“Pleasant experience for an unpleasant reason” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
All bundled up
Ranked #43 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Greeley, Kansas
“Pleasant experience for an unpleasant reason”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We chose to stay in this hotel for two reasons: 1) it was close to the hospital, and 2) we are Hilton members. We found the staff members to be very friendly and helpful, as was the shuttle driver, the valets, and the room service person. We wanted to be close to the hospital b/c my husband was having surgery and I didn't want to have to drive. The shuttle was very convenient. I also appreciated that the hotel was going to let me keep my car there after checkout time if it didn't coincide with my husband's release time. The complimentary breakfast was very good, but as it was the start of the basketball tourny, many people were there at the same time to eat. The lines did move slow, but the people were friendly. We stood in one line, unaware that there were actually 2 lines until we got much closer to the front. We were also surprised that our room was definitely showing its age. For example, there was unrepaired water damage on the wall, and the wood around the outside door was rotten. For the price of the room, we expected nicer. We would also have liked a little larger bathroom. I also had a good experience with room service in all aspects. It would have also been nice if the hotel had an agreement with the hospital on the room price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello Shanna

First of all we hope your husband is doing well and that his surgery was successful. Thank you for a detailed review of your stay with us. I apologize for the water pressure issue and please note that this was discussed with our engineering staff. The time of your stay was during a busy period and I apologize that the breakfast staff did not direct or inform you of the lines for breakfast. Thanks again for your comments and also for your patronage of our Hotels as a Hhonors member.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I chose this hotel due to location since it was close to my client appointments and it offered a complimentary breakfast. I left extremely disappointed and did speak with the manager about my experience. When I checked in early the room was not ready on the elite level floors so i waited and returned to stay in one of these "elite" rooms. The lady at the front desk explained the difference is they put a little extra love and care into these rooms for the elite guests.

Yes, the room was clean, the linens were fresh but as a gold elite business traveler, i have two priorities.....get a good night sleep and eat a good breakfast.

Maintenance was in my room not once, but twice to "fix" a rattling air/heat vent and it did not get fixed. Unfortunately having this happen between the hours of 9:30-11:30pm didn't help the situation. The maintenance technician was extremely nice but the problem didn't get resolved. It woke me throughout the night and I did not wake rested at all. When I ventured down to have breakfast, it was full of families with lots of kids and lines were not moving. I ended up with a small styrofoam cup for TO-GO coffee and a slice of pound cake. I am a mom and love being able to travel with my child but management should have taken occupancy into consideration to make sure that the breakfast line moved. No need to stand in line for almost ten minutes for a made to order breakfast and give up to make sure I wasn't late to an appointment.

The manager (the second time i saw him) offered up points but no specific amount and i had to ask for his card since he never provided his name during the first conversation.

Room Tip: 11 and 12 are the "elite" floors
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed one night on a very very busy weekend for the hotel. The staff was on their A game. The night manager Victor was very courteous and paid for a cab for us when the hotel shuttle was not available to take us to our dinner location. Breakfast the next morning was a zoo but the staff made sure everything was replenished and the dining manager was professional and very entertaining for the young kids. The only issue with our stay was that our room was right under a very loud HVAC unit that turned on at midnight and shook the walls. We will definitely stay there again - I will just ask not to stay in the same room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Good afternoon Dawn B

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with the guest's of Trip advisor. i was delighted to see Victor staepping up to make the issue with the shuttle transportation right. Thanks for the positive words about the staff's performance during a busy period which I will share with them. Again thank you you for your kind words and for your patronage and I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City
Hesston, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed here two nights towards the end of spring break (as did a whole bunch of other people!). We always try to stay at Embassy Suites and had been to this one before. The staff is wonderful under all situations. This seemed to be a really busy weekend for them. There were multiple bachelorette and birthday parties, at least one wedding, and it was also the beginning of March Madness.
The hotel itself is showing it's age, and I agree that this is the same across the nation. Time for some renovation, but with crowds like this popular location experiences, I don't know how they will do it!
Clearly the entire hotel took advantage of their free drinks in the evening, sometimes leading to a long line. However, the bartender(s) always stayed cool. There were A LOT of families there this weekend and the pool was always full. Could have used a little more attention to keeping the cups (from happy hour, I presume) picked up, but the pool itself was clean and towels were aplenty. I wondered how the "adult swim" at 10pm would be addressed and was pleasantly surprised when a manager very politely entered the pool area shortly before 10 and visited with all of the families and kids to tell them about adult swim. Knowing this is enforced, I might actually take a suit next time and take advantage of that!
Check in was uneventful. We had hoped for a Double room, but our fault for making reservations so late. We ended up in a king suite (the last available room we were told). Luckily it was in a corner far from the elevator. Fortunately a king bed holds us and our youngest daughter, leaving our teenager to the pull out couch.
The only thing I would wish for is more elevators. I don't know why they try to get away with 3 elevators (although I'm also amazed that they all keep functioning so well). At checkout, my daughter and I gave up waiting and found the nearest set of stairs and hiked it down 6 floors. We were a bit surprised (as were the employees!!) when we popped out in what appeared to be a small food service area (clean up, not food prep). We apologized and charged on through with our bags etc and the staff just laughed and repeatedly thanked up for staying with them!
Overall, a solid performance by Embassy Suites which is why we choose to stay there

Stayed March 2014
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Good afternoon Dvaldez

Thanks for staying at with us and sending Trip Advisor your comments on your stay. Both are appreciated. I was happy to read you had a great experience at the hotel and that the staff did a great job of taking care of you during your visit. I apologize for the challenges encountered during our full house and was happy to see how you cheerfully handled them. We have a great hotel with great staff in a great location. We appreciate your business at our hotel as well as our other hotels in our brand.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great location to visit the plaza and close to good restaurants (Chuy's! - try the creamy jalapeno dip and perfect marg. - you won't be sorry). The pool/hot tub is open til midnight and the free breakfast makes for an easy morning before a day of fun. This is also just down the street from the greatest little boutique spa (Element Wellness) ...ahhh...a life changing massage from Roxana...and a lil' "refresh" w/ the dr. (I can't give away all my secrets)....made for a very relaxing girls trip. Mission accomplished. I will be back very soon KC!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Good afternoon Jen M

Thank You for sharing your secrets of your stay with us during your recent trip To Kansas City & the Country Club Plaza. I was happy that you were able to accomplish your mission and hopefully your future travels will bring you back to us for a future visit and mission. Thanks again for your comments and also for your continued patronage of our Hotel

Danville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I would highly recommend this propety. The staff is very customer focused and cannot do enough to help you. Location is great and on site dining is a plus if you are not wanting to go out. Full service breakfast is excellent and its free!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Good morning Cody M

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay with the readers of Trip Advisor. I was happy to see that you took advantage of and enjoyed the several amenities we have to offer our guests. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you return to our hotel on your next trip to Kansas City.

Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

First time visitor to this Embassy location, just down the street from Country Club Plaza. The staff was great, the location is great, but the building is showing a lot of age. It is very typical of ES I see across the country, it is time for a remodel. Don't plan on using the pull-out as a sleeping option, they are never good at Embassy's. The breakfast is always good and the free drinks in the evening are a nice perk.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza? Share your experiences!