“Please Let the Night go Quickly..” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Aladdin

You added Holiday Inn Aladdin to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Aladdin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1215 Wyandotte Street, Kansas City, MO 64105 (Formerly Citi Centre Plaza Hotel & Aladdin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #50 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
kansas
“Please Let the Night go Quickly..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Checked in on a busy Friday night. Service was ok , they were working to get everyone checked in. Went up to our rooms.. Dirty hallways lit by florescent bulbs showcasing the popcorn ceilings. The room.. Ugh! Decided to tough it out as we knew we couldn't get anything else. The last straw was the fabric headboard w stains.. Gross .

• Stayed June 2013
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! I apologize the hotel was not what you had in mind. We work to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests. I you would like to give me any more information, please contact me directly.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The complimentary champagne was great, as well as the unique décor. However...the Incidental Policy could have landed us in jail! I paid for the room in advance for a lower rate...so I was surprised when they required a credit card with a balance of $100 (for "incidentals"). I offered a $100 bill, but was told it must be a card. We said we didn't have that. The woman promptly told us there was a pharmacy four blocks away, that sells prepaid credit cards. The room was paid for, and nonrefundable...so we had no choice. After going and getting the prepaid card, it was declined. I called the number on the back of the card, and learned that when $100 is charged, $120 is the amount held. I'm still confused about this...but the front desk person should have known and told us to put $120 on the card. Thankfully, she accepted the lower amount. The room was dusty, with a dirty champagne glass on the window sill (there was also a strange bug in the bathroom). In the morning, when we called the front desk to get more creamer for our coffee...we were told no. We checked out, and decided not to complain...we just wanted to leave. The biggest issue came when we tried to pay for breakfast (after we had eaten it), using the same prepaid credit card. The cc company told us that when a hotel puts a "hold" on an amount, the funds aren't available for seven business days (even though the hotel had "released" the money). We didn't know what to do. After some tears...my friend found a forgotten credit card in her wallet, with enough money to pay for the meal. If not, would they have called the police? Of course, if the hotel staff had told us this, we couldn't have gotten the card...but then we would have lost the same amount of money (having paid for a room we couldn't use). I have never heard of such a policy (and I used to work in the hotel industry)!! I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review! Most all hotels have the same policy that we operate under when regarding incidentals. I apologize that this may not have been explained to you very well at check in. Our policy is to have a credit card to place a hold on for any incidentals such as food and beverage, but it is also our insurance policy on damage done to the rooms. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need more clarification.

Grove City, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great old hotel that is architecturally interesting and in a very good location near the power and light district. With a special rate I was able to get a hotel room for roughly half the cost of nearby hotels which was a big bonus. The hotel rooms are quite small - it is a "boutique" hotel which roughly translates to "this is an old building so what can we do?" - but still comfortable and functional. The lobby is quite interesting as is the outside of the building.

The biggest positive is the location as you are within two blocks - if that - of the very nice power and light district which has a number of nice restaurants and activities to enjoy. We were even able to walk down to the National WWI memorial and Union Station from our location which was another positive.

The only thing that prevents me from listing this as excellence was two things. First, while the bed and linens were clean the bed itself was quite uncomfortable and neither my wife or I had a great night's sleep. Second, the other glaring issue was customer service. In general, I did not feel as though the hotel was that attentive to its guests concerns. Normally I would just pass this off as a perception except I did have a situation which underscored to me the lack of service. They do have a nice valet service which gives you unlimited in/out privileges which is a benefit. However, after a night of exploring Kansas City we drove up to use the valet and after coming in the man behind the desk explained the valet was busy but he'd "get to it." This meant my car was going to be left out on the street until the valet could be summoned. I was worried about this response so after we went up to the room I went back to the lobby to watch over my car and see what happened. 45 minutes later (!) the person manning the desk finally went to park my car with the valet still no where to be seen. While I am gratified he actually did it I doubt it might have even happened within 45 minutes had I not been "lingering" to see what they did. I'm not sure how long they would have let my car sit out in the street readily able to be ticketed or broken into, but I was VERY disappointed by that.

It's a great location and so if you can work your way around the service issues it is a nice place to stay, just be aware.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! I sincerely apologize that the valet service was not what you expected. I appreciate your feedback and will be able to address it with our motivated staff. We want all of our guests to have a magical experience, and with great feedback like yours we are able to become a better hotel.

Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from K.C and loved the Aladdin. Started off with valet parking and free champagne for my wife and I, bingo, I am happy. Room updated and very clean. Service was outstanding and valet very reasonable for being downtown. The location is awesome, near all the restaurants in Power and Light District. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at our beautiful hotel! The free champagne is one of my favorite little "extras" too! We hope you will be back very soon!

Platte City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway for the night. We had no reservations and walked in not knowing what to expect. The gentleman at the front desk, Jai, was sooo welcoming. He helped us out a ton and made us feel so welcome. We were also given champagne upon check-in, which was a nice treat! We were given a great, comfortable room with a great view. He was professional and extremely kind. He made many suggestions on things to do in the area. It was a perfect, much needed, night out and we really appreciate everything Jai did for us during our stay. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate all of the wonderful compliments about our Assistant Front Desk Manager Jai! We all work very hard to provide a magical experience for all of our guests. We hope that you come back very soon!

Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located a few blocks from Power & Light and the Sprint Center, definitely within walking distance.

Valet parking is available. It cost me $16. The parking garage across the street charges $12 (and from what the front desk told me, they will charge you that every time you remove your car). You can get your car as many times as you need from the valet for the flat rate. Definitely pick the best option for you.

My room was a bit on the small side, but very well-furnished with coffee-maker, hair dryer, chair & ottoman, individual thermostat, desk, and flat-screen TV with cable. Wi-fi is free for 7 days, and is fast. Bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly. Sundries available in the lobby. Room service available. USA Today complimentary and delivered to your door.

I am usually a budget-lodgings sort of person, but this hotel was paid for by a conference I attended. I consider it to be a very nice experience and probably worth the money.

Room Tip: There were a few rooms in the same little opening as the elevators. I can't imagine how noisy th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate all of your helpful feedback for other travelers coming into the KC area. We strive to provide not only a great product, but a great experience! We hope to have you back soon!

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Aladdin is a very cute, 1920's era hotel located just a few blocks from the convention center and the Power & Light entertainment district. All of the staff were super friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but that is to be expected from a boutique hotel. Walls are a bit thin, so it can be noisy if you're a light sleeper. Bring your ear plugs! : )

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the hallway, away from the elevators to mitigate noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful hotel, and we hope to have you back again very soon!

Director of Sales and Marketing

Been to Holiday Inn Aladdin? Share your experiences!