“unfriendly, psychotic manager and his staff” 1 of 5 stars

Super 8 Kansas City Airport
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   11900 NW Plaza Circle, Kansas City, MO 64153   |
Ranked #68 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Austin, Texas
“unfriendly, psychotic manager and his staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

(Sunday, 09/25/2011)

My partner and I got in very, very late Saturday night\Sunday morning (I had checked in to the hotel on Friday evening for a weekend stay in KC).

At 9:00 am I had called the office and asked the manager about a later checkout than 11 am. He replied that I could check out by 12 pm without a surcharge.

At 11:00 the cleaning staff knocked on our door for cleaning service, EVEN THOUGH THE "DO NOT DISTURB" SIGN WAS ON THE DOOR NOB.

At 11:22 am the office called the room asking when I was coming to the office to check out. I told the office personnel that I will be checking out late, sometime early afternoon, and that I would pay the surcharge.

At 11:45 am the office called the room and said that I needed to come to the office NOW, so that they could charge my card the surcharge. I replied that I would take care of it when I checked out in the early after noon.

At 12:20 am the office called the room and requested when I was coming to the office to check out, to which I replied, soon!

At 12:45 am the office called the room and I simply picked up the receiver and hung up.

(This behavior was completely unnecessary harassment.)

At 1:20 pm I went to the desk and said that the repeated phone calls were simply uncalled for, to which the manager berated me for not coming to the office in a timely manner, at which point a heated argument ensued.

My family and I are heavy travelers and we have stayed in many dozens of hotels and I have never experienced anything like that. That was the poorest example of customer service I have ever seen,

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheila A, General Manager at Super 8 Kansas City Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. I am very sorry that your stay was not all it could be, but wanted to let you know this Super 8 has changed hands and managers. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
Sheila

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Joplin Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

The new Super 8 tag line is "Destination Super". Unfortunately, not all of the properties are up to that standard, including this one. This was our first stay at a Super 8 property. We were expecting more. Why do they build multi-floor motels without an elevator? There was something about the smell in the motel that was not clean and fresh. We had picked the motel because their website says "the Hotel Shuttle (to Kansas City International airport) is a free service offered". What the website doesn't say is that they charge you for parking ($4.50/day). We have stayed in other hotel/motels in this same area that provide free shuttle (AND parking). We won't stay here again. The shuttle van was filthy. No Internet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cathey's Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Had a flight canceled and this hotel was on the airport board near baggage claim for giving "distressed passenger fares". Little did we know the hotel would also be distressed. Airport shuttle service went well and the bed was comfy, that is the end of the good things. Now all the bad things. Breakfast, and I use that term loosely, was straight out of when continental breakfasts first began, skip it. Doors to the room and the bathroom didn't fit right and had to be jammed to close even at all. Carpet and furnishings were also out of ther 1970s. The shelf above the closet area had a layer of filth and dirt, most likely from the 1970s since it had been cleaned. When you shut off the bathroom facuet, the entire fixture moves about 3 inches! And to top it off an employee busted through the door in the morning without even knocking or asking if anyone was in the room. TV was ancient and was lucky to have 10 channels. This place might have had better days, maybe 20-30 years ago! Run away from this place, not towards it. Please don't stay here, you'll be sorry.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

The day I check in that hotel there is a picture of the horrible room stuck in my head. Use to be a Best Western but, seems to have changed their name. The rooms had mud on the carpet and mold in the bathroom. During checking out in the morning there was a indian (india) on sofa with a blanket around him telling me to leave the key on the desk. I would of hoped to see the clerk actually taking my room key not some random indian person.

• Stayed January 2011
Kansas city, mo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Hateful staff...seemed annoyed with any sort of customer service!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Milwaukee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

$59 for a 3 star rating on Orbitz.com. Seemed resaonable. I checked out 2 minutes after opening the door to my room. In short, this place is a dump! On the shuttle drive in I noticed the exterior of the building was in terrible shape - one side of building looked like a porch scene out of "Deliverance" with old chairs, tables and trash. In addition I was surprised by the exterior entrance doors. The lobby was a mess as it doubles as the laundry room (directly behing the front desk). Got my key and went to my room on ground level. I was welcomed by an old toilet sitting outside my front door. No kidding! Room itself was what you'd expect from a dilapidated motor lodge - sagging mattress, no amenities, 27 inch tube and 70's decor. Did not wait around to examine the bathroom. I was outta there!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Manhattan, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

We stayed here upon returning from a flight from Europe. Since we knew our flight would get in late, we decided to just spend the night rather than try to drive home. This hotel has a park and fly rate so we parked our car, paid the extremely reasonable fee, and rode the hotel shuttle to the airport. Upon our return to the airport, 10 days later, we used the hotel phone located in the baggage area to call the shuttle. It came very promptly, picked us up, and whisked us away to the close-by hotel. Check-in was speedy and pleasant - a real boon to us as we were exhausted and severely jet-legged. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a king-size non-smoking room. The room was older but clean and upgrades had been made. The continental breakfast the next morning was delightful. In addition to the usual light fare, there were also biscuits and gravy and even hard-boiled eggs. The staff members we dealt with were very courteous and pleasant. We plan on staying here anytime we need to a place to stay close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Kansas City Airport? Share your experiences!