“Beautiful hotel, fun pool, nice breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
PARK, STAY, CONNECT
Ranked #49 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Glenwood, Iowa
“Beautiful hotel, fun pool, nice breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My kids and I had a great time. We stayed at this hotel in January 2013 on a trip for a wedding. The open lobby showcased the 12 stories and the glass elevators. My kids tossed coins into the fountain in the center of the lobby and were thrilled that we got a room on the top floor. The pool is very unique; the hot tub and shallow pool (3 ft) are on an upper level and then below (you just go down a few stairs) is a deeper (8ft) pool, a sauna, and a steam room. The fitness center had nice equipment with tv screens in the treadmills and additional equipment including hand weights and medicine balls. The breakfast in the morning offered a wide variety of choices including hot foods which is always nice. The room itself was great with two separate rooms with flat screen tvs in each. The only drawback was every time we entered the room there was a faint fragrance of a woman's perfume but I am guessing that was just whatever type of freshener they use. Overall it was excellent including ample parking and a very short trip to the plaza--just around the corner!

Room Tip: We mentioned that we liked the upper floors and were given a room on the top floor. Kids loved it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Good afternoon Ms BobbiJoR

Thank you for your delightful review! We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. I am glad that you allowed us to grant the little one’s request about a high floor when you arrived. Traveling with little Humans can be stressful and I am glad we were able to accommodate their wishes. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the breakfast, our newly renovated pool and the Country Club Plaza while here for a wedding. . Again Thank You for your kind words and for staying with us and I hope you would think of us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel multiple times over the past few years and have seen it really go down hill. I will start with the positive. The location of the hotel is great, about a 15-20 minute walk to the plaza and has plenty of reasonably priced secure parking. The staff at the hotel are lovely. The happy hour bartender was very friendly and everyone kept reminding us if we wanted more free drink tickets to just ask the front desk. The breakfast in the morning is amazing and the staff for that are wonderful too. Now for the not so great; for starters we always use the pool and hot tub when we stay and were not told until we asked to go get towels that it was closed for renovation. The hotel could use a lot of work. We found paint stains everywhere, on the carpets in the hallway and also in our room on the furniture. The furniture in the room is worn out and approaching gross (stained in multiple places with paint, etc). The spare blanket was years past useable. It had been dried so many times it was crunchy and gross, unfortunately I slept on the coach and had to sleep with it all night. Our room was by the elevators which were loud and woke me up but I do not believe this would be a problem for all rooms. We found a swimsuit hanging on the back of the door upon checking in the room and considering that the pool is shut it must've been there for some time. This very much made me question how throughly the rooms are being cleaned. The sheets on the bed also had some minor staining. I would stay here again due to the happy hour, breakfast and location, but this hotel is at a lower standard than any other embassy suites I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Request room away from elevators
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Good afternoon Huskerabroad

We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay with us. Unfortunately, we had a chance to renovate the pool area at the last moment and that is why there was little notice about this to our guests. I did address the housekeeping issues with our Housekeeping leaders and staff as these should have been caught by our staff and not you. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future. Lastly, thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Here with my family to visit a friend at KU Medical Center. This is a great location and the property is a typical older Embassy Suites. The bathrooms are somewhat dated and we experienced the sound issue from the mirror over the bedroom sink discussed in a former review (rm 1120). The breakfast was good along with the managers reception. Never a fan of the small pillows but those seem to be at all Embassy Suites. One important item to add was we stayed with Honors Points but were treated like any other guest. That is not always the case. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mlsimp2

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope your friend at KU medical center is doing better. Please note I have briefed our engineering staff on the sound concerns that you mentioned in your review. Guest on reward stays are extremely important to not only our hotel but to our entire collection of hotels. The reward is due to your patronage and loyalty and guests need to have a great experience so that they will continue to stay at our hotels in the future. Honors guests are vital to our business and I apologize if you were treated differently at other hotels. Again, thank you for staying with us and I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Not quite as nice as some Embassy suites I have stayed at, but was within walking distance of Westport. (we were there to celebrate a bachelor party) Just a little dated, nothing bad to report though......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Good day Drpete65

It was a pleasure being host to your bachelor party and thank you for the kind words about the Hotel and staff. Hopefully the memories will ignite a desire to stay with us again if your future travels bring you back to Kansas City. Lastly, please tell the Groom congratulations on his upcoming wedding.
Whitby Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Plaza Hotel in KC Jan 11th - 13th. Very friendly staff, they even have a free shuttle that will take you to all the major attractions and restaurants in the area. One of the guys I was traveling with got sick so we had to make a pharmacy run to get some meds. The front desk had no problem driving us to a nearby walgreens to get what we needed. Super accommodating folks at this hotel.
Free hot breakfast was included with our stay, had made to order omelets each morning.
Only complaint was a noise issue in the next room beside ours. We stayed in room 715 and for some reason above the sink in the main bedroom the bulkhead was made out of drywall and we could hear people's conversations perfectly in the next room. Wasn't a big deal and found it kind of entertaining as it was a group of girls haha. But it would have been annoying if we were trying to sleep.
Furniture was modern, linens were clean - no complaints. Will def stay here again if I'm in KC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Woodypi80

We appreciate the great comments and positive feedback about our hotel. I am glad that our staff assisted your ill friend as traveling is stressful enough and we hope he is felling better. I will review your concerns with our engineering staff about the noise from guests next door. Thank you for letting us know that this made your stay less than perfect. Again, thank you for the positive comments and will make sure to commend our Staff on the service they provide. Lastly, we hope to have you as guests again if your future travels bring you back to Kansas City.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Took my best friend for her birthday celebration to Embassy on the Plaza. We had a great time! The bartender at the hotel restaurant (Oliver) was helpful and friendly and made us his "signature" cherry limeaid. Delicious! The staff was great the free shuttle to the Plaza was fantastic! All in all a great and memorable weekend!

Room Tip: They are all two room suites, so I don't think there is a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Robin M

First of all please wish your friend a belated happy birthday. I am sure that our staff did so but wanted to wish her one on my behalf as well. We appreciate the great comments and positive feedback about our hotel. I am glad that you and your birthday friend enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service to the Plaza and Westport areas. I will tell the bartender of your positive comments and of his beverage creations as well. Thank you for sharing your stay with the guests of Trip advisor and I hope you will stay with us again!
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is a great meeting place for me and my friend with kids (she lives in Iowa, I live in Oklahoma). The rooms allow for several people to stay in one suite (we stay relatively comfortably with 5 people). The kids can't get enough of the glass elevator. The major pluses are the buffet breakfast, which is a full breakfast, the coupons for free drinks in the afternoon and the pool. It is multi-layered and there is also a jacuzzi. It is also close to many restaurants and shops. The only annoying thing is paying for parking, which isn't such a big deal with the other amenities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Linzpoo

Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. The spacious two-room suite, Complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour offered to all hotel guests really enhances a guest’s overall stay in several aspects.
Unfortunately parking is a premium and we were forced to go to a paid parking format as there people parking in our lot who were not hotel guests. Again, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future. We are just finishing an upgrade to our pool and I am sure the kids will like this better than the elevators!