“Great location to Sprint Center events!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Joplin, Missouri
“Great location to Sprint Center events!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed one night April 21 for the (Awesome!) Jimmy Buffett concert in town. From check in to check out, we found the friendly, smiling staff to be very efficient, polite, helpful, and the facility clean and well appointed.The elevators were fast. Our room 2722 was absolutely wonderful, clean and modern. The proximity to the Sprint Center and Power and Light district was a wonderful feature. Since the weather was pleasant, we chose to walk to (and from) the P&L district, although there were plenty of Taxis available. We didn't really explore all the hotel's amenities, but thought the location and the staff made it a great place to stay when in downtown Kansas City. Onsite parking is a plus and is very reasonable. The green space at the back and north of the facility made it much more friendly for our small dog (who thought SHE was the guest!) We'll be back!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window to the North if you want to see the power and light district.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Finnish first
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We arrived at 5pm (check-in is 3pm, please note). We were told that our rooms were not ready (we booked 2, paid in full, non-refundable). They weren't really sure when the rooms would be ready, OR if they would even be near each other, OR even on the same floor. The rooms were booked on the same reservation so after demanding that they be close to each other we were told it could be even longer to wait. When asked why the rooms weren't ready when check-in was 3pm, we were nonchalantly told that it was because they had a "big, late check out" as if it were no big deal. We had dinner reservations at 7pm so the thought of not knowing WHEN our room(s) would be ready was a little unsettling.

We ended up receiving some "hotel credit" to spend as we wish as consolation for our troubles. This was after being told that since our room(s) were paid for they could only give us free stuff instead of any type of refund or discount. That helped ease the frustration, but only temporarily. We decided to use our "credit" at the lovely bar inside the hotel where the service was absolutely terrible and they acted as though we were bothering them.

The next morning we had a bill charging ALL of the money that was spent at the bar ("hotel credits" were not showing or applied). Not only was it charged, but MORE than what we actually spent was charged!

So after the horrible check-in experience, we then had to correct the issues again at check-out because our room credits were not showing. Luckily they fixed it without much hassle, but the fact that it had to be brought to their attention was just icing on the cake.

Needless to say, we won't ever be staying at this overpriced, unfriendly hotel ever again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Maurizio O, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us. We were truly sorry to read your review since your experience does not reflect the tradition of luxury service we offer. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know in advance of your next stay with us, so that we can ensure that you experience the true values of our hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shearton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center.
Sseattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton KC because it adjoined the Crown Convention Center. This hotel was formally a Hyatt and still retains the look of a Hyatt. The hotel is a long way from the main downtown section of KC. Every place I needed to go was a $9-$10 taxi ride each way. The hotel's guest shuttle service is more limited than those distances. The copy center copier was out of toner during my entire stay. The front desk did not have a paper cutter I could use. They suggested the executive offices, but they were closed (9:30 am on a weekday). To get to the convention center, one has to go up to the 2nd floor of the hotel, go down a short hallway, and then go down approx. 15 steps to the level of the exhibit hall. Not a difficult walk if one has nothing heavy to carry. Being alone and having two heavy suitcases with our exhibit products and supplies and a banner to carry, I asked for help with getting my stuff to the exhibit hall. I was told that the charge for a bellman to assist me that short distance would be $20 one way. When I packed up 2 days later and had to get the same heavy 50+ pound suitcases back to the lobby of the hotel to catch my airport shuttle, I was told that I could not use the small elevator "cage" as it was only for persons with handicaps. Next time I will stay at a less expensive hotel that offers free internet service and breakfast and then take a taxi or rent a car to get to the convention center.

Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a former Hyatt that was recently rebranded and reurbished. Rooms have been upgraded and freshened, an improvement over their tired, former selves. This is a very large hotel that caters to conventions. The elevators can be annoyingly slow and look thier age. Front desk and lobby staff are pleasant, but still capable of assigning unmade rooms to guests. While the issue was rectified quickly, there was no apology for the inconvenience. Unless you have a convention to attend, this is not a particulalry convenient location or a hotel with any strong merits.

Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We spent one night Saturday April 21 as we were going to the Jimmy Buffet concert at Sprint Center which is within walking distance of the hotel (.9 mile) plus we did not want to party all night and try to drive home late. The hotel, which just became a Sheraton, was formerly a Hyatt Regency and had been for many years. Many of the original Hyatt signage is still up but that is to be understood. The lobby is still attractive and has been for a long time - however it is sobering when one recalls the tragedy that happened here when the skywalks collapsed, but I digress.

Our room was on the 36th floor and had a great view over the Crown Center complex and on over the Liberty Memorial. The room was very large, extremely clean, and well appointed, with room fridge, safe, large flat screen TV and king size bed. A very nice room and no complaints.

The hotel is part of the Crown Center complex and is connected to the shops and the Westin by a enclosed walkway. As part of the conversion all of the dining venues that Hyatt had, except for the lobby breakfast area and one bar were closed, including the rotating Skies on top of the hotel. There are several dining options in the Crown Center complex however. One can also take the short walk to the Power and Light District for a wide selection of eating and dining - which is what I would suggest.

Self parking is quite easy and costs $15 a day with unlimited in and out. Valet service is also available. All of the staff that we dealt with were pleasant and very polite and we had no complaints about the service, room, or hotel in general.

As the conversion progresses I am sure it will be even better. My only complaint and it is minor is that the gym was a bit lacking in workout equipment, but it did have a nice sauna and steam room in the men's locker room (I assume the ladies had the same).

Overall this is a nice hotel and will get better I am sure. We were quite happy with our stay.

Room Tip: High floors and a city view if possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here for a dance contest and got two adjoining rooms. The rooms are very good, large with the great Sheraton beds and pillows, and great views of downtown KC. Refrigerators in the room, which is very nice, The best thing about this hotel is the elevators - I hate to wait on elevators and these are fast, efficient elevators - maybe the best I have ever seen.
The worst thing about the hotel is the lack of decent restaurants - they have only one place to eat breakfast and lunch, and then the bar is the only place to eat dinner. The breakfast buffet is $16 and not very good. Hopefully, they will open a decent restaurant as time goes on because other than Crown Center there is nothing within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Nokomis, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I would NEVER recommend this hotel for any group. We are (unfortunately) still here. Our group traveled for a volleyball tournament and had a contract through THS for 6 double double rooms (THS is an event planning organization that arranges hotel reservations for the thousands of In addition, we had 5 parent rooms that were also supposed to be double double. Upon arriving at 8pm the day of our scheduled arrival, they had given all of our rooms away. Highlights of the ridiculous excuses included (these are from the front desk manager, Mr. [--]): they had to accommodate overflow guests from a different hotel over booking, and that we were not guaranteed double doubles under our contract. After having to give us a luxury suite, they still didn't have enough rooms for our group.mthen, after the third or fourth powwow in the back room, they decided to give us the hotel's show rooms. The next morning, another manager, superior to Mr. [--], named Mr. [--], called me to apologize for the gross idiotic behavior by his front desk manager. Among his apologies: we were guaranteed double doubles, and that Mr. [--] was completely incorrect about what happened and the details of our contract. I thought this would be the end of my troubles, but no. Then, after we got bak from playing on the night before our scheduled departure (also part of our contract), a girl in my group needed a new key. They refused to give them one because they had no i.d., but they are only 14 and 15 and under my supervision. After asking for a new key, the front desk clerk couldn't find the reservation. They had checked the girls OUT of the room and checked in a new random couple! There weren't any belongings in the room bc the girls had gotten ready in another room. THEN if that wasn't enough already, we had asked for a late check out. Three front desk clerks told me no and said that my group's late check outs had already been arranged and that we re not allowed any more according to Mr. [--]. I told them multiple times that my team's rooms weren't on the list, and they continued to say no and that I was wrong. Then out of the blue, Mr. [--], who I had the pleasure of dealing with again, said something very close to, "you never asked me for a late check out." I almost climbed over the counter. I cannot wait to leave. When I asked for a regional manager's contact information, Mr. [--] sneered and told me there was no one for me to call. He then snidely said, "I suppose you could call corporate."

In addition, our credit card was charged for over $1000 of incorrect charges, the only restaurant in the hotel open at night is mediocre, at best, there is trash everywhere on weekend nights in the lobby of the hotel (they even have tables set up for people to put their trash and empty glasses on and no one cleans it tfor hours), the bathtub in my room was stained with some sort of rust/abrasive, the hotel store closes at 9pm or so and there is no where to get anything you may have forgotten, the wireless Internet is expensive and has an inconsistent connection, and other than the few food places to eat in the Crown Center, which aren't open for many hours each day, there is nothing in walking distance to eat.

The management is clearly unorganized, dishonest, and has no accountability or communication with each other. Their reservation system, even with the support of a signed contract with an event planning agency, was unreliable and essentially worthless. Even after all of the trouble checking in, I watched numerous people check in later that night. Guess they magically found some more rooms.

Under NO circumstances would I recommend arranging any sort of group reservations with this hotel. Perhaps individual reservations do not encounter all the problems we did, but I have never been to a hotel that is so disorganized and has been so difficult and irresponsible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center? Share your experiences!