“Neat Hotel! SUPER friendly staff!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Gift Card to Shop
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
“Neat Hotel! SUPER friendly staff!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks because of my job. You can tell it's not a newer hotel, but it was fairly clean. I can't say enough about the front desk folks - so, so, so very nice! I chose this particular hotel because 1) I am a diamond member with the Hilton chains and 2) they offered a shuttle service to surrounding locations, including my office in downtown Kansas City. Even though the shuttle was a nice feature, you should not bank on it being available for every place you want to go. I realize that there were many other people in the hotel, but it wasn't as readily available as one would hope. Over the 2 weeks I was there, I had to use a taxi to get to places (or back to the hotel from places) at least 15 times. Luckily for me it was a business expense, but for those of you traveling without a car, be prepared to shell out some $$$ for taxi fare because the shuttle isn't always the answer.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME breakfast offered every day!

The room was definately dated and worn out. The bathroom size was very comparable to a shoebox - you could walk inside and step right into the tub but that was about it. Absolutely NO room! The fan/heater running all the time was also something that should be updated. Some days it would whistle when it ran and it did keep me awake on more than one night.

A suggestion to the hotel: PLEASE put a small table and a chair to sit at in your "laundry" area. I literally sat on the floor in the hallway while my clothes were being washed and dried (that is located on the 4th floor and my room was on the 9th floor) and when they were done I had no place to fold them or lay them while I was attending to the rest of the clothes.

Being a Hilton hotel, I was expecting a newer, more updated room. But it was sufficient for my needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Good Afternoon DogNamedBill

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. Please know your comments have been shared with the front desk and breakfast teams! They never get tired of hearing this type of feedback. The shuttle was popular and that combined with cold weather issues did have this amenity very active. I apologize that you were only able to count on this 50% of the time. I will discuss your ideas for the laundry room as it does sound as it is something our guests could use. Again thank you for your comments and for your patronage of our hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

First impression is how friendly everyone is at the hotel. The front desk staff could not be more friendly. They have a van that will take you to the local restaurants at the plaza to eat. It was very reliable and drivers very friendly. The hospitality receptions are extremely generous with drinks. The rooms are a bit outdated but very cozy.
If i had to find a complaint it was about the reservation once there. On govt business for 3 nights and advised depending on weather we might have to cut out a night early if weather back home looked bad. Was told there would be $75 fee for early check out but we could go night by night and we would be fine if hotel did not fill up (which it did not). Don't understand why so inflexible. When on business, things can change.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Good Afternoon Michael C

Thank you for staying with us and for the kind words about the staff and hotel. I apologize for the early departure fee issue and we do work with our guests on this issue but we had to resort to this due to some of our guests taking advantage of this. I hope that we were able to work this out with you during your stay and would be delighted to discuss this further with you if needed. Again Thank You for staying with us and I hope you would think of us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City.
Glenwood, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My kids and I had a great time. We stayed at this hotel in January 2013 on a trip for a wedding. The open lobby showcased the 12 stories and the glass elevators. My kids tossed coins into the fountain in the center of the lobby and were thrilled that we got a room on the top floor. The pool is very unique; the hot tub and shallow pool (3 ft) are on an upper level and then below (you just go down a few stairs) is a deeper (8ft) pool, a sauna, and a steam room. The fitness center had nice equipment with tv screens in the treadmills and additional equipment including hand weights and medicine balls. The breakfast in the morning offered a wide variety of choices including hot foods which is always nice. The room itself was great with two separate rooms with flat screen tvs in each. The only drawback was every time we entered the room there was a faint fragrance of a woman's perfume but I am guessing that was just whatever type of freshener they use. Overall it was excellent including ample parking and a very short trip to the plaza--just around the corner!

Room Tip: We mentioned that we liked the upper floors and were given a room on the top floor. Kids loved it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Good afternoon Ms BobbiJoR

Thank you for your delightful review! We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. I am glad that you allowed us to grant the little one’s request about a high floor when you arrived. Traveling with little Humans can be stressful and I am glad we were able to accommodate their wishes. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the breakfast, our newly renovated pool and the Country Club Plaza while here for a wedding. . Again Thank You for your kind words and for staying with us and I hope you would think of us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel multiple times over the past few years and have seen it really go down hill. I will start with the positive. The location of the hotel is great, about a 15-20 minute walk to the plaza and has plenty of reasonably priced secure parking. The staff at the hotel are lovely. The happy hour bartender was very friendly and everyone kept reminding us if we wanted more free drink tickets to just ask the front desk. The breakfast in the morning is amazing and the staff for that are wonderful too. Now for the not so great; for starters we always use the pool and hot tub when we stay and were not told until we asked to go get towels that it was closed for renovation. The hotel could use a lot of work. We found paint stains everywhere, on the carpets in the hallway and also in our room on the furniture. The furniture in the room is worn out and approaching gross (stained in multiple places with paint, etc). The spare blanket was years past useable. It had been dried so many times it was crunchy and gross, unfortunately I slept on the coach and had to sleep with it all night. Our room was by the elevators which were loud and woke me up but I do not believe this would be a problem for all rooms. We found a swimsuit hanging on the back of the door upon checking in the room and considering that the pool is shut it must've been there for some time. This very much made me question how throughly the rooms are being cleaned. The sheets on the bed also had some minor staining. I would stay here again due to the happy hour, breakfast and location, but this hotel is at a lower standard than any other embassy suites I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevators
Good afternoon Huskerabroad

We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay with us. Unfortunately, we had a chance to renovate the pool area at the last moment and that is why there was little notice about this to our guests. I did address the housekeeping issues with our Housekeeping leaders and staff as these should have been caught by our staff and not you. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future. Lastly, thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Here with my family to visit a friend at KU Medical Center. This is a great location and the property is a typical older Embassy Suites. The bathrooms are somewhat dated and we experienced the sound issue from the mirror over the bedroom sink discussed in a former review (rm 1120). The breakfast was good along with the managers reception. Never a fan of the small pillows but those seem to be at all Embassy Suites. One important item to add was we stayed with Honors Points but were treated like any other guest. That is not always the case. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mlsimp2

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope your friend at KU medical center is doing better. Please note I have briefed our engineering staff on the sound concerns that you mentioned in your review. Guest on reward stays are extremely important to not only our hotel but to our entire collection of hotels. The reward is due to your patronage and loyalty and guests need to have a great experience so that they will continue to stay at our hotels in the future. Honors guests are vital to our business and I apologize if you were treated differently at other hotels. Again, thank you for staying with us and I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Not quite as nice as some Embassy suites I have stayed at, but was within walking distance of Westport. (we were there to celebrate a bachelor party) Just a little dated, nothing bad to report though......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good day Drpete65

It was a pleasure being host to your bachelor party and thank you for the kind words about the Hotel and staff. Hopefully the memories will ignite a desire to stay with us again if your future travels bring you back to Kansas City. Lastly, please tell the Groom congratulations on his upcoming wedding.
Whitby Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Plaza Hotel in KC Jan 11th - 13th. Very friendly staff, they even have a free shuttle that will take you to all the major attractions and restaurants in the area. One of the guys I was traveling with got sick so we had to make a pharmacy run to get some meds. The front desk had no problem driving us to a nearby walgreens to get what we needed. Super accommodating folks at this hotel.
Free hot breakfast was included with our stay, had made to order omelets each morning.
Only complaint was a noise issue in the next room beside ours. We stayed in room 715 and for some reason above the sink in the main bedroom the bulkhead was made out of drywall and we could hear people's conversations perfectly in the next room. Wasn't a big deal and found it kind of entertaining as it was a group of girls haha. But it would have been annoying if we were trying to sleep.
Furniture was modern, linens were clean - no complaints. Will def stay here again if I'm in KC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Woodypi80

We appreciate the great comments and positive feedback about our hotel. I am glad that our staff assisted your ill friend as traveling is stressful enough and we hope he is felling better. I will review your concerns with our engineering staff about the noise from guests next door. Thank you for letting us know that this made your stay less than perfect. Again, thank you for the positive comments and will make sure to commend our Staff on the service they provide. Lastly, we hope to have you as guests again if your future travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza? Share your experiences!