“Great staff and charm win the day” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Aladdin

Priceline.com IHG
Holiday Inn Aladdin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1215 Wyandotte Street, Kansas City, MO 64105 (Formerly Citi Centre Plaza Hotel & Aladdin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #55 of 110 hotels in Kansas City
Champaign, Illinois
“Great staff and charm win the day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A charming Art Deco facility directly across from the Convention Center, the Aladdin will appeal to those who do not insist on the latest and greatest in accommodations. Our room was cramped but clean and comfy. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. There is an ample buffet breakfast (or order from the menu) in the Zebra Room, and a lounge on the Mezzanine (Martini Room) offered a nice opportunity to relax after a basketball tournament we were attending. (Unfortunately, the bar closed at midnight on Friday --! --- and the bartender, Barney, had a bunch of women waiting for him to get off work, so he wouldn't stay open later for the full room.) We also used the $16 a day valet parking - self-parking is $12 a day - and it was well worth it. Location is great, right in the heart of the action and walking distance from the Power and Light District. I would happily stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate all of your nice compliments! We hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to Kansas City!

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Aladdin is definitely an interesting little place. If you have a bit of an artistic bend and lean towards an art deco flair then the Aladdin is for you. The lobby is relatively small with odd chaise lounge seating and small short tables. There's no place to sit comfortably in an actual chair and wait for a companion to arrive.

The rooms that I have seen are somewhat small and built into every nook and cranny of the old building. This is not necessarily a bad thing but is unique in today's "all the same" cookie cutter hotel rooms.

I wouldn't recommend the Aladdin for a business stay but it's perfectly fine for a nice personal stay in downtown KC with a fair price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! Our hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places and, yes, offers a unique experience for all of our guest. I hope that the next time you are in Kansas City you stay with us, and are able to experience the Martini Loft on the second level that overlooks the lobby.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The people who work here are nice and helpful and good sports. Every person working for the hotel greeted me, hotel is clean, and I think Holiday Inn has done a good job to keep the old hotel going. I think they are making a good effort. There is no view from my room. The gym is good for me, walking distance to a large selection of good places to eat.. Front desk has discount cards for eateries. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I will pass along all of your great comments to our staff. We take great pride in ensuring all of our guests have a magical experience at the Aladdin!

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Aladdin. The staff was very friendly. We were offered champagne at check in, which was a really nice touch. They have a nice valet service and it's reasonably priced at $16 per night. When we called down to get our car from the valet before dinner, the front desk person forgot to pass the message on. To make up for it he offered us another glass of champagne and within 5 minutes we had our car. He knew how to make us happy! The room was nice & clean. We really enjoyed the decor - it was different and fun. The only reason this hotel is not getting 5 out of 5 is because we requested a late check out, which they granted us, but seemingly didn't inform their cleaning staff as they knocked on our door two different times before we were supposed to be out. Other then that we had a great time. I think this hotel is very reasonably priced for the location - literally right across the street from the convention center and 3 blocks away from Power & Light. Even in the cold winter weather, it wasn't a bad walk to get down there and we felt safe walking back. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in downtown KC!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay! We love making our guests happy, and what better way than champagne! I apologize you were disturbed after your late checkout request; we will make sure to cover that with our team.

Timbuktu, Mali
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were booked here as it was very close to the convention center & we were in the area for a trade show. Our sales meeting was also held at the hotel, so we were set to have lunch and dinner for two days straight, in the hotel itself. The food we were served was basically inedible. My husband, who eats anything, couldn't / wouldn't eat it. For lunch the first day & dinner the second, there were items that were truly unidentifiable, covered in some kind of white-brown sauce. Don't try that, stick with the salad, or pasta, which was also not good, but looked somewhat safe. The best meal we had was lunch the second day, consisting of cold cuts & cheese. It was honestly refreshing to see.
The bartender was a tall gentleman (using that term loosely) with a really bad attitude. Looked like he had something other than milk, in his Cheerios for breakfast, if you know what I mean. Thought maybe he was just having a bad day, but upon our return the second night, he had the same miserable attitude.
This is considered a boutique hotel, and the ambiance in the lobby reflects that, BUT the rooms are VERY small, we had standing water in our shower & sink & mold in the bathroom. Not all of our commorades had the same bathroom troubles, but the rooms are consistently "boutique-y" small, like NYC. Our view was a brick wall.
Fortunately, we were able to check out early & switch hotels to Crowne Plaza, huge room, sunset view & CHEAPER!
Not to be totally negative, there was a young man that took care of our meeting room, set up the meals and catered to our EVERY need that was fantastic. I wish I would have gotten his name, so I may have included it in this review.
Bottom line - cute hotel, if you dont mind smal rooms/bathrooms, horrendous food (conference food & restaurant), so eat somewhere else. (So much good food in KC!) Skip the bar too, if the tall miserable guy is there...
Sorry for the bad review, but thought someone might like to know-

Room Tip: Go to the Crowne Plaza to choose a good room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. During your stay our city experienced about 15 inches of snow in a two-day period and pretty much shut the city down. Our employees were unable to make it in to work for a few days, and we worked very hard to make the hotel run smoothly due to the unusual circumstances.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Friendly quirky place that offered me champagne the moment I stepped up to check in. It was a hot horrible summer day and that champagne was perfectly timed. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the location was perfect for the conference I was attending. I love boutique hotels and the Aladdin is right up there with the funnest of them. The room was clean and wonderful and I had know problems with the internet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! I will pass along all of your great compliments to our amazing staff. We take great pride in making each stay as memorable as the one you experienced. We hope to see you again, and soon!

Mount Juliet, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recently stayed for three nights while attending a convention. The hotel exudes historic charm. The room was clean and decorated nicely. My room was quite small(on a corner). Since I was the only occupant, it suited my needs perfectly. If there had been two of us, it would have been very cramped. If the cost of the room had been lower, I would have been completely satisfied with my stay. I assumed that I was paying for the great location, however, my friends who stayed at the Crowne Plaza down the block, were paying $50 less per night. One major drawback: the Aladdin hotel had a no-refund policy regarding reservations, so if I had to cancel my trip, I would have been out the cost of the entire 3 night stay. Considering the unpredictable weather in February, the no-refund policy made the week before my stay nerve-wracking. Regarding the staff: every staff member that I came in contact with was extremely helpful and nice. I didn't know that there was a tunnel connecting the hotel to the Convention Center until I was bracing myself to go out in the cold and a very considerate bell-hop informed me. The tunnel was extremely convenient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! We do have an amazing hotel and staff! The location of our hotel is perfect for anyone attending a conference at the KC Convention Center, or doing business in the Downtown area. The rate you booked was our Pre Paid non-refundable rate, which offers a very deep discount off our regular rate. All hotels offer this as an option. Thank you so much for staying with us!

Director of Sales and Marketing

Been to Holiday Inn Aladdin? Share your experiences!