“Very Satisfied--Great Family Hotel--Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #55 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Sedalia, Missouri
“Very Satisfied--Great Family Hotel--Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

First of all I have to say that although I expect a great deal from a hotel and their staff, I also understand that 1) I am not the only guest they have & 2) they are all human and can make mistakes. That being said my family and I had a fantastic two days at this hotel. We were greeted by very friendly people when checking in and the lobby is beautiful. Our room was clean as well as all the sheets. The black out blinds on the windows are fabulous!!! We had a nice view of the stadiums as well. We did not have any trouble with our AC and we stayed nice and cool both nights even though the temperatures were 100+ outside. The beds were comfortable and we had plenty of pillows. Bathroom was clean with plenty of clean towels. Oh and hot water was NOT an issue...at other hotels there is usually an issue with not having enough hot water with so many people showering first thing in the morning...not here...Loved it!

We also went to the water park that is attached to the hotel, but away from all the rooms so you are never bothered by any noise. My children ages 5, 7, and 12 had so much fun...ok I admit my husband andI had a lot of fun as well. It isnt just for kids and we enjoyed riding the tubes down the slides, sittng in the hot tubs, floating on the tubes around the indoor "river" and standing under the HUGE bucket of water when it tipped over in the middle of the water resort too. There were lifeguards everywhere and they were very focused on watching the water and kids, which made me feel very comfortable about my children's safety. The water was nice and warm as well as the air temperature so we were never cold while playing. There is also a small bar for the adults that would rather sit back, relax, and watch your children play...which you can do easily with all the lifeguards they have! There is a snack shop as well which sells refillable cups that I suggest everyone buy for themselves or your kids...refills are either $1 or 99 cents and you get to keep the cup as a souvenir. Lockers are also provided for a fee and there are showers and changing rooms. My only suggestion for the water resort would be to have a day or two that they are open during the week when school is in session...home schooled children as well as children under 5 could still have a chance to play, as well as special needs children that have a hard time with the crowds on weekends.

The restaurant located inside the hotel had fantastic deals on food...there is a breakfast bar available and kids under 12 eat free with a paying adult. My kids LOVED all the choices they had and my husband ate more buscuits & gravy than I even knew was possible both days. Dinner is free for children 12 & under (they have a choice of 5 or 6 different meals) with a paying adult as well...how can you beat that?? And we found their prices to be fair and the price of their pizzas is FANTASTIC, an entire pizza with pretty much whatever you want for $10 and no its not a small pizza...its a big one and it was delicious. We also had several other entrees (fish & chips, hamburgers & fries, ceasar salad) there and they were all exceptional. They also have a lounge inside the hotel right outside the restaurant and if you are lucky enough to get Natalie as your server then you hit the jackpot!! Seriously she was the most friendly, caring, lady and our whole family fell in love with her. She is definitely the BEST person I have ever had wait on me and my family...she is reason enough for us to return to this hotel. In fact every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful.

The indoor pool was also a huge hit with my kids as well...it was so warm and relaxing. I have never been in a hotel pool inside that I didnt think was on the chilly side but they had this one set at the perfect temperature.

We have nothing but good things to say about this Holiday Inn and anytime we had even the smallest issue there was always someone there to fix the problem right away. I hope eveyone has as much fun there as we did...and we will definitely be back for more food, water park fun, and hopefully we are lucky enough to have Natalie as our server again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Victoria D, Manager at Holiday Inn Kansas City SE - Waterpark, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time for sharing your experience with us. It is great to hear that you had such a good time. We do take pride on our customer service and apparently it showed through your stay. Natalie is a great server and she will love that people stopped and took the time to tell everyone about her. I hope that you come and visit us again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Topeka, KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

For a Holiday Inn property, I was expecting more. Staffing seemed to be an issue during my stay as it appeared there wasn't enough staff members to keep up with the demand. Checkin took a half hour. There were two at the front desk but the lines at both were 5-6 deep. All employees were very courteous though. I had booked two rooms and we were able to get them adjoining.
In one room, there was an issue with the ac. Maintenance was called and when we returned 4 hours later, it was still not working. Maintenance called again and did come and fix it. The rooms both contained double beds which we knew when booking. Comfort was adequate. The rooms were average in their amenities. When walking around on the carpet though, we noticed the bottoms of our feet were very dirty so obviously the carpet was too. The rooms had great room darkening shades.
The water park was very good. Compared to Great Wolf Lodge, although this is smaller, we felt it was better. Plenty of lifeguards present, everything was working and employees were friendly. I would return here again. Children's ages were 5 through 11 and all had plenty to do. There is an outdoor jacuzzi area for adults only which was spacious. The snack stand was understaffed and therefore wait times were long but the quality of food was fine. Prices were not unreasonable for a place like this.
The arcade had a variety of games but very pricey. The card system is very confusing and a $20 card went pretty fast compared to other places. The ticket redemption area offered a nice variety of items for the kids although the amount of tickets for some things seemed ridiculous. And if one was a few tickets short, you were not allowed to make up the difference in cash as offered in other places.
The hotel did have an activities center (coloring, painting, etc.) for younger kids that was a plus but they are only open until noon. The business center was nice offering 4 computers for usage but no monitoring. Every time I went to use one, kids were on them playing games.
The Tradewinds restaurant needs proper management. This property offers Kids Eat Free which is true and why we ate there for dinner. Not many people when we arrived which should have been a clue since the property was very busy. The staff was not that friendly. There was a long wait for anything we requested. Our dinner took 45 minutes to arrive after ordering. The quality was just okay. I would not return to this restaurant again.
All in all, the stay was acceptable but I would just come for the day if I was coming for the waterpark and stay overnight somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. i apologize that it took a while to check you into the hotel. During peak check in hours we are very busy as we have a lot to let our guests know about and like to take our time with them. I do apologize for the issues that you experienced but am very glad that you did enjoy the waterpark park and the kids club area as this is what we pride ourselves on. Hopefully you can come and visit us again soon.
Emporia, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We booked this hotel because it was close to Kauffman stadium. We did not get in until after 11 pm and our reservations were made for the following week. The staff was very polite and found us a room. The first room was in the middle of a remodel so they had to move us to another room. The second room was disgusting. The AC unit was leaking water all over the floor, everything was dusty and there were dirty towels hanging over the shower. I did call and complain to the front desk and they sent someone up at 1 am to look at the AC and sent someone up with fresh towels. I was already disgusted but decided it was too late to find a room elsewhere so I decided to shower. The shower did not drain. The beds were comfortable but after seeing the lack of cleanliness I was hesitant to sleep in them. I did complain to several different staff during our stay and nothing was done. One of the staff even told me "oh man that sucks, I'm sorry." Really? This is how a complaint is handled. The most frustrating part yet is that I have been on their website and written a complaint and I still haven't heard anything from them. What happened to customer service?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria D, Manager at Holiday Inn Kansas City SE - Waterpark, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I do apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay. If you would like to contact me directly I would be glad to speak with you further regarding your stay here. I can assure you that I share your feedback with the management staff so that they can address your issues and more importantly have them not be repeated for future patrons of the hotel. I am glad that the staff was very polite to you as that is very important to us. Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have to say that I was concerned with the reviews I had read on this hotel. We had a family vacation in July and checked in on a Sunday. We had been told that our check in would be at 3pm but we arrived around 11am and got our room right away and were able to pick up our tickets for the zoo (we booked a package). My first impression of the lobby was modern, the staff up front was helpful, and while our room was near the elevators, it was not noisy at all.

The 11th floor offered a view of the freeways and of the KC Royals stadium. Our room was clean but I would suggest requesting a roll away bed if you have 4 staying in your room ($15). We had two kids with us, so the Full sized beds were not ideal. However, they were comfy with clean sheets and our choice of pillows. There is a good size closet (w/ iron and board) ,a big desk, a coffeemaker with coffee and cream/sugar, and a mini fridge.

There is a Denny's across the street which is where we mainly ate. We ate at the hotel restaurant once after a day at the indoor waterpark, and while the food isn't bad, it's overpriced and the service was slow. (Kids under 12 eat free, though).

CocoKey (the indoor waterpark) is good to spend a few hours. There are lockers that you can rent for the day ($5) and showers and other amenities in the restrooms. If you are staying at the hotel, you can just take your stuff downstairs. There is a bar and a small cafe for food also. The hotel does have towels in the bathrooms designated for the pool area, but they are on the small side to lay out on a chair. There are many lifeguards walking around keeping an eye on things, and even though it is a small waterpark, it's good for an afternoon.

The hotel is not far from other restaurants in the area, though you can look up other options in the business center in the lobby. On our way home, we stopped by Oklahoma Joe's on a recommendation from a friend...and we were not disappointed. If you are looking for real deal Kansas City bbq, you need to stop by Oklahoma Joe's restaurant!.

Overall, our experience was positive at Holiday Inn and CocoKey water park. I think it's good for a weekend trip with the kids. Be sure to check the website, as other packages are offered to round out the weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I also appreciate the great pictures that you provided. Being right across from the stadium has its perks not only for convenience but the view is beautiful. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that you and your family can come back and see us again soon.
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We took our grandkids to the Coco Key Waterpark and stayed at the adjoining Holiday Inn for two nights. While the kids had a great time, there were a couple of disappointments with the stay. When we got ready for bed the first night, one of the beds had hair and dirt in it. My wife called the guest services and they said they would make a note of it. We ate in the hotel restaurant one evening, and the service was very slow. There were only two waiters for the six tables, but it seemed to take forever to get water, etc. On a positive note, when we checked out, I told the front desk clerk about the dirty bed, and she did deduct half the price of the room for that night. (The other half was for tickets to Coco Key). Other than those two items, we had a really good time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I do apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay with the sheets. I am glad that our staff did address these issues and resolve them. It is also good to hear that you had a good time here and do hope that you return soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

We went to celebrate the middle child's birthday and everyone was disappointed. The waterpark is for the under 6 crowd, the arcade overcrowded and the birthday pack wasn't available upon check in. We were told to come back in 30 minutes multiple times before it arrived. The positive is we were able to check in at 10th am and the room had a refrigerator and recliner. The kids swam at the regular pool outside and watched netflix on the free WiFi.

• Stayed July 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have to say my expectations were not very high before staying here. Our bi annual family reunion was at this location this past weekend. Before traveling, I read all of the reviews on this site and other major travel sites was very concerned about all of the bad reviews this hotel has received. With that being said, there are very few things I can actually complain about. The rooms-There were 2 areas with rooms, the main hotel area with 15 floors on the West Wing and the East wing which had 3 floors and separate elevators. The majority of our family were located in the East wing. The rooms were spacious and I liked that it had a refrigerator. None of our family members on either side had any problems with the air conditioning. I am a person who sleeps with the air on 65 degrees so this was extremely important to me. Even the hotel common areas were very cold during our stay. The staff-the staff were friendly and courteous enough but there was no real sense of urgency during check in. The lobby was crowded when we checked in since the Royals were playing and there was a Army retreat and another reunion going on at the same time. There were 2 children who were stuck in one of the elevators in the West Wing and the staff were prompt in getting them out. The food-I did not personally eat in the Tradewinds restaurant so I cannot comment on it. However, I would like to mention that Ladasia was very courteous when I made an inquiry at the restaurant. We had a banquet on Saturday night which was nice but the chicken breast was obviously undercooked (not cooked at all). Coco Keys waterpark-the waterpark is nice for the kids. I think this was a great place for those with children with the waterpark and arcade. For those without children (like myself) or business travelers, this is a good place to stay as well. There was not a lot of noise as the park and arcade were located away from the rooms. The parking-I was concerned about the parking but I parked in the front of the hotel and took out all belongings. The lot stayed full most of the time with the exception of Sunday afternoon. I was too afraid to park in the back of the hotel since there was a history of break ins. It was reported that there were a couple of break ins while we were there. It would be nice if the hotel had security patrolling and/or camera with controlled parking to help reduce the break-ins. I was pleased with my stay especially after being very concerned about the air conditioning. I would recommend this Holiday Inn and would stay here again if the opportunity presented itself.

Room Tip: The rooms on the East wing did not have elevator problems.