“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 816 Hotel

You added 816 Hotel to your Saves list
816 Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 Westport Road, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Kansas City - Westport Plaza)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Rate
Call for Lowest Rates
Ranked #10 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Wife and I came in for Christmas holiday. We booked this hotel so we could be close to family. The location was great but the amenities made it. The free drinks at night and then the omelet at breakfast made it. We also used the free shuttle service once and we were sold.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Huntsville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our first stay at this hotel and we had a great time. Everyone who works there are polite, helpful, and it shows that they enjoy there job. They take real good care of you, from the people at check in, the bartender at the evening happy hour, to the wonderful lasy who fixes the best omelets to order at breakfast. The hotel is full of K.C. history,which is very interesting. Thank you everyone at the 816 for a wonderful stay.

Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I loved the friendliness and hospitality at 816 Hotel in Kansas City. Especially Melanie and Erin at the front desk did a great job and made us feel very welcome. You guys made my stay a very special and rememberable one!
It was a special honor to be the first guests in the TWA themed suite. The room is decorated with original fabric from the famous former airline and shows passion for details. There are navigation maps as lamp shades, the mini bar is an authentic TWA beverage trolley as they were used on bord. And bath room amenities are stored in a First Aid Kit.

My very first flight from Germany to the US as a 16 year old was a TWA flight.
I instantly loved flying and travelling the US. Later I became a flight attendant for a major European Airline. And now I got to stay in this very nice Hotel in a unique TWA Suite and visit the TWA Museum. What a thrilling experience, what a happy landing!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was in town for a medical procedure and got a nice rate from the folks at 816. I'm by no means wealthy or snobby, but I wasn't comfortable at this hotel. I'm ok with dated or "well-loved," but I'm not ok with dirty. The hotel just seemed dirty. We asked for a quiet room and we did get that, which was great. We got the "Roo" mascot room. It's cute, but 2 stadium folding chairs with plastic cushions instead of a sofa? Eh. There was also a basketball hoop in the room, but we didn't use it (the noise would probably bother the neighbors, and we thought it was a curious choice to put that in a hotel, but whatever). The carpet seemed worn, but it also seemed uncared for and dirty.

The bathroom was probably the worst part. The old tile was chipped, the sink was badly scratched, and the tub was stained grey all over the bottom. I don't know if that happens with age, but I've never seen it in another hotel. I didn't want to get in it. I put towels down on the floor to walk on in my bare feet whenever I was in the bathroom.

There was also debris and crumbs in the hallway near the elevator that never got cleaned up while we were there. Garbage cans were kind of dirty on the outside, etc. Just added to the "ick" factor.

The 816 is also in a downtwn type area. Hipsters, students.etc. There are fabulous restaurants nearby, and we hit McCoy's and had a great meal. But if you're used to a "suburban sprawl" experience with a generous, clean parking lot, this place might not be for you. They share parking with a popular bar next door, which is kind of a hassle.

The rate was great, the staff was super nice and helpful, no complaints about that. Maybe the business rooms are nicer. If they could clean up some important parts, they'd have a nice place!

Oak Grove, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We loved our experience in Westport. We checked in to late for the happy hour but it looked like the folks who made it had a blast. The decor is really cool there are murals of old Kansas City all over the walls and halls on every floor. Nothing real special about the room, but nothing to complain about either. It was clean and comfortable and we had a great view of the westport bottoms. We went over to the 39th street corridor for dinner and had some late night drinks at a local bar called fric and frac, pool and local flavor were great and the drinks are 2 for 1 after midnight at least they were that night :-) I recommend dinner right next door at the Flea market if you have never there it is one of KCs best burger values. Enjoy!!

Joplin, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I will do almost anything to not take an overnight trip. That is unless the trip is to Kansas City and I can get a reservation at the 816 Hotel. Yes there are some upgrades that could be done (bathrooms) yet the staff is second to none. When I return to KC it will be to the 816.

Room Tip: Ask for a theme room!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was in an area that I like however it was pretty run down. The tub was either worn or dirty. It is a pretty good price but nothing fancy. Had a morning breakfast but it was filled with people that acted like they had not eaten in months. Staff seemed friendly. Not sure if I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to 816 Hotel? Share your experiences!