“Good hotel, good stay...but a little disappointed!” 4 of 5 stars

WiFi, Breakfast and More
Ranked #23 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Champaign, Illinois
“Good hotel, good stay...but a little disappointed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed at Embassy Suites (not at this location) before and really like it. This one was fine but not quit up to par with like of the one in St. Charles, MO.

I checked in for a 3-day stay attending a conference and teaching. My room key did not work. Had to schlep the baggage from the 6th floor to get new keys. Guess what...one key only worked once and I got locked out. After repeating this dilemma for 6 times and putting up with an ambivalent older lady at the front desk who could not care any less, I requested perhaps another room as was late at night and I had driven 500 miles to get there.

No dice on another room, but she handed me to a very nice dynamite young lady (Cristina) who cared enough to call the maintenance and check out the lock, repair it, and issue new keys that worked. And for my trouble she gave me free wifi.

Otherwise all went well and no more problem but the living room TV remote was dead, which was replaced the second day. Room did not smell as fresh as other Embassy Suites I have been...but was not bad.

The Premium Suite coffee was a half empty selection of a few (mostly decaf which I do not care for) coffees and a couple of bag of Sweet N' Low, and a plastic cap (see picture). But by the next day it got service and was fine.

Conference room was fine, seating was nice and all were well, minus a very bad lunch (unchewable meat of some unknown source), and a practicing singer in an adjacent room that was preparing for a wedding that night. So we enjoyed a technical conference with a background wedding songs! The free breakfast was very good for a free breakfast.

It is not a bad hotel but can use some improvement.

Room Tip: I would prefer upper level rooms. Elevators were not too slow.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Danville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

There was a convention in town, and everyone else overlooked this hotel. How stupid could you be?! ... and thanks!!! I cannot believe that such a great hotel would be not be booked like many of the others, but some folks just don't know which rocks to turn over.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is exactly what you'd expect from an Embassy Suites hotel. No more, no less. If you like the exact same thing wherever you go, you will like this:

Friendly staff. Big room. Clean. Easy parking. Decent sheets. Vast interior. Thin coffee. Eggs made to order. Window that will not open in your room. Walls thin enough to hear your neighbor use the restroom or clear his throat. Front window onto the busy common walkway. Restaurant and bar open until 11. Most entrees (even fish) covered in gravy. Glass elevators. Fountain. Lots of tourists and conventioneers, etc. Same thing, every time, everywhere. It's exactly what you'd expect from an "Embassy Suites."

So, if you like these things and want to stay in what you know, stay here. If, however, you want to wake up and have fresh air in your room, or prefer not to hear your neighbor's kids whining through the walls, or (like me) just enjoy the notion of taking a risk to get some individuality in a hotel, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do you really want to give your money to a hotel chain?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Embassy Suites Kansas City - International Airport, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I respect the candor of your remarks. We strive to deliver a personalized experience for each of our guests, despite the Embassy Suites Brand requirements for consistency in many areas. Regrettably, we did not meet our objective to satisfy your desire for more individual attention. We are committed to the statisfaction of our guests. I hope you will give the Embassy Suites KCI another try, and give me a call while you're here. I would appreciate your personal viewpoint as it provides feedback that I need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to our operations.
Sterling Heights, MI, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The accommodations here are excellent. Hotel is always clean and well maintained, service is great, and staff is friendly and responsive. I know that I can check in here and not have to worry if the room is clean, if the wi-fi works, or if I'll have everything I need, as the staff here consistently delivers quality service again and again. I am in the area often, and always stay here.

Little Rock, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Embassy Suites are always a great place to stay. The Suites are roomy and clean. They allow family to sit back and relax together. We had our family reunion there and it felt like being in someone's home. We were so comfortable. I did wish that they had a better cable program because there wasn't much to see on tv, but we dd not stay in the rooms very long, only to sleep. We had a great stay and plenty of good food.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just spent three nights there. Nice accommodations, but I'm not going back. Nickel & diming: nightly $9.25 internet charge; both tv's in the suite were set up so input could not be changed, apparently (?) so tenants pay for highly promoted in-house VOD movies rather than watch own stuff via HDMI connection. Penny pinching: laughable happy hour spread; keeping expensive breakfast food items behind omelet counter and not on open food line counter. All this ruined the visit. So long Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: Cross the Interstate at the Drury Inn.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Embassy Suites Kansas City - International Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I respect your candor. We strive for personalized experience for each of our guests; as we actively look for ways to manage expenses and offer enhanced services for comfort and convenience. We are a for-profit enterprise, operating in a open market place, that supports jobs and quality of life. As a traveler from the Washington DC area, we value your perspective on our operation. I noticed that you were in the hotel for three days. It would have been refreshing to exchange viewpoints when your were at the hotel. That being the case, I hope you will give the Embassy Suites KCI another try, and give me a call while you're here. Because, I appreciate your review as it provides feedback that I need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to our offerings.
Minden, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

WE have a very large family and it's next to impossible to get a hotel room that we can all sleep comfortably so that is why we like to stay at the Embassy Suites type hotels. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated very well, the accommodations were very comfortable and we really enjoyed our stay here.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Been to Embassy Suites Kansas City - International Airport? Share your experiences!