“Great rate during renovation!” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Springfield, Missouri
“Great rate during renovation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed there over New Year's Eve due to the proximity to Union Station. We had booked a very low rate due to their renovation that was happening as a result of the changeover from being a Hyatt property. The room was nice, but not fancy. I suspect the upgrade will make it what it used to be. The biggest gripe for us was no coffee maker. We were told they are on order.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of downtown KC.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Booked a room for $100 through Priceline. When we complained about the construction on the floor above us waking us up the front desk said there was nothing they could do about it since we booked through Priceline. I complained to Priceline - they called Rose and she said there wouldn't give a refund on the room.

If you have a problem at the hotel, don't talk to the short girl at the front desk - you'll be tempted to jump over the counter and choke her.

• Stayed December 2011
Cory C, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience during your stay with us. I apologize we did not do a good job of handling your complaint and let you leave without resolving the issue brought to our attention. Thanks again for your feedback.
Fontana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel was one of the nicest looking ones my husband and I found online, and it had good reviews. We stayed here because we were attending the kc chiefs Monday night football game on Halloween. The town shuts down around 8 or 9 (not used to that being from Cali). our room was on the 32nd floor I believe, with a great view of the city. Room was clean, and large. We had to request a coffee maker-which someone else had posted on here. Also we got the maintenance guy to unclog the shower drain in less than 10 min of calling. Also got free water bottles from room service when the vending machine took my money without giving me anything back. Staff was friendly and helpful. It would have been nice to have a free breKfast or at least some kind of discount for their restaurant or bar (which we didn't eat at). the hotel was pretty quiet and almost lonely. If I came to kc again I would stay here.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing downtown on a higher level. Elevators get u up there quickly.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This hotel is now a Sheraton - though I had stayed here about a year ago when it was a Hyatt. Not sure if there has been a recent change in management with the turnover of brands, or of it’s the same management and they know they're on the way out or what, but the service here is pretty bad. From the front desk to housekeeping they all need to be retrained in how to treat hotel guests.

Let me start by saying the property itself is in very good shape with a nice lobby and rooms that appear to be recently renovated. The location is awesome, connected to Crown Center & Union Station via skywalk. I always stay in Crown Center when in KC, so can't beat this location. For parking, on weekends, just park in the Crown Center garage for free....it’s actually got on-site 24 hr security and is literally next door. Arguably it’s closer than the hotel garage (which is $15 per day).

Now onto my complaints:
We called ahead to have a crib placed in our room....got to the hotel and no crib. They said it would be right up...an hour later and after many repeat calls and trips to the front desk and still no crib (and now past bed time). They also placed us in a room connecting to another right in the middle of the floor....usually I see good hotels (this happens all the time) place families with babies in tucked off corners where we won't bother everyone else with a crying baby (usually shows proactive management). Maybe they were full, either way this was the first hotel in a long time that has done this.

My other big compliant, and this is pushing it I know, but every hotel I've stayed in recently (and there have been a lot) always gives us free milk at night for our infant (3 ounces) when asked at the bar or restaurant. The Sheraton - charged us $5 for 3 ounces of milk for an infant :( I know everything shouldn't be free, but at hotels at this level they should be a bit more accommodating.

Overall, if you get this on Priceline like we have several times or going for business, its a nice property in a great location. Hopefully service improves when they get through their transition from Hyatt to Sheraton....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear about the poor service received during your recent stay with us. To clarify, the property changed management companies when it transitioned from a Hyatt to a Sheraton on December 1st. We have been working hard to ensure we are meeting the expectations of our guests as well as Sheraton standards and I am sorry we dropped the ball during your stay. I hope that you continue to be a loyal customer of this porperty and come back to see us in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

Got a great price on Priceline and had great service at the front desk and room service. There were two to-go coffee cups, but no coffee maker in the room. In fact, although the room was clean and decent, it was void of the extra amenities you expect in a hotel like this. It looked like there hasn't been much money sunk into renovations or upkeep of the hotel in general. There was old food in the fridge. And the hotel was like a ghost town in the restaurants and lobby. But there were a lot of children up and down the halls, seemingly without parental supervision. Most disappointing was the landmark Skies rotating bar/restaurant has been closed without any signs of reopening. This was the only rotating restaurant in the Kansas City area. Very sad.

Room Tip: Bring bottles of water. no coffee maker in the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. Over the next few months, we have extensive plans to update our property. This includes new electrical to support the addition of coffee makers in every guestroom, a brand new 2,100 square foot health club, and full plans to modernize both the lobby and front drive areas. Skies will not re-open as a restaurant, however it is being renovated as well and will become our Club Lounge when complete. We hope you come back and visit us to enjoy the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel.
Jonesville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt (Now the Sheraton) Dec 16-19, 2012. I booked a King size bed and was informed Breakfast was included. Got there to find out we had a room with 2 beds, no coffee maker, no breakfast and was very disappointed. I am very selective in what I book. I'm assuming they are 4 star because of their decor in the lobby areas and throughout the hotel. I will admit that it is beautiful! The young man who checked us in the first evening, told us that there were very few rooms with king size beds. I showed him my print out and he said, "that was interesting". He blamed it on the Sheraton taking over on Dec 1st and they were re-doing everything. We were tired and took what they had, The second day my husband went down to speak with them. This was a surprise trip that I booked for him for Christmas. He got nowhere either. They, then blamed Expedia. The 3rd time, they said I got what I booked but that was not true. They did offer a king size bed if we wanted to pay $50 more. That was hilarious. They were willing to do nothing to make up for all that was wrong. Word of advice, stick with a Hampton or Holiday Inn. They are not charging for the decor and you will have coffee in the mornings, breakfast and a king size bed. It is disappointing to pay for the best and get average! That said - we had a great trip to Kansas City - KC Chiefs beat the GB Packers, which was a real shocker but that is what we went for. We were able to walk everywhere we went except the game.

Room Tip: We found it was loud everywhere. Children were running through the halls and playing on the elevato...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cory C, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize you did not get the correct bed type and did not enjoy your stay with us. We have been working hard to make changes and improvements since transition and we hope you come back and give us another shot in the future. Thanks again for your feedback.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed one night had to pay $15 to park in the parking garage. If your paying $157 a night that should be free! We could of parked out in the street for free but being down town, no thanks! I had my kids with me. The rooms are no better then any other motel! The next day we went to the restaurant to eat breakfast and they had a buffet. The food was not that good for being $15 a plate. I've had better food on a free buffet in a holiday Inn!! And the waiter was really weird! Should of went to McDonald's it would of tasted better and would of been a lot cheaper! I was there for a convention and I will stay some where else next time!!

• Stayed November 2011
KyMoody, Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback regarding your recent visit. I sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. If you get a moment we would like to get more details from you. Please feel free to contact us any time. We look forward to speaking to you.

Been to Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center? Share your experiences!