty to Starwood and are very excited to have you back to the Sheraton. Our renovations of the lobby and front drive are complete and everything looks great. What once was Skies is now our Club Lounge, which is also now open. When you come back to the Sheraton you can upgrade to Club Lounge access which will include breakfast in the mornings, appetizers at night and free internet, as well as provides you the great view of downtown Kansas City. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to you staying at our hotel in the near future. Please let us know what you think of our new renovations!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stay here in Sept 2012 for business conference. Rooms are updated and very clean. Pleanty of pillows. It drives me nuts when a hotel have only two pillows per bed. These beds had four per bed and the were very comfortable. Short walk to restaurants and Crown Center (Shopping Center). Plenty of conference rooms. Provided nice tables and chairs. Catered dinners and lunch were good. Hit up Panera each morning for breakfast, only a short walk. Have business center. Sports bar is nice but stops serving at 10pm.

Only complaint was i had to pay for internet service and it was slow.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Bwdearing- Thank you very much for providing your feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed our rooms and were able to take full advantage of our “Link” to the Crown Center shops and restaurants. We take great pride in being located in the Heart of Crown Center, walking distance from many fun attractions. I hope your conference went great, and I am glad you were able to enjoy our delicious catered dinner and we were able to accommodate you comfortably in our conference spaces. We offer a Social Hour at our sports bar on Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays with great deals on Wines rated 90+. Stop in and check it out next time you are at the Sheraton.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We were at a conference and stayed here for convenience. The experience was ok.

The good:
Rooms are comfortable
Location is decent
Most on staff helpful
Food was generally good
Check in:helpful in fixing a booking issue
Nice city view from room

The not so good
Expensive wifi
Checkout was fairly unpleasant . No one at desk but I heard them gossiping about coworkers in the back. Had to wander behind counter area and yell "hello" a few times before someone came out. The woman seemed disappointed that I interrupted gossip hour. Wifi was charged to bill despite being told it would not (as part of conference) so needed that corrected.
You can hear other guest's bathroom business through the walls.

• Stayed September 2012
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
PuertoGal- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your comments and concerns on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. I appreciate you pointing out the issues you encountered at check out. I apologize for the inconvenience you had and I have spoken with Cory Crook our Front Office Manager about the experience you had and he has sat down with the Front Desk staff to remind them of our Sheraton standards. It is great to hear you enjoyed your room with the downtown view and found our location convenient. We take great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center. If you could please call Cory Crook our Front Office Manager at your convenience, we would like to get more details on your check out experience (816) 398-4753. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were here during their construction phase and it eliminated any lobby or ambiance. That said, the staff did a great job of arranging travel for us down to the Country Club Plaza. The rooms were great so I assume that when the construction is over the place will be fantastic.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Ben Y- I appreciate you taking your time to provide your comments on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center. It is great to hear our staff was very accommodating in helping arrange transportation for you to the Country Club Plaza. I am glad you enjoyed our rooms and hope you found our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed warm and relaxing. Thank you so much for your positivity with our construction. It will be complete at the end of September. Come back and see us soon and let us know what you think about the final renovation of the lobby and front drive.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We booked at the Sheraton Crown Center because it was the closest available hotel to the event we were attending that wasn't super expensive. They are doing some renovation to the lobby so wasn't sure how the rooms would be but they were great! The room was spacious and the bed was extemely comfortable. Sleek stylish furnishings. We were on the 32nd floor with a fabulous view of downtown KC. The hotel is connected by a covered walkway to both the Westin Hotel and the Crown Center shops which was nice. We were there only one night so didn't try the restaurant as we had dinner and breakfast plans. I certainly would recommend this hotel if visiting KC as it is close to downtown, Westport, and the Plaza. The only disappointment was their shuttle service is limited to about 1 1/2 mile radius which might get you to downtown but did go to the Uptown where we were headed. All and all enjoyed our short stay and would certainly book this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
mfangm- Thank you so much for your warm, positive comments on your stay at the Sheraton Kansas City in Crown Center. One of the Sheraton’s signature amenities we take pride in is our Sweet Sleeper beds. We are so glad to hear you found our beds comfortable as well as our rooms spacious. It is so great you were put in a room with a view of downtown Kansas City. It is a great town, and there are lots of neat buildings to look at. It is nice to hear you were able to utilize our shuttle service to the Uptown Theater, it is a great amenity we offer. The renovation of our lobby will be finished at the end of September. Let me know what you think of the finished renovations of the lobby and front drive when you return. Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Been to Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center? Share your experiences!