“Dated is acceptable, dirty is not.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of 816 Hotel

You added 816 Hotel to your Saves list
816 Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 Westport Road, Kansas City, MO 64111 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Kansas City - Westport Plaza)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Rate
Call for Lowest Rates
Ranked #11 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Chicago, Illinois
“Dated is acceptable, dirty is not.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was in town for a medical procedure and got a nice rate from the folks at 816. I'm by no means wealthy or snobby, but I wasn't comfortable at this hotel. I'm ok with dated or "well-loved," but I'm not ok with dirty. The hotel just seemed dirty. We asked for a quiet room and we did get that, which was great. We got the "Roo" mascot room. It's cute, but 2 stadium folding chairs with plastic cushions instead of a sofa? Eh. There was also a basketball hoop in the room, but we didn't use it (the noise would probably bother the neighbors, and we thought it was a curious choice to put that in a hotel, but whatever). The carpet seemed worn, but it also seemed uncared for and dirty.

The bathroom was probably the worst part. The old tile was chipped, the sink was badly scratched, and the tub was stained grey all over the bottom. I don't know if that happens with age, but I've never seen it in another hotel. I didn't want to get in it. I put towels down on the floor to walk on in my bare feet whenever I was in the bathroom.

There was also debris and crumbs in the hallway near the elevator that never got cleaned up while we were there. Garbage cans were kind of dirty on the outside, etc. Just added to the "ick" factor.

The 816 is also in a downtwn type area. Hipsters, students.etc. There are fabulous restaurants nearby, and we hit McCoy's and had a great meal. But if you're used to a "suburban sprawl" experience with a generous, clean parking lot, this place might not be for you. They share parking with a popular bar next door, which is kind of a hassle.

The rate was great, the staff was super nice and helpful, no complaints about that. Maybe the business rooms are nicer. If they could clean up some important parts, they'd have a nice place!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Oak Grove, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We loved our experience in Westport. We checked in to late for the happy hour but it looked like the folks who made it had a blast. The decor is really cool there are murals of old Kansas City all over the walls and halls on every floor. Nothing real special about the room, but nothing to complain about either. It was clean and comfortable and we had a great view of the westport bottoms. We went over to the 39th street corridor for dinner and had some late night drinks at a local bar called fric and frac, pool and local flavor were great and the drinks are 2 for 1 after midnight at least they were that night :-) I recommend dinner right next door at the Flea market if you have never there it is one of KCs best burger values. Enjoy!!

Joplin, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I will do almost anything to not take an overnight trip. That is unless the trip is to Kansas City and I can get a reservation at the 816 Hotel. Yes there are some upgrades that could be done (bathrooms) yet the staff is second to none. When I return to KC it will be to the 816.

Room Tip: Ask for a theme room!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was in an area that I like however it was pretty run down. The tub was either worn or dirty. It is a pretty good price but nothing fancy. Had a morning breakfast but it was filled with people that acted like they had not eaten in months. Staff seemed friendly. Not sure if I would stay there again.

Avila Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I rate this hotel a 3-1/2 but can not see it as a 4.

I booked this hotel on line, but the hotel staff had to spend several minutes looking, before finding my reservation. According to the web-site, "Our Select Service hotel offers spacias rooms decorated with archived photos of Kansas City's history" yet my room with a king size bed had no photos of KC and the room was much smaller than represented on the website. It definitely was not "spacias" (spacious). It was however clean, yet dated and in need of a makeover. The bathroom was not designed to have two people in it at once, and the ceiling had old water stains and damage to it from a past upstairs leak.The web-site boasts that it has "in-room coffee from Kansas City's own Roasterie", that is not the case; unless Maxwell House is a Roasterie product.

I agree with the web-site in it does have exemplary customer service, out of 5 front desk staff all but one had an awesome attitude and made the place feel warm and friendly. There was a young white guy that had the personality of a rock, yet answered questions when asked. The rest were very user friendly and took care of business with a smile. I loved the fresh cookies every night and the free drinks were great as they have local beer from "Boulevard Brewing Company" on tap. (A very nice wheat beer.)

The made to order omelets in the morning and both ladies that made them were awesome and they host a very nice breakfast. The Hotel is very close to a lot of very cool things to do, based upon your needs of course. Close to a lot of walking distance local owned restaurants and some local small stores, but you defiantly need a navigation system in the car or on your phone to not get turned around. :-) For the price of the room ($130.00 a night), I am not sure I would go back, but would not have any reservations of staying there again if I had to. Again over all very nice staff, they make the hotel a better place.

One thing I found odd, was at check out they did not give a receipt for the stay, so I have had to wait to make sure they properly billed my credit card.

Room Tip: No advice as it was my first and only stay.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel did an outstanding job serving our group in early December. They reserved a space for the motorcoach and we had a wonderful welcome reception. They even reopened their bar area after we returned from the play in the evening so people could use any of their remaining drink tickets. Out-of-this-world omelets for breakfast the next morning.

Thanks again to the staff. We will be back!

Room Tip: This is a Kansas City themed hotel! Great concept!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

John the car driver was so helpful and kind. Great service and such wonderful people. Staying here really feels like staying at a good friend's house. The hotel may not be fancy, but it makes you feel cared for. This hotel made our trip to Kansas City amazing!

• Stayed December 2014

Been to 816 Hotel? Share your experiences!