“Do not stay here!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Phoenix, Arizona
“Do not stay here!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

My sister and I were arriving at the KC Airport very late because of some weather-related flight delays, and I asked my mom to find us a hotel room close to the airport. We drove up to this place, saw the front desk had a bullet-proof glass enclosure and decided not to stay here. We went inside to let the front desk person know, and she told us that the credit card used to reserve the room would be charged anyway. Aughh. We decided to stay and just get a few hours of sleep before we drove 2 1/2 hours home. The place is old, gross, and scary. The a/c unit in our room had not been turned on, and it was pretty hot. The carpet looked gross and the bathroom was tiny and the floor was badly stained. We reluctantly crawled into the beds, fully clothed to find out that the pillows were hard and lumpy and the mattress was rock hard. After unsuccessfully trying to fall asleep, we decided to just get up and drive home even though it was 3:30 in the morning. I would not recommend this place to anyone. It was a truly awful experience, and I was amazed that they could charge $57 for these accommodations.

• Stayed July 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kearney, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I'm a hotel desk clerk in Nebraska. We would never treat people in such a deplorable manner. Rudest man I've ever encountered in the service industry. And he's the owner! Why doesn't Choice Hotels step in here???? He's giving you a deplorable name.

Keys and air conditioning didn't work. One of our rooms had blood on the sheets. There wasn't anywhere else in town to go, or we would have. If I hadn't had students with me, I''d have preferred to sleep in my car.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
pella iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

First of all they hardly speak english. The main web site says free parking while you fly not so you pay to park. The rooms leave much to be desired and we waited for over an hour to be picked up on our return. Pay a little extra and have a decent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

We had to grab a room from somewhere after landing at KC after an exhausting 20 hour flight. The hotel was near the airport so we took it. That was our first mistake. The hotel is not near anything (except the airport), there are not any restaurants near by, and we didn't stay long enough in the morning to see what the breakfast would have been like.

The room card key didn't work at first so we had to wait (and wait and then wait some more) to get in. The room was small and hot and the air conditioner was so loud it couldn't be left on for the night.

At least I got some numbers for the taxi companies so that we could move on the next morning. If you are looking for a bed to sleep in at a fairly cheap price, this is your place. If you are looking for something more, don't go there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Camp Hill, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I guess I'm the only one who had a decent experience at this place. First off, if you're doing anything downtown in KC, this is not the ideal hotel, as it is located near the airport, and that is a good ways OUTSIDE of downtown KC. But if the airport is your destination, then it should suffice. My check-in was easy, as I had made an advance reservation, and the very friendly, flirty, and definitely busty front-desk girl gave me a hearty welcome as we made small talk. I half expected that she would "accompany" me to the room, but alas, she stayed put at her desk as I checked in. I was only there about 8 hours, if even that, as I crashed and then got up to get my flight out of KCI (or MCI, whatever odd abbreviation they use) the next morning.

The room was fine, it was a single but it had plenty of room. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and had all needed soaps and shampoos. I don't really know what people expect, honestly, it's called the ECONO Lodge, and it was just fine for me. The A/C worked very well, it was all electronic and kept the room a nice 65 degrees all that humid night. The room didn't smell like smoke, and the next morning, I didn't get the breakfast but got something on the way in to the airport. All in all, this place is just fine, I really don't know why people gripe when you only pay $45 a night for a place to stay. I have stayed in much worse places for the same price. All in all, it's just fine.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

This is a 1* rated hotel. The room rates are reflective of a 1* hotel. In my opinion, the property, rooms and service are 1* which is what I paid for. I stayed in this hotel for business because every other property in the area was sold out with the exception of the $250+ rates hotels like to publish when they are all but sold out. I am not at all high maintenance but I became a bit nervous after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. My experience was not nearly as bad as some of the reviews. No water/holes in the ceiling. No rude staff or owner. The carpet looks new. The furniture is very old. The sheets are very low quality but there were no stains. The in room a/c unit was very loud but I can sleep through a train wreck. Others would have a justifiable complaint. The breakfast IS a joke but it is what I would consider a 1* breakfast. Pastry, juice and coffee. All I had was the OJ and it tasted fine. Everything in the bathroom worked and it had soap, shampoo and conditioner. The owner at the front desk was on the phone for 5 minutes when I arrived for checkin but he was on the phone with IT to fix the reservations computer. He apologized twice during the call. He was not very organized or efficient but he was courteous. Definitely not rude. The free wireless internet worked great.

I think many of the reviewers for this hotel found a 'cheap' hotel but somehow expected it to end up being 4* so they could brag about the bargain they found. I would not personally recommend this hotel to someone since I think one must decide on their own to stay at a 1* hotel and have their own realistic expectations. If you do have the unfortunate experience of staying here instead of the Hilton or Embassy and you have a room facing the grassy area, look for the deer feeding in the evening.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge Airport Kansas City? Share your experiences!