“Anniversary Get Away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, KS
“Anniversary Get Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband stayed here for our anniversary. We knew it was near the Plaza and always enjoy Embassy Suites' manager's reception and breakfast. Overall we had a great experience. I with other reviews that it is ready for an update, but it was still nice. We requested a high floor away from the hotel to help with noise as other posters recommended. We still heard 2 ambulances going to the hospital during the night which woke us. Other than that it was quiet. The blackout curtains were great. I am a HIlton Honors gold member and they acknowledged that when checking in. My room wasn't available yet, so they found me one that was. They also hand delivered 2 bottles of water and crackers for free for being a Gold Member. We enjoyed the evening manager's reception from 5:30-7:30 p.m. We were given tickets when checking in for drinks. We used the tickets at the bar. We weren't impressed with the bar tender though because he always insisted we tip. We thought that was really odd. We always tip bartenders, but didn't like being told we had to do it. We ran out of tickets and asked the front desk for more. They had no problem giving me more which was nice. I just had to show my ID. The waiter named Willie made the entire reception fun. He worked very hard cleaning tables and interacting with the people. He was much more enjoyable than the bartender. We ended up tipping him for his great service. They served chips, dip, and popcorn during the reception. This hotel is a bit of a walk to the Plaza so we used their convenient shuttle that runs from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. The longest we waited for it was 5 minutes. Fabulous! We had the driver drop us off doorside to Houston's restaurant which was fabulous. When we were finished, we called and she picked us up doorside again. No problem with the shuttle. The breakfast was great for a hotel. Very typical of other Embassy Suites I have stayed. The buffet crew had a bit of trouble keeping the hot food stocked though. We never did get any meat because it was always empty. But in general, it was a nice breakfast. $10 parking with in and out priveledges. There was both underground covered parking, or outdoor parking. Overall we enjoyed our stay. The staff was friendly. I do think Hilton needs to start looking at this one for a remodel though. The door behind the check in counter was filthy. Would I stay again? Yes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Bananasue37
A belated happy anniversary, although I am sure we did acknowledge your anniversary while you were with us. Thank you for sharing such a thorough and detailed review of your anniversary weekend. You referenced several key points which I am glad our staff followed through on. Your comments on our staff will be shared with them as they always want to know what our guest’s thought of their efforts. I apologize for the unacceptable performance and behavior of the Bartender at the manager’s reception. I did share your comments with our Food & Beverage team. Please understand that this issue was discussed with all of the bartenders as a training issue and cannot be tolerated.
Thank you again, for your review and also for your patronage of our hotels. Hilton Honors Gold member comments are extremely important to us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Rogers, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Be very carefully of the resturant. I ordered 2 $9 meals and was told that the bill would be $32. I took the menu to the manager and he said that was just the way it was. When I asked where on the menu it said there would be extra charges. He again said that was just the way it was. Horrible custmer service and deceptive advertising. Buyer beware.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Mike V
I apologize for the displeasure you found with our Restaurant but you also did not mention that it was Room Service you had wanted to order. The additional charges were the gratuity and a delivery fee which is in line with the other hotels in this city which offer Room Service. You also wanted the Bleu cheese Burger which was more expensive than the Hamburger which was stated on the menu you had in your suite. We did inspect your suite and found that you had Restaurant menus and not the Room service menu. The Restaurant Supervisor and the bartender in the Restaurant apologized and explained the additional charges and even offered to set up the order as a takeout which would eliminate the charges but you hung the phone up on them. The Night manager also offered to buy you and your guest the burgers but you refused. We also offered you shuttle service to the restaurants in the Plaza and Westport areas which you took advantage of and seemed to enjoy. Again, I apologize for the issues you had with the restaurant but we did on multiple occasions attempt to correct this which you forgot to tell the readers of Trip advisor.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here with friends during a very busy no-vacancy Kansas City Chiefs opening weekend. Our "non-smoking" room smelled heavily of smoke. When we asked at the desk about it, we were told they would look into it, but were not offered any sort of an adjustment or explanation. Our friends' room had a wild shower head and bad speaker on their TV. It may be time for a makeover on the floor where we were. Their breakfast is good, and the wait staff was hilarious and very, very helpful. We would stay here again, but would do a thorough check of the room before settling in. They have a shuttle to the Plaza, but if you are a walker, it's only about 1/2 to one mile to get there (depending upon where you are headed). The valet service was prompt and efficient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Ms. Susan S

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I passed along your feedback with the hotel team and we are actively taking steps to freshen our guest rooms but apologize it wasn’t done sooner. I’ve also let our maintenance team know about the malfunctioning showerhead and television speaker. It’s nice to hear what a great time you had with our serving staff. We love that you noticed our team’s passion for their profession. Thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I took a long weekend and stayed here assuming this Embassy Suites was like others that we have stayed at in the past, and I think years ago it might have been that way. The issues that we had all seemed like they could have been prevented with a little TLC and training.
The remote control in our room wasnt working so I called the front desk only to find out that the phone in our room had a bad cord and I could hardly hear anything. Then after dumping some melted ice down the sink we fould out the drain was clogged. Except for the phone we were able to get the issues fixed.
At breakfast there was a employee that was so loud he could be heard throughout the entire breakfast area. As he clearly had no intentions of working that day we all got to hear him discuss his newest tatoo! No one asked him to get to work or even be quite. Not the way to start your day.
When I stay at a Embassy Suites I expect a certain level of quality and this place just doesn't have it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Our goal is to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable. You are correct that the issues you mentioned should have been discovered by our housekeeping staff and corrected prior to your arrival. The breakfast employee should have been told to reduce the volume of his voice and concentrate on our guests versus his new body art and off work plans. I will speak to the breakfast manager and the individual as well. Again I apologize that our property did not measure up to the others that you have stayed at in the past and will share your comments with our staff. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.
Rock Island, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

By Far, the worst Embassy Suites I or my family have stayed at, and not a reflection on the Great Hotel chain it is. If I we on management team, I would take the sign down. Poorly managed hotel, front to rear. Bathrooms are smaller than a closet. They ran out of Milk
and coffee & juice for breakfast ! Come on Now, you dont know how many quest you have to plan for breakfast ! Even my 6 year old granddaughter said out loud, that this is really a bad hotel, she does know, she has stayed with me at 6 other Embassy's.
Not really close to shopping or downtown, as they advertise.
Extrremely disappointed ! And to Boot, Overpriced for other Hotels near downtown.

Room Tip: Go somewhere Else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Goodputter
Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is very important to us. I sincerely apologize that some of the drink items were out of stock at breakfast. We are reevaluating our ordering process to ensure this does not happen again. We look for reviews to provide insight, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. I would hope you would take into consideration the two-room suite, Complimentary beverages and breakfast when comparing us to other hotels in the area. Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is very important to us. I sincerely apologize that some of the drink items were out of stock at breakfast. We are reevaluating our ordering process to ensure this does not happen again. We look for reviews to provide insight, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. The next time you are in the area, we would love for you to stay with us again.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had my laptop bag stolen from the breakfast area during my stay from 8/13/12 to 8/21/12. My rental car keys were in the bag. Even though I immediately informed the hotel of the theft, the staff failed to do a single thing about securing the car and let the thief drive away in my rental car from their gated parking lot. After seeing me talk to the police another hotel guest told me that she had caught someone trying to steal her video camera one day earlier. This indicates to me that theft is widespread at that hotel. Add dingy rooms and the money-making scheme that they call guest parking, and this makes it the worst Embassy Suites I have ever stayed at.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Paris, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

this place is very clean and comfortable. the pool was very nice and attractive and I especially liked the hours of the pool. They usually want to close the pool by 10:00 and that is just too early when you are out during the day doing other thing.
I enjoyed the happy hour and the breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Mr. markels

Thank you for sharing your review with the readers of TripAdvisor. I will share your comments on with our staff which I know will make their day!. I apologize for the challenges you had with parking. We were the last hotel to charge for parking and the fee is the lowest amongst the hotels on the plaza. Please accept my apologies for staff not offering to valet your car (at the self-parking rate) when you could not find a space or at least offer to assist in finding a spot to park. Again, Thank you for your comments and I hope you future travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Kansas City - Plaza? Share your experiences!