“Despite some good and bad room issues, good stay and impeccable Sheraton service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #38 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Prairie Village, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I recently spent two weekend nights here to get away from my local Kansas house to ease my frazzled mind. I am a frequent or dominantly loyal Starwood hotel guest. I wanted to stay at this hotel out of curiosity about what I previously noticed about the room suite layout upon looking the place up...
#1 SOME MINOR CHECK-IN WOES:
Initially, I wanted to get out of my house as soon as possible and ended up (trying to) check into the hotel earlier around 12:00p.m. instead of the recommended 3:00p.m. check-in time. Either it was too early and that to blame on my part, or equal fault of the housekeeping service for not getting around to get my room ready until much later after first checking in. For an estimated 45 minutes -1 hour estimated wait time, I walked around the Plaza to kill off that wait time. When I returned to the lobby, the front desk clerk told me that my room would not be ready for another 15 minutes, but that turned into a much longer extended wait time. I would say about 30 or 45 extra minutes. I even got a little jealous watching other guests being able to receive immediate check-in clearance to their rooms. It made me wonder what was going on..Did they reserve their rooms much earlier than I did? Were regular floor guests able to get into their rooms quicker than the club floor guests, or was housekeeping just behind with a lot of things going on at the hotel that day? Luckily, before I worried any further, things got better from that point...My room was finally ready after the long wait and the good news accompanying that was in the form of free appetizer and cocktail cards generously issued by the front desk clerk to apologize for my wait! That was an extra plus I took advantage of later! Next time I come back to this hotel in the future, I am going to cause less stress for the front desk, housekeeping, and myself by at least checking in at 2:00 p.m. if I check in earlier than 3:00 p.m.!
#2 POSITIVE ROOM ASPECTS:
When I arrived to room 1711, I was really impressed with the architectural layout/ floor plan design and overall clever planning of the room space. It was a benefit that guests could stay in such rooms with a separate bedroom and living room along with a bathroom that was accessible from both rooms. I thought it was good that the price rate of the divided room like that was a little under the price rate of a smaller traditional hotel room in one of the Crown Center hotels. I also like the two t.v.s in both rooms, the living room with the desk, sofa bed, coffee table, and refrigerator with microwave oven counter above it. For as long as they got around to doing it,, the housekeeping staff did an incredible job . The room was spotlessly clean! In a way you could even say it was worth the wait I went through in the lobby! Lastly, and most importantly, all the plumbing and light fixtures worked well, too.
#3 NEGATIVE ROOM ASPECTS:
Unfortunately, the towel rack above the toilet had a loose right support piece causing it to lean down to the right, there was a horizontal red mark on the wallcovering to the right of the main door, some milky stains on the desk and coffee table surfaces, some beige paint chipped off the door frames, black dot stains on the carpet by the coffee table, and the couch had pink gum residue on the right arm and a torn seat cushion, the desk chair also had a small tear in the leather on the side of the backrest, and some tiny (ceiling paint) drips on the shower wall and bathroom floor marble. I didn't like the feeling of the bathtub surface material. It didn't feel too stable or flattened when I walked on it when I took a shower. I'm not sure, but, but it might have been a re-bath covering which I didn't like and I feel is not worthy of helping a hotel room's value increase. Especially in a club floor room. It kind of makes the room with such a higher club floor rate a rip-off. Additionally, on that note, I was surprised that some of those negative defects weren't addressed and taken care of for a club floor room like that, and especially for the increased rate guests pay pay for to be on that floor and status. I don't know whether housekeeping or former guests are supposed to report those defects to be taken care of before new guests occupy the room.
#4 CLUB FLOOR ROOM VIEW FALSE BALCONIES/ BARRIERS:
I had a good/ decent view for the fact of being in a room on the second to the top floor, but the negative was that it was a little blocked off from the bottom of the windows since false balcony facade barriers stuck out in front of them. There was no access out to them for use, and it was sad that they looked like balconies, but really weren't meant for the purpose. The one in front of the bedroom window looked worse. It extended out further, and ugly support bars for that one could be seen. It wasn't worth looking at so I just left the sheer curtains closed over the window for good. It looked like a bad mistake by the architects of the building. Those false balconies should have actually been built as balconies, or the windows should have started higher at the actual view level. I would like to come back to this hotel in the future, but I won't plan on booking a club level room next time because of the view situation. I will intend on getting a room on the SPG or any regular guest floor. That way, I won't have an obstruction in front of the window if I want more of an overall view from it.
#5 GENERAL POSITIVE STAY EXCEPTION:
Despite all of the aforementioned negatives, I liked being in the room, and I was satisfied with my stay and relaxation time in it. The furniture, sweet sleeper bed, and the sleeper sofa bed I slept on the second night (when my friend's family visited the room and stayed in the bedroom) was comfortable.
#6 THE BEST FOR LAST: SERVICE
Last, but not least, this hotel excelled the most with its service. Despite the beginning wait for my room the front desk staff was very enthusiastic, helpful, and accommodating, and stayed up to speed with the housekeeping the best they could. The courtesy cards for the appetizers and cocktails was an extra gesture and evident example of their courtesy, hospitality, and sincerity. The following morning, when I was about to pass the front desk, I heard one of the clerks call out my name to say hello and check on my stay after the first day. I was surprised that she still knew who I was. She asked me how my sleep was. Very personable and caring gesture, too.On my first night when I used my appetizer card in the Gallery restaurant, the waitress/ Manager and the bartender were very attentive and friendly when waiting on me. The kitchen service was very fast and the food was delivered very quickly. The food quality was also excellent. The Calamari and appetizer and Molten lava cake were delicious and cooked perfectly. Likewise, on that note, the food quality from the club floor lounge service was also excellent. All morning breakfast and night snack buffets had a nice variety of food offerings, and were delicious. The containers were also kept clean and stocked well throughout, as well as drinks, too. No complaints. Eunjolie had been a great, friendly, generous, helpful, and positive attendant. She was absolutely on top of everything. If some food had run out, she just immediately replenished it without hesitation. Great service! On the second day when I was away from the hotel for a couple of hours and returned, housekeeping cleaned my room again perfectly! When my friend and I were trying to look at details for possibly renting a pay per view movie in the suite living room, we couldn't find them and he called the front desk and engineering to get the problem fixed. One of the repairmen immediately showed up to look at the t.v.and then had the cable company fix it as it was quickly attended to and the program was perfectly recovered. The t.v. worked and we instantly found the details! Just another Sheraton hotel I've been to with a mark of impeccable service to lift up and lighten the mood with comfort upon any stay!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms with views overlooking the West (Plaza) and the 47th street Plaza views are the b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your very informative feedback. We truly appreciate your comments about our team and please know they will be shared. I would also like to apologize for the delay in getting you checked in early. We do try to honor all early arrivals in a timely manner. There is not much I can do about the view but I have followed up with our team to ensure all rooms are properly inspected for condition issues prior to rooms being occupied. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews, but I was so underwhelmed by my stay, I had to post...from my room.

Location is great, value is good. Room wasn't the cleanest. Huge black stain on the wall, desk had a coating of dust on it. Other colleagues had rooms that had climate issues.

Room service is fair. I did the "breakfast sign" last night. My window was 730-745. It didn't arrive until 750. Seems small but when you're waiting to shower or do things until after the food arrives, it's annoying. No salt and pepper, eggs were swimming in butter, potatoes were cold. No glass of water. Coffee in the room was better than what came up from downstairs.

These are all very small things, and that's why I say I expect more from a Sheraton. Definitely not a horrible stay, but I'd consider the Marriott or Hampton if I were here again.

• Stayed August 2013
My sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered during your recent stay. Please know that I have followed up with both our housekeeping team and our new Food & Beverage Manager to ensure we are inspecting what we expect, to deliver a "10" experience to our guests.
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room was decent. A little dated, but clean, and with a very comfortable bed. Where it failed was in the area of amenities. No bath mat? Interesting. Coffee maker, yes. Coffee cup? No. You can't brew a steaming cup of coffee into a 6 ounce flimsy plastic cup. Too bad I didn't notice until 10 minutes before I was ready to leave the room. Cordless phone receiver? Good idea, since these are suites. Would have been a better idea if the receiver had worked. It didn't. I ordered a wake-up call using the speakerphone, but the call never came. Not sure whether to blame that one on the front desk or the phone battery, but either way it was not a good experience.

The public areas were good, with the exception of the pool area. The hot tub was not inviting, and the entire indoor pool area was very run-down in appearance.

Maid service was very late, and poor at that. On day one the housekeeper on my floor acted like she was doing me a favor by moving her cart (which was dead center in the hallway) so that I could maneuver the luggage cart to my room. She didn't say a word. Instead, she huffed, glared at me, and moved it slowly to the side. My room was not made up until well after 5 pm each day, and guess what? No coffee and no coffee cup.

Long story short, a comfortable bed and a good location don't make up for poor customer service. A hotel guest should be made to feel like a valued guest. This stay didn't live up to expectations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
You are absolutely correct as you should feel valued as a guest and we should have met that expectation and I apologize that we did not. Please feel free to contact us directly so we can invite you back and experience the type of service you expect and deserve.
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel needs updating: the bed my wife and mother-in-law got here was sloped toward the middle, making for a very poor night's sleep. When they checked in, the front-desk guy was not very friendly. There was no toilet paper in the bathroom when we got to the room. The indoor and outdoor pool area is nice and the hotel is within walking distance of the plaza.

Room Tip: Don't pay for parking at this hotel; there is a free parking ramp across the street (just be car...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hello coolmacdude!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the feedback regarding your experience and will share your comments with our team.

I apologize for the poor experiences you described regarding the service of our staff and the bed in the suite. We strive to provide a friendly and welcoming experience with all our guests as well as comfortable accommodations. I am sorry we were unable to do so. Please feel free to contact me at 816-931-4400 if you wish to discuss further.

Grand Haven, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I spent 4 nights here for business and overall it was a good stay. The room was such as having a king bed separated from the living room with a set of french doors. The door's windows were only covered with sheers, so if you plan on having total privacy between the living room and the bedroom, don't. I was the only one in my room, so that did not make a difference to me.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and did not show signs of age as other users have mentioned, and the living room was large enough to chill out after a long day of meetings.

My breakfast was paid for, so I can't speak to its cost. However, I found it mostly fulfilling and enjoyable with a selection of both cold and hot breakfast foods. The only problem I had was on the last morning, there was different cook and they were apparently not ready for the 6am customers. This led to a bit of a wait for some eggs and apparently the different cook had a different estimation on when bacon was "done" (this morning was a bit extra crispy).

The location of the hotel is great with it sitting right in the end of the Country Club Plaza district with many restaurants, bars, and shops easily within walking distance. This worked out great for me as we were shuttled everywhere and did not have a car.

I'd be happy if we get booked there again for our next trip to KC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hello Eyebolt!

Thank you for the review on TripAdvisor! We really appreciate the comments regarding your experience with us!

I am glad you experienced clean, comfortable accommodations and you enjoyed our Country Club Plaza location. We hope to see you the next time your group is in town!

Herzelia, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We came to this hotel through a recommendation of local friends.
However, we had a reserved late time checkin - 11:00 pm - when we got to the reception desk the girl told us that they can't respect our guranteed reservation because the hotel is : FULLY BOOKED ! We were shocked... they told us that there is a convention in town and had no choice but to send us for one night to a far Holiday Inn... To make the story short we couldn't do nothing and went there. The next day came back and they were thrilled to appeace us. We stayed there another 4 nights and it was ok. I'll not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Yharary!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your comments as we appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests.

I apologize about having to relocate you during your first night, but I am glad you enjoyed your stay the next four nights.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We are SPG Gold members and decided on the Sheraton due to its location to the plaza and a weekend family event. Check-in went fine. We were booked into a 4th floor room, not the SPG floor. Not sure why that occurred so I asked. It is reserved for SPG Platinum. That is the first time that has happened at any hotel I have stayed at. The rooms on the 4th floor faced the roof top AC units. It did not pose any problem with noise. The rooms are ready for an update and quite frankly I cannot believe they book out the rooms with massive stains on the floors (see pic). We had 3 rooms booked to include my parents and sister's family. My parent's room had a stain that was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel room. Our room was had mold in the shower handle (see pic) and the baseboard by the pocket door was icky (see pic). The beds were ok and provided a good nights sleep. The breakfast buffet was good ($16). Hot tub was closed while we were there and the restrooms in the pool area also need refurbished. Not sure I would choose to stay here again. Stayed at the Westin one year ago and enjoyed it more plus we got the SPG floor.

Room Tip: Rooms are a suite...with a living room and bedroom. The small fridge and microwave are handy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FredDeLaRosa, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello laurad_staffco!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor as we appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests.

I apologize your experience was not up to your or our standards and we will share your comments with our team as we work to resolve the issues you mentioned. Please feel free to contact myself if you wish to discuss this matter or any other concerns you may have.

Fred DeLaRosa

Been to Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza? Share your experiences!