“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Kansas City B&B and Inns
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I had a very nice stay here after going to see Fleetwood Mac in concert. The staff and owners were delightful and helpful. We were greeted upon arrival with a short explanation of how and when things worked followed by sparkling white wine and chips with homemade black bean dip. Cookies and chocolate in the room when we came back that night was a welcome treat. Breakfast was very good as well. Close to plaza area and Nelson art gallery.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My flights to Kansas City were cancelled (the day of the trip, obviously). Refund policy: must pay 100% of first night; pay 50% of fees for all remaining reserved nights unless room is rebooked. In sum: because of UA's cancelled flights, I am now paying this hotel upwards of $250 for the pleasure of having made a reservation through their website. I do think it's critically important to support local businesses, but I won't be making reservations at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
southmoreland, Owner at Southmoreland on the Plaza, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hello and thank you for your note. We are sorry that your flight was cancelled as we were looking forward to serving you during your three day stay in Kansas City.

We are a bit surprised that you felt uninformed about the details of our policy. The cancellation policy is outlined on our website. Secondly, in order to make an on-line reservation, guests are asked to read the terms of the cancellation policy and must agree to it before the reservation can be made. Thirdly, we email a confirmation note to the guest outlining the policy applicable to their reservation. We do our utmost to share this and in no way attempt to hide it in fine print.

We do understand that cancellations are frequently due to circumstances out of the guest’s control but they are out of the Inn’s control as well. To minimize any cancellation fee we are very diligent in attempting to rebook cancelled rooms by contacting our wait list and ensuring the room is immediately made available for online booking. Should a potential guest call we make sure to include the cancelled room in our description of the available inventory. In your case we were able to rebook one of the three nights reducing the total charge by $65!!

While the circumstances are unfortunate we feel we have acted in good faith. So, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future and we hope that the airlines were able to readdress your travel plans.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was looking forward to staying at this Inn with my husband. I knew that it seemed to stay pretty busy because it had always been booked in the past when I was looking at making a reservation there. I was happy when I saw that they did have a few rooms left for the date that I wanted to reserve. I made a last minute reservation approximately a little over 48 hours prior to when we would be staying at the Inn. We booked the August Meyer room which is the only room that is located on the first floor. My husband and I both currently have restrictions when it comes to stairs so we knew this room would be the best suited for us. I made our reservation through the BedandBreakfast.com website. I made sure to send over our dietary restrictions when I made the reservation. I also sent over a separate email directly to the Inn just to be on the safe side. I have adverse reactions to certain items and there are certain items that my husband won't eat. I was a little bit surprised when I never heard back from anyone. On the day that we checked in, the staff never mentioned anything about the dietary restrictions so I brought it up. It was a good thing that I spoke up because nobody had anything regarding the dietary restrictions. The parking situation at the Inn was a little scary too. The Inn was located in a very busy area of town and was surrounded by lots of apartment buildings. The street parking was very limited. The Inn offered a private parking lot for the guests and that lot was located behind the home. There was only one driveway in and out and it was very narrow. You also had to deal with stone walls on certain sides of the driveway. Our car is smaller and it was scary for us. We can't even imagine what someone would do with a larger vehicle. The small private parking lot isn't the easiest to maneuver around either especially if there are a lot of cars parked in it. Our room ended up being nice and we really didn't encounter any of the guests that were staying at the Inn that night. The next morning was a totally different situation. Our room was located next to the main staircase. It was also near the front door and the main dining room. My husband and I planned on sleeping in and then eating a later breakfast. The noise during the morning was terrible. I had worn earplugs to bed and my husband is hard of hearing and we still had problems with all of the noise. We later found out that there was a Retreat going on at the Inn. One of the staff had mentioned something the previous day about the Retreat because they were finishing up when we checked in. We didn't realize that the people attending the Retreat weren't actually staying at the Inn. There were at least 10-15 people attending the Retreat and they were using the meeting room that is located on the first floor. The people attending the Retreat started showing up bright and early that morning and that was why the door knocker and the door bell were being used so frequently. The people from the Retreat also had to use the first floor restroom which wasn't too far away from our room. Our breakfast also got interrupted by the people from the Retreat. We sat down to a very nice and private breakfast. There was music playing and my husband and I were having a very nice conversation. The second half of breakfast wasn't so nice because the Retreat decided to take a break. All of the people came through the dining room past our table to use the bathroom, chat, make phone calls, etc. It was really annoying and inconsiderate. None of the people would even talk to us but they would stand near our table and make comments about what we were eating. Luckily, the food was very good. We finished breakfast as quickly as possible and did what we had to do to pack our car and check out of the Inn. There were a few minor issues during check out too but once again it was due to a lack of communication between the staff and not knowing what was going on. My husband and I normally stay at B & B's and Inns when we travel. We also have multiple friends that are Innkeepers. We just expected a lot more from this Inn especially for the price. This Inn had enough staff plus the owners that things should have been run better. The place was a bit pricey. We have stayed at plenty of other places that have been less expensive and have been quieter and have provided more amenities and better customer service. Our one night stay at this Inn was truly disappointing!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Have stayed many times here. Staff is friendly and helpful. They have a great gourmet breakfast and a beautiful porch Walking distance to the plaza and a museum. Lots of nice extras included like wine and appetizers on arrival, Chocolates in the room, etc. Just wonderful

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gladstone, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Southmoreland is a great place to stay close to many Kansas City attractions. It is in walking distance of the Nelson-Atkins Museum plus a short drive to the Plaza for shopping and restaurants. Innkeepers Nancy and Mark are always welcoming and helpful. The food is excellent from appetizer and wine on arrival to the wonderful breakfast. It is a place we stay often and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in the Carriage House for a long weekend. Top notch. One of the best B&B's we have stayed at. Great food, great service and just a well run Inn. I was worries that this might feel a little "corporate" since it was larger than the B&B's we normally stay at, but they did a wonderful job of making us feel welcome and as if we were one of the very few guests. Wine and cheese was nice and the breakfasts were outstanding. Parking is tight and when it snowed it was challenging getting in and out, but much better than being on the street I guess.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My hubby and I were looking for a place to stay that was not so far from home but still felt as if we had been whisked miles away. Well we found that in Southmoreland. Beautiful, classy with a very friendly and highly professional staff. We felt as if we'd come to stay with family. They treated us like royalty. We stayed in the Claire and Russel Stover room and we loved it!!! Nancy and Mark are the best host and hostess their staff is bar none. We had a breakfast that had been featured on the Food Network the ginger waffles with lemon cream sauce. We were in heaven. There were home made cookies. The lovely hors d'oeuvres, sherry in our room and the amazing whirlpool tub for two are just a few of this place's many charms. We will definitely be coming back. This place is amazing!!! Mark is a 5 star cook and he and Nancy run what is in our opinion a 5 star inn!

Room Tip: Upstairs room are quieter as you can barely hear conversations and no footsteps.