“Worst guest service ever” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
WiFi, Breakfast and More
Ranked #25 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Worst guest service ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Let me start my review by stating we always stay within the Marriott hotels chain, however we were in KC over the weekend and decided to try Embassy Suites for the weekend. it has been many years since we have stayed with them but we pre-paid our rooms ahead of time saved about 24.00. We checked into KCI and upon check in we asked front desk staff if we could transfer Sunday's reservation from Overland Park Embassy to the KCI location, young gal consulted with manager and it was communicated to us by manager that we would have to have our keys reprogrammed in the morning.No problem ....WRONG ! I realize when we checked in the young gal was trying to accommodate our request,however when we brought our keys down Sunday AM we were told otherwise. We were told very rudely that this could not be done,and they did not have our reservation transferred from one hotel to the other. I ended up speaking with central reservations to straighten out the confusion. KCI should have told us that transfer could not be done,we would have been fine with that answer but because employees don't have full knowledge of their positions it created frustration to us.Very rude front desk that's all we can say,I have been in customer service industry for many years ,we had probably the most rudest guest service ever(Peggy). Also both hotels need work (updating) but I do want to acknowledge Overland Park Embassy staff very friendly appreciated their kindness during our stay. Would not recommend KCI airport location.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Embassy Suites Kansas City - International Airport, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your recent experience at our hotel. We seek continuous hospitality improvements based in part on both the criticisms and on the complements of our guests. In your situation, it was regretful that we were unable to change corporate policy in order to satisfy your request. Even more, I regret the manner in which this situation was handled. The communication was muddled by guest service personnel trying to meet your transfer request and the conditions you agreed to when you made your advance reservation. To have your reservation transferred to another hotel was not an issue; however, moving the pre-payment was an obstacle. There is no reason that this could not have been discussed with you in an amenable manner. I apologize that we were unable to clearly present the situation without affront. We have referred this interaction internally for property level associate training and reflection. We invite you to give us another try at the Embassy Suites KCI, we're confident that we can meet your expectations on the next go-round.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Olathe, Kansas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great weekend trip. It was wonderful that I was able to bring my small dog with me. The staff was courteous and helpful. Free breakfast and cocktails was great. Room was nice. Spa was nice and pool was nice. It seemed a little creepy that the people on the treadmills in the fitness center had a view into the pool area... but that's just me, I guess. Beds were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Several months ago I wrote a not so good review about this hotel. I have to kind of eat my words. I have spent 4 nights in this Embassy Suite during the huge snow storm that hit Kansas City this week. I have to tip my hat to the management and staff. They were fantastic under pressure and not the best of conditions. Like most of us, the staff was stranded in the hotel as well. Unable to go home to their families and not able to get relief from the next shift. They worked around the clock to be sure we the guest were taken care of. Wait staff working all three meals from 5 am till very late and back up and at it the next morning. A few names that come to mind that did a super job Donna, David and many more that worked very hard. When I checked in I meet a young lady named Peggy who was working the bell desk. She was so nice to help me with luggage, I have bad knees and the cold was just really causing me a lot of pain. She not only got my luggage but walked down and got me a couple of soda's and ice and came back to check to see if I was ok and see if I needed anything else. You just don't find that much any more. Thank you.
Bottom line when you find a staff that will work this hard for their hotel and the guest I think you have a winner. Yes I'm still not totally pleased with some of the new changes at the Embassy Suites for breakfast and Managers reception. But I put that aside and say for great service you will be happy here at the KCI Embassy.
Oh yes Derrick from maintenance staff who came up and help me with a heating issue. After fixing my problem he left only to come back a few minutes later with a soda for me as I had said I was going down and get one in a few minutes. He knew I had some knees problems was just helping WOW Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Embassy Suites Kansas City - International Airport, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Snowmageddeon - Thank you for taking the time to recognize the Embassy Suites KCI TEAM effort as well as a number of individual associate interactions during the record-breaking snow strom in Kansas City. We are very proud of our hotel team and their hospitality dedication. I am delighted that your experience was favorable despite the unfavorable weather conditions. We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon - come rain or shine!
kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had 5 rooms reserved for a family outing to KC. We had 3 kids and lots of adults. The embassy provided the pool and hot tub that everyone enjoyed. Free Cocktails in the evening and an AMAZING complimentary breakfast in the morning. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The beds were comfortable with a good variety of pillow textures. No complaints and it is nice that the checkout time was noon instead of the usual 10am-11am.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Indianola, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hotel was very accomadating. Catering Services and Ambassor Room were excellent for our size of party. All staff were professional, helpful and friendly. Overall hotel and rooms clean and modern. Beds were very comfortful. The lobby and resturant are very large and made family gathering easy while waiting to fly out. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great hotel, great manager's reception and breakfast. All of the rooms have been redone recently and are clean and fresh. Perfect accommodations for a single night or an all week stay. If you plan on spending any time in your living area, stay in an upper room if you don't want to hear the noise from the fountains.

Go get a drink from Dave @ the bar!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less fountain noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
kansas city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed a Saturday night in early Janaury. The service was great and the hotel was very clean and well kept. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful as were the bartender and staff at the nightly reception (which was very nice as well) Very pleased and would go back again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Kansas City - International Airport? Share your experiences!