“Nice property and great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Gift Card to Shop
Ranked #37 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Oklahoma
“Nice property and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Here with my family to visit a friend at KU Medical Center. This is a great location and the property is a typical older Embassy Suites. The bathrooms are somewhat dated and we experienced the sound issue from the mirror over the bedroom sink discussed in a former review (rm 1120). The breakfast was good along with the managers reception. Never a fan of the small pillows but those seem to be at all Embassy Suites. One important item to add was we stayed with Honors Points but were treated like any other guest. That is not always the case. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mlsimp2

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope your friend at KU medical center is doing better. Please note I have briefed our engineering staff on the sound concerns that you mentioned in your review. Guest on reward stays are extremely important to not only our hotel but to our entire collection of hotels. The reward is due to your patronage and loyalty and guests need to have a great experience so that they will continue to stay at our hotels in the future. Honors guests are vital to our business and I apologize if you were treated differently at other hotels. Again, thank you for staying with us and I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City

541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Lincoln, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Not quite as nice as some Embassy suites I have stayed at, but was within walking distance of Westport. (we were there to celebrate a bachelor party) Just a little dated, nothing bad to report though......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Good day Drpete65

It was a pleasure being host to your bachelor party and thank you for the kind words about the Hotel and staff. Hopefully the memories will ignite a desire to stay with us again if your future travels bring you back to Kansas City. Lastly, please tell the Groom congratulations on his upcoming wedding.
Whitby Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Plaza Hotel in KC Jan 11th - 13th. Very friendly staff, they even have a free shuttle that will take you to all the major attractions and restaurants in the area. One of the guys I was traveling with got sick so we had to make a pharmacy run to get some meds. The front desk had no problem driving us to a nearby walgreens to get what we needed. Super accommodating folks at this hotel.
Free hot breakfast was included with our stay, had made to order omelets each morning.
Only complaint was a noise issue in the next room beside ours. We stayed in room 715 and for some reason above the sink in the main bedroom the bulkhead was made out of drywall and we could hear people's conversations perfectly in the next room. Wasn't a big deal and found it kind of entertaining as it was a group of girls haha. But it would have been annoying if we were trying to sleep.
Furniture was modern, linens were clean - no complaints. Will def stay here again if I'm in KC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Woodypi80

We appreciate the great comments and positive feedback about our hotel. I am glad that our staff assisted your ill friend as traveling is stressful enough and we hope he is felling better. I will review your concerns with our engineering staff about the noise from guests next door. Thank you for letting us know that this made your stay less than perfect. Again, thank you for the positive comments and will make sure to commend our Staff on the service they provide. Lastly, we hope to have you as guests again if your future travels bring you back to Kansas City.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Took my best friend for her birthday celebration to Embassy on the Plaza. We had a great time! The bartender at the hotel restaurant (Oliver) was helpful and friendly and made us his "signature" cherry limeaid. Delicious! The staff was great the free shuttle to the Plaza was fantastic! All in all a great and memorable weekend!

Room Tip: They are all two room suites, so I don't think there is a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Robin M

First of all please wish your friend a belated happy birthday. I am sure that our staff did so but wanted to wish her one on my behalf as well. We appreciate the great comments and positive feedback about our hotel. I am glad that you and your birthday friend enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service to the Plaza and Westport areas. I will tell the bartender of your positive comments and of his beverage creations as well. Thank you for sharing your stay with the guests of Trip advisor and I hope you will stay with us again!
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is a great meeting place for me and my friend with kids (she lives in Iowa, I live in Oklahoma). The rooms allow for several people to stay in one suite (we stay relatively comfortably with 5 people). The kids can't get enough of the glass elevator. The major pluses are the buffet breakfast, which is a full breakfast, the coupons for free drinks in the afternoon and the pool. It is multi-layered and there is also a jacuzzi. It is also close to many restaurants and shops. The only annoying thing is paying for parking, which isn't such a big deal with the other amenities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Linzpoo

Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you had an excellent stay with us. The spacious two-room suite, Complimentary breakfast and cocktail hour offered to all hotel guests really enhances a guest’s overall stay in several aspects.
Unfortunately parking is a premium and we were forced to go to a paid parking format as there people parking in our lot who were not hotel guests. Again, thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future. We are just finishing an upgrade to our pool and I am sure the kids will like this better than the elevators!
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Let me start on the postive things about the Plaza Embassy Suites! The rooms are clean and nice sized. I love that the bedroom is seperate from the living area and that there is a door to the bedroom. The staff is super nice and very accomodating. The room price is not too bad but was surprised that self parking was $10 a day. The hot/free breakfast in the mornings is awesome! They have the best omelets and this is great amenity. There is a reception in the evenings as well which is a nice touch as well. Able to have some snacks (cold and hot) plus you get tickets for alcoholic drinks.

Now on the not so great things. If you are coming to this hotel because it says it has a pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna...please rethink. The hot tub was not very hot and dirty. I am not super picky but after the first night I would not go back in there! The pool did look clean but I did not get in there either. The steam room was not very hot inside so it did not steam properly and the sauna was not hot at all! We did say something about the steam room not working properly and all they said was that they had heard that also and would try to get it fixed. It never was fixed during our stay (we were there for 4 nights/5 days). It truly was a disappointment to us that we could not use any of those amenities.

Overall, this hotel is good...good service, food amenities, clean, etc. The rooms could use some updating but overall it was a good stay. I am not sure I would stay here again but would not say that I wouldn't.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Michele B

Thank you for the detailed review of your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on the favorable comments of your breakfast, manager’s reception and of our staff.
I also appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. We along with the other hotels in the plaza area have been forced to go to a paid parking as we had non- hotel guests using our parking spaces. Our parking charges are fairly reasonable in comparison to the other hotels in the area. The steam room and sauna heating issues and the whirlpool cleanliness issues were discussed with our engineering and housekeeping staff. I am happy to tell you that we have just refinished our pool and it looks fabulous. If you would be so kind as to contact me I would like to discuss your stay further. Again thank you for your comments and for staying with us and I would hope we could be of service to you again when our travels bring you back to Kansa City...
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had an informal family event scheduled here recently. The staff was incredibly accomodating. I would single out the restaurant/bar and front desk staff for being absolutely wonderful, a true example of superior customer service, which can be rare these days. They went an extra mile to help us out with our event which was certainly above their normal jobs. The rooms were fantastic all around also. I encourage you to stay here for sure. I know we will.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Gcrew12

Thank you for your kind words about your recent family gathering at our hotel. We are fortunate to have staff that naturally wants to assist guests and/or reduce the amount of stress that is normally associated with traveling. We are happy that our staff did go the extra mile which made your stay that much more enjoyable. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza? Share your experiences!