“Great staff. Wanted to like this place more...but cost cutting is evident everywhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza

$50 Gift Card to Shop
Ranked #35 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I really wanted to give this place a better review but it was tough to do so. The manager was a great guy and I kind of felt bad for him for having a challenging property do work with. The staff was mainly nice and I definitely felt like a valued guest. The hotel looks impressive from outside and even when entering. But a deeper look at the place shows cost cutting everywhere--low quality brand flat screen TVs in the rooms, low quality tissues and toilet paper, weak water pressure (at least on the 12th floor, the highest), off-brand condiments at breakfast, tiny pool towels that look as if they were bought used from a low-end gym, a sauna that was barely warm, a non-working steam room with no sign to say it was out of order, and weak drinks during the free manager's reception. Looking down from floor 12 through the atrium and you can see how dirty the hallway carpets are. I have never seen such chaos at an Embassy suites during breakfast---long lines, employees running around with dirty trays as if we were in a school cafeteria, a juice machine with broken ports and always out of juice--in general, things I have seen automated for high traffic at other Embassy's were not in place here. And seeing how the scrambled eggs are made while waiting for an omelet made me lose my appetite. Even worse are the mouse traps in the garden area in the breakfast room. They are black boxes with round holes, so not all that obvious to most--but thy are there--at least hide them well. The bathroom shower area is miniscule and in the bedroom--it most Embassy suites it is in the living room where it belongs, especially if you are sharing the room. The shuttle van is very, very old and was usable most of the time, though beware if you want it at 7am when it is supposed to start running as it isn't always available then. As is to be expected with a shared shuttle, sometimes it is fast someones it is not. The drivers were always nice and explained their route well. Given the location of the hotel--not quite close enough to anything and on the border of a bad neighborhood--the hotel has to offer one. The perks: pool is nice, gym fantastic if not a bit small for the size of the hotel, beds are comfy, pillows good, rooms large.

I might stay here again for the right price as the pool is amazing and warm enough to make it pleasant in the winter. But for the price I paid on this trip I would probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear JMW757677

Thank you for your kind words about the managers and front office staff. I apologize that the van was not readily available in the morning and have transported guests myself when they needed to be at a meeting at a certain time. We keep our van within a two mile limit but trips to the two mile boundary due give us some challenges in transporting other guests in a timely manner. I can assure that the hallway carpets are cleaned on a rotating basis and were just done the week before your visit. The Pool towels were not purchased from a gym but were in plentiful supply for our guests. I will follow up on the dry sauna and steam room and I apologize for them not being up to your standard. I will also review your comments with the Breakfast managers and the Food & Beverage Director. Again I apologize for the issues you found with your stay and thank you for staying with us.

536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Parrish, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My sisters, nieces and I have been taking annual "sisters" trip for 6 years. This year we decided on the Lady Gaga concert in February. I was responsible for booking the hotel. I only had 2 requirements - adjoining rooms and a shuttle to the Sprint Center. I had called the reservation center then was told I was being transferred to the Kansas City Plaza staff. I was assured multiple times adjoining rooms would be available but only on a 1st come 1st served basis. I mentioned we wanted a shuttle to take us to the Sprint Center. The woman I was speaking to told me only one truth-the shuttle quit running at 10 or 10:30. We arrived to find a nice enough reception area/courtyard. I asked if we were early enough for adjoining rooms and was told there were no adjoining rooms, UGH!! I was told the shuttle bus did not go to the Sprint Center. After getting settled in our rooms the manager sent up baskets with ONE candy bar, ONE tiny bag of Cheese-It's & TWO bottles of water for each room. That would have been nice if there had been 2 people in each room but there were 4 in each room. He/she must have thought we were going to cut the candy bar into 4 pieces, count out the Cheese-Its and split 2 bottles of water???oh, also he offered us free movie tickets to watch while we were gone to see the concert. After the concert we went to the beautiful pool area where the towels were not much larger than a hand towel. We could not get the hot tub to work. We asked the person at the desk if someone could come check it out and were told she would send maintenance in soon to check it out. Surprise - no one ever came to check out the hot tub. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Good Afternoon Ms Donna H.
I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay with us. We reviewed your reservation and are certain that the call was never transferred to us at the Hotel. The adjoining/connecting suites, and the convention/concert shuttle service are basic questions that staff are trained to respond to. We keep our shuttle service to a 2 mile radius to be able to transport guests in a timely manner. The Sprint center is located 4 miles away and out of our range as is the Power & Light district next door to it. I apologize that you did not care for the snacks and movie certificates. You did not mention this when we made adjustments to each of your suites. I apologize that there was no follow up to your request about the whirlpool. I have spoken to our staff about this both the night before and the day of your departure. Again, I apologize for these issues and am not washing my hands of it but will speak to our central reservation staff as these critical issues could have been avoided if you were simply transferred to our hotel to clarify these important needs of your stay with us.
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is a hard review to write for me. There were good things and fun staff but the poor management over shadows those good people. Then maybe my expectations of the Embassy chain and the perks I have come to expect is going downhill fast at many of them but gone at this Embassy Suites. Let me explain and you can decide. we are Diamond members with Hilton and with that you hope to find a feeling of conformity and what to expect as you travel the different Hilton chains. One reason we pick Embassy Suites is the room comfort and the Managers special reception, the better breakfast and late checkout because of my diamond statues.
Well forget those things at this hotel. The room is old furniture is old and needs updating. It was clean but that's about it. The bathroom and shower are a JOKE. You walk in and back out, very much needs updating. Housekeeping needs some help also can't seem to get to your room. Now the Managers reception which is why many of us pick this chain,be honest, free drinks and snacks is a nice perk. What a letdown, you must have tickets to get your drinks, that's just nuts, I can understand showing your room key when you walk in but having to turn in a ticket for each drink, makes me feel like I'm at a street fair and the pour was so small it didn't even color my water. The snack, stale chips with a thin salsa kind of like flavored water. What happened to a few veggie's and dip or cheese and crackers. When I'm paying probably $30 more to stay at the Embassy I expect a little more from the reasons I pick it. Our second night we just went to the real bar and paid for drinks at least you got a good drink. Breakfast was ok but cold, nothing was hot, but I understand keep those trays hot is hard, the cook to order was good if you had time for that.
Now one of the perks of being Diamond with Hilton is late checkout. This manager completely disregards this perk so don't bother to ask. My wife had a conference down the street and was not finished till 4pm so I ask for late checkout till 2 pm so I wouldn't have to sit around the lobby for 4 hours. When I ask the front desk person that morning for a couple of extra hours in my room he told me he had been told by the manager under no circumstance was he to approve any late checkout. I told him I was Diamond and he said sorry can't help you. Please understand I didn't get maid service till after 5 pm the day before so if I left my room at 2 they would still have plenty of time to clean the room, even if they were fully booked. I checked out out noon loaded my car and came back in to have lunch and just hang till 4pm. The manager was at the front desk and ask how my stay was so I told him about my request. He yabba yabba for a minute or two and says oh I would give you a couple more hours. I said I have already checkout your to late. Bottom line I feel he doesn't care about the Hilton customer who choices the Hilton family over many others available. I won't be back. For those of you in the KC downtown area and looking for a nice place to stay. There is a Hampton Inn and Suites right behind the Embassy and you will still get a suite at a much better price. I know no free drinks but trust me you are not missing much at the Embassy.
I have to say that Becky and Bob in the restaurant are great and Casey the bartender in the regular bar is super. He pours a very good drink. The bell guys that get your car and handle your luggage SUPER guys. Sadly Good people but poor management will make this a don't stay find better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Good evening Glen S

I apologize for the several challenges you outlined in your survey concerning you stay with us last week. I was the manager you spoke to and I apologize if you felt I had no concern for our Honors members. I had just come on board and did offer to check you back in when you briefed me on the late checkout issue and this trip advisor review. We were consistent in storing luggage and shuttling guests to the several attractions in the area which were open to you as well. We are very generous with late checkouts but on this day we could not as there were several requests for early check in due to the extended weekend our guests were taking advantage of. I will review your concern about the beverage pour at the manager’s reception and the displeasure you found with the complimentary food that was offered with our Food & Beverage director . I will share your positive comments with the staff you mentioned in the Restaurant, Bar, and Valet staff. Again I apologize for the displeasure you had with your stay and with myself and the other managers of this hotel but can assure that we do show great concern for our HHonors guests.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks because of my job. You can tell it's not a newer hotel, but it was fairly clean. I can't say enough about the front desk folks - so, so, so very nice! I chose this particular hotel because 1) I am a diamond member with the Hilton chains and 2) they offered a shuttle service to surrounding locations, including my office in downtown Kansas City. Even though the shuttle was a nice feature, you should not bank on it being available for every place you want to go. I realize that there were many other people in the hotel, but it wasn't as readily available as one would hope. Over the 2 weeks I was there, I had to use a taxi to get to places (or back to the hotel from places) at least 15 times. Luckily for me it was a business expense, but for those of you traveling without a car, be prepared to shell out some $$$ for taxi fare because the shuttle isn't always the answer.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME breakfast offered every day!

The room was definately dated and worn out. The bathroom size was very comparable to a shoebox - you could walk inside and step right into the tub but that was about it. Absolutely NO room! The fan/heater running all the time was also something that should be updated. Some days it would whistle when it ran and it did keep me awake on more than one night.

A suggestion to the hotel: PLEASE put a small table and a chair to sit at in your "laundry" area. I literally sat on the floor in the hallway while my clothes were being washed and dried (that is located on the 4th floor and my room was on the 9th floor) and when they were done I had no place to fold them or lay them while I was attending to the rest of the clothes.

Being a Hilton hotel, I was expecting a newer, more updated room. But it was sufficient for my needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Good Afternoon DogNamedBill

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. Please know your comments have been shared with the front desk and breakfast teams! They never get tired of hearing this type of feedback. The shuttle was popular and that combined with cold weather issues did have this amenity very active. I apologize that you were only able to count on this 50% of the time. I will discuss your ideas for the laundry room as it does sound as it is something our guests could use. Again thank you for your comments and for your patronage of our hotels.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

First impression is how friendly everyone is at the hotel. The front desk staff could not be more friendly. They have a van that will take you to the local restaurants at the plaza to eat. It was very reliable and drivers very friendly. The hospitality receptions are extremely generous with drinks. The rooms are a bit outdated but very cozy.
If i had to find a complaint it was about the reservation once there. On govt business for 3 nights and advised depending on weather we might have to cut out a night early if weather back home looked bad. Was told there would be $75 fee for early check out but we could go night by night and we would be fine if hotel did not fill up (which it did not). Don't understand why so inflexible. When on business, things can change.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Good Afternoon Michael C

Thank you for staying with us and for the kind words about the staff and hotel. I apologize for the early departure fee issue and we do work with our guests on this issue but we had to resort to this due to some of our guests taking advantage of this. I hope that we were able to work this out with you during your stay and would be delighted to discuss this further with you if needed. Again Thank You for staying with us and I hope you would think of us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City.
Glenwood, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My kids and I had a great time. We stayed at this hotel in January 2013 on a trip for a wedding. The open lobby showcased the 12 stories and the glass elevators. My kids tossed coins into the fountain in the center of the lobby and were thrilled that we got a room on the top floor. The pool is very unique; the hot tub and shallow pool (3 ft) are on an upper level and then below (you just go down a few stairs) is a deeper (8ft) pool, a sauna, and a steam room. The fitness center had nice equipment with tv screens in the treadmills and additional equipment including hand weights and medicine balls. The breakfast in the morning offered a wide variety of choices including hot foods which is always nice. The room itself was great with two separate rooms with flat screen tvs in each. The only drawback was every time we entered the room there was a faint fragrance of a woman's perfume but I am guessing that was just whatever type of freshener they use. Overall it was excellent including ample parking and a very short trip to the plaza--just around the corner!

Room Tip: We mentioned that we liked the upper floors and were given a room on the top floor. Kids loved it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Good afternoon Ms BobbiJoR

Thank you for your delightful review! We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. I am glad that you allowed us to grant the little one’s request about a high floor when you arrived. Traveling with little Humans can be stressful and I am glad we were able to accommodate their wishes. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the breakfast, our newly renovated pool and the Country Club Plaza while here for a wedding. . Again Thank You for your kind words and for staying with us and I hope you would think of us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel multiple times over the past few years and have seen it really go down hill. I will start with the positive. The location of the hotel is great, about a 15-20 minute walk to the plaza and has plenty of reasonably priced secure parking. The staff at the hotel are lovely. The happy hour bartender was very friendly and everyone kept reminding us if we wanted more free drink tickets to just ask the front desk. The breakfast in the morning is amazing and the staff for that are wonderful too. Now for the not so great; for starters we always use the pool and hot tub when we stay and were not told until we asked to go get towels that it was closed for renovation. The hotel could use a lot of work. We found paint stains everywhere, on the carpets in the hallway and also in our room on the furniture. The furniture in the room is worn out and approaching gross (stained in multiple places with paint, etc). The spare blanket was years past useable. It had been dried so many times it was crunchy and gross, unfortunately I slept on the coach and had to sleep with it all night. Our room was by the elevators which were loud and woke me up but I do not believe this would be a problem for all rooms. We found a swimsuit hanging on the back of the door upon checking in the room and considering that the pool is shut it must've been there for some time. This very much made me question how throughly the rooms are being cleaned. The sheets on the bed also had some minor staining. I would stay here again due to the happy hour, breakfast and location, but this hotel is at a lower standard than any other embassy suites I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevators
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Good afternoon Huskerabroad

We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay with us. Unfortunately, we had a chance to renovate the pool area at the last moment and that is why there was little notice about this to our guests. I did address the housekeeping issues with our Housekeeping leaders and staff as these should have been caught by our staff and not you. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future. Lastly, thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza? Share your experiences!